Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by hoby1
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

With MMR on the horizon, I was looking to pick up some protectors and wanted to illicit some feedback on which ones people recommend/prefer as well as putting together a comprehensive list of what is available (I couldn't find one). I assume that the current protectors will fit MMR. Please let me know if I am missing something, if any of the below are no longer available or needed or if there are other alternatives/substitutes. Here is what I came up with:

1. Catapult (Cliffy).
2. Left castle eject (Mantis).
3. Moat jump and ramp (Cliffy and Mantis). Protects the hole behind the castle.
4. Castle Protector (Mantis). Protects the lower front lip of the castle and castle side door.
5. Drawbridge (Cliffy). Protects art at the edge of the moat that contacts the drawbridge when it is in the down position.
6. Merlin hole (Cliffy and Mantis).
7. Ramp protectors (Cliffy). Will MMR require these? If so, two for each ramp would be needed.
8. Shooter lane (Cliffy). Left and right side ejects and rail guard.
9. Plastics protectors (Pinbits).

Thanks.

Post edited by S37VEN: Added plastics protectors, removed switch slot protectors as balls do not drop onto inlane switches.

#2 5 years ago

That is a bad assumption. I know that some of the protectors don't fit well or at all on repo play fields. Hopefully what we get is very close to original. I still bought all the protectors anyway, but I'm expecting some of them to not fit.

Also, maybe ad plastic protectors from pinbits to the list?

Quoted from S37VEN:

I assume that the current protectors will fit MMR

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I know that some of the protectors don't fit well or at all

Care to elaborate?

#4 5 years ago

What about the makrolon playfield protectors?
ebay.com link » Medievil Madness Makrolon Playfield Protector

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Care to elaborate?

The mantis Merlin protector won't fit a repro without modification. I had to file the Merlin hole to get it to fit. The mantis is visually the most pleasing but I don't think it is feasible once the playfield is populated and installed.

I love what cliffy has done on the other stuff but the mantis moat ramp protector is the way to go. It fits perfectly and it's laser etched to resemble cobble stones. Very cool.

The mantis fits the moat kick out fine too with no modification.

I never worried about the catapult protector.

I wonder if PPS will include the explosion plastic for the middle ball guide at the castle launch.

#6 5 years ago

Okay, I've looked at all the pics I can find. Does the ball fall off the ramp right on the inlane switch or above it? Looks to me like the ball doesn't fall on the inlane switch so we wouldn't need these.

Quoted from S37VEN:

9. Universal switch slot protectors (Cliffy). One for each inlane.

#7 5 years ago

Where can you buy Mantis protectors?

I emailed them a week ago...haven't heard a thing.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Also, maybe ad plastic protectors from pinbits to the list?

I plan on machining my own.

#9 5 years ago

Jalpert I think you are right. Balls drop before switches so no need for inlane switch protectors.

2 years later
#10 3 years ago

To those interested in this thread with the compiled protector list, here was some recent experience.

Here's the list of protectors I compiled.

--Cliffy--
Catapult
Drawbridge protector
Shooter lane ball eject
Two switch slot protectors
PF flipper drain
Castle drain hole (not installed, went with Mantis)
'

--Mantis--
Castle drain hole
Castle protector w laser etched rock pattern
Moat eject hole
Merlin hole
'

--Pinbits--
Merlin hole
Plastics protectors (not on yet)
'

The Mantis castle drain hole protector was installed instead of the Cliffy version. Some people have said they prefer the mantis version protectors for new pins, but that wasn't specific to the MM castle drain hole per say. That one went on last as it looked ugly for install. In the end it wasn't that bad.

And interestingly, the merlin hole has two protectors in it; one on top (pinbits) and the other in the dished hole (mantis). Works great together, no issues here. Haven't even needed the rubber damper piece.

The plastics protectors install is more work and aren't installed yet, I'll pick away at it, but am in no rush since it's huo.

Everything went fine, no significant changes in game play, and it all looks great. Nice! And lots protected!

There is that new flat cliffy to protect the top of the pf around the moat, which I may consider, but I also have mylar and am leaning to using that for simplicity. Info here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-protectors-mantis-or-cliffy#post-2654041

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

To those interested in this thread with the compiled protector list, here was some recent experience.
Here's the list of protectors I compiled.
--Cliffy--
Catapult
Drawbridge protector
Shooter lane ball eject
Two switch slot protectors
PF flipper drain
Castle drain hole (not installed, went with Mantis)
'
--Mantis--
Castle drain hole
Castle protector w laser etched rock pattern
Moat eject hole
Merlin hole
'
--Pinbits--
Merlin hole
Plastics protectors (not on yet)
'
The Mantis castle drain hole protector was installed instead of the Cliffy version. Some people have said they prefer the mantis version protectors for new pins, but that wasn't specific to the MM castle drain hole per say. That one went on last as it looked ugly for install. In the end it wasn't that bad.
And interestingly, the merlin hole has two protectors in it; one on top (pinbits) and the other in the dished hole (mantis). Works great together, no issues here. Haven't even needed the rubber damper piece.
The plastics protectors install is more work and aren't installed yet, I'll pick away at it, but am in no rush since it's huo.
Everything went fine, no significant changes in game play, and it all looks great. Nice! And lots protected!
There is that new flat cliffy to protect the top of the pf around the moat, which I may consider, but I also have mylar and am leaning to using that for simplicity. Info here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-protectors-mantis-or-cliffy#post-2654041

Are the switch slot protectors really needed? The only ones I do not have currently....

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Are the switch slot protectors really needed? The only ones I do not have currently....

No, the ball drops an inch above the switch slots in the outlines. I would recommend a small square of Mylar instead.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Cliffy provides two switch slot cliffys in the MMR protector kit in lieu of the ramp protectors in the MM kit, since MMR already has ramp protectors. Some here say it isn't really needed for the MMR. Most wouldn't consider it a big deal one way or another. They do look good, and I may order more for my other pins with a ball drop above inlanes or outlanes with a switch.

6 months later
#14 2 years ago

Just got the Mantis castle protector along with , pinbits and cliffys.

Would be nice if Mantis made a version of the castle protector without the hole.

Just my opinion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside