Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM01580.jpg
CAM01581.jpg
CAM01545.jpg
Misa-Kitara-Digital-Guitar-6.jpg
IMAG0253.jpg
image.jpg
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

I still prefer big fake boobs over real or unreal MMs.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Nuts! Two of the best games ever created and just because they don't fetch 10k doesn't make them any less. I want a MM but, won't be parting with these 2 to get one.

No offense but to each his own. Really would like your Scared Stiff

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

VP vs physical pinball is like silicon boobs (can I say boobs on this forum? oops) vs real big natural ones. They are fake and different, but they look real enough (if tastefully done same as in case of VP table), you get to enjoy them in the same way, in the same interface and you break the barrier of being impossible for your girl to be retroactively born with big natural ones if you really want her to have them as in to be brought back in time to 2000 to buy MM or AFK at some reasonable price.

Excellent Analogy... why? Because it includes boobs. ..nuff Said

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I still prefer big fake boobs over real or unreal MMs.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

For the prices that MM are going for, I could easily get 3 other A-listers like IJ, LOTR, and TZ.

True, but what if you dont want / can't have more?
Or in some other cases, some buy the MM and then get another 2-3 list titles.

Opinions are just like assholes, everybody has one and so it should be

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I would say now a year later, no game is worth that kind of cash.

I agree 100%.

To me, NO GAME (unless someone makes a killer new Elvira game!) is worth $10K+. Sure they're fun, but not $10k+ fun.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Absurd analogy.

I think it's actually a very good analogy, but it really hurts my desire for a virtual pin. :-/

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

errr, this analogy is flawed by your apparent bias (afterall, you do have a considerable amount of finances "imprisoned" in physical pinballs

errrrr, wrong. I have both, so no bias, just a more informed opinion than most as they are only feet apart. Since time is my most valuable commodity, if anything my bias should be towards my video pin as I spend a considerable amount of more time working on it. (building, modding, software)

Keeping with the subject asked by the OP, bottom line for me, when I purchased my MM I had enough disposable income and room that it did not effect my standard of living and I was able to comfortably purchase necessities without going in debt. I am sure that is true for all of the MM owners as I doubt they made huge enough sacrifices that it made their families suffer. As the price climbs, the number of people that can afford it without sacrifices decrease. 10k is enough money that many people simply can't spend it without consequences. So you will probably see more and more people saying it is not worth it.

As repeated many times, it depends on your financial situation and how much room you have.

PS- Real guitar versus Guitar Hero is an apple to apples comparison. Both are video game facsimiles that try to emulate its real world counter part. Your boob analogy is a great visual but really doesn't fit. Anytime boobs get brought into a discussion, I'm not going to complain.

#59 10 years ago

Owned one for several years and played it to death. awesome fun game, but like any pinball, once you've mastered it and played it hundreds of times, you move it along and get something new.
If you've never owned one, you need to. Awesome all the way around - art, flow, sound and music and just fun factor.
I don't give very many games a 10, but I really can't find flaws with MM.
D

#60 10 years ago

Owned one for several years and played it to death. awesome fun game, but like any pinball, once you've mastered it and played it hundreds of times, you move it along and get something new.
If you've never owned one, you need to. Awesome all the way around - art, flow, sound and music and just fun factor.
I don't give very many games a 10, but I really can't find flaws with MM.
D

#61 10 years ago

It's a great game, I played the hell out of the one that was at my local arcade as a kid though, so it wouldn't offer anything new, I'd rather own a good game I haven't played. Also I like having a variety, and for that price you can have a few really nice pins. So if you're on a normal person budget I think there's no way I would ever own it for the price point.

#62 10 years ago

errrrr, wrong......

PS- Real guitar versus Guitar Hero is an apple to apples comparison. Both are video game facsimiles that try to emulate its real world counter part. Your boob analogy is a great visual but really doesn't fit. Anytime boobs get brought into a discussion, I'm not going to complain.

I would have to disagree with this entirely. Unless of course your guitar hero interface looks like this and the game is rewritten to make you have to know how to play a real guitar:

Misa-Kitara-Digital-Guitar-6.jpgMisa-Kitara-Digital-Guitar-6.jpg

#63 10 years ago

There is now a NIB MM for sale in NL. Very rare but comes from a seller with a good reputation.

Really wondering how much it will reach. It is a closed bidding process.

Will it be more than 20k? I think so

Anyway, no way this pin justifies this kind of money. Yes, it is a great pin but there are more great pins

#64 10 years ago

Would be pointless to buy a nib for stupid money, You're going to play it so the instant you buy it you've devalued it, plus it isn't dialed in, I'd rather spend less and get one that's well kept. If I were to spend that kind of dough on a mm anyways.....

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

As you know, some MMs for sale a over $ 10k in Aust.
Is the price justified purely due to rareness, or is the gameplay that good?
Be interested to hear if its worth spending that much.

Not at all. It's a middle range game as far as gameplay goes. No better than your middle of the road games like STTNG, Wh20, and such. But many gravitate towards it for Status, or because of the nerdy theme/toy it has. The toy is pretty cool, but playfield layout is the cookie cutter boring fan pattern we see overdone 100 times and the rules are shallow and uneventful. If I had a collection for 50 or 60 games I would have kept mine, but as of right now, there are 50+ other games I would rather have than MM.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

you use that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

Hmm...you might try using an online dictionary...they are very useful.

ab·surd
əbˈsərd-ˈzərd
adjective
(of an idea or suggestion) wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate.
"the allegations are patently absurd"
synonyms: preposterous, ridiculous, ludicrous, farcical, laughable, risible, idiotic, stupid, foolish, silly, inane, imbecilic, insane, harebrained, cockamamie; More
antonyms: reasonable, sensible
(of a person or a person's behavior or actions) foolish; unreasonable.
"she was being absurd—and imagining things"
(of an object or situation) arousing amusement or derision; ridiculous.
"gym shorts and knee socks looked absurd on such a tall girl"

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Nope. Used to think so, but I've played too many machines lately. It's awesome. It's top shelf in all categories from art, to play, to theme, to music, to sound, but it's not the prohibitive outlier I once thought it to be. While no games I think have the across the board excellence it does, way too many compete or eclipse it in a couple of areas for it to demand such a premium.
If I had a budget of $30k for a game room I don't think it'd make the list. There's just way too many other machines you could get. Now, for a budget of $40k or $50k...?

Tend to agree. With unlimited budget and space MM would be in my lineup. Otherwise... there are better and cheaper games. Finally found a LOTR I paid... less than $3k.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But many gravitate towards it for Status, or because of the nerdy theme/toy it has. The toy is pretty cool, but playfield layout is the cookie cutter boring fan pattern we see overdone 100 times and the rules are shallow and uneventful. If I had a collection for 50 or 60 games I would have kept mine, but as of right now, there are 50+ other games I would rather have than MM.

Harsh but true...

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

how much did they sell for on release ?

About $3400

LTG : )

#69 10 years ago

Another yes.

#70 10 years ago

Varied opinions as I expected. I have the money, lacking se room though. Have never played it, which is why I was asking. Ill have look tomorrow and see.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Have never played it,

Definitely do that.

Final decision is if you like it or not.

LTG : )

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

MM is my favorite game on my simulator. Is it worth over 10 grand? Not to me because I can play it on my simulator.

Unfortunately, I think you said YES to drugs.

#73 10 years ago

From newest to oldest

IJ - Slow return from the pops to the left flipper is boring.

ACDC - Many shots that make it to the bell hole don't even count.

Stratoflite - EM's suck to get running from dead compared to SS games. Mine is still broken.

Flash - UR flipper is not very important but looks good.

High Speed - Car 504,he what?

AFM - The force field. The objective is to get to the wizard mode, not complete. Wizard mode 2X is easier than it should be.

MM - everyone who newly joins the hobby starts an "is it worth it post" and tells me I only have it because I have a small member. Also needs a 5 way combo or super jackpot objective to match its awesome wizard mode. People don't get how great royal madness or BFTK is.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

because I have a small member.

15k can get you a larger one.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

For the prices that MM are going for, I could easily get 3 other A-listers like IJ, LOTR, and TZ.

Wrong! those titles would cost more, beaters of these maybe.

#76 10 years ago

Play almost any Stern LEs and you'll see why it's more YES than NO.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

kwiKimart said:

Wrong! those titles would cost more, beaters of these maybe.

I don't know, MM's going for $15k in good shape, the three others can be found in the same shape for around that price.

I don't hate MM, think it's fun, but I would absolutely 100% take any one of those machines on their own over MM.

I think there is someone smart a long time ago who had a warehouse full of WPC95s that found a way to manipulate everyone into thinking these are all worth more than everything else out there, despite the fact they are generally more shallow than the great DMD days of the early 90s.

#78 10 years ago

I've never played a game of mm that I didn't enjoy, no matter how terrible the result was. I can't say that about too many games. No comment on price.

#79 10 years ago

MM is a great game.. but imo not for 10k.
For half price you can get a mint lotr, that imo is a waaaayyy better game.
MM you will get bored with it faster than you think.

#80 10 years ago

MM is simply one of the best games ever made. If you have the money it is worth it. If you don't have the money there are certainly better values out there.

#81 10 years ago

I agree with buying LOTR instead. If you like that Fan pattern and Medieval theme. LOTR is a far superior choice. It's 100x's deeper and more involved than MM. Great bang for your buck. Even if both games were valued at the same price. LOTR is still a far better choice.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I agree with buying LOTR instead. If you like that Fan pattern and Medieval theme. LOTR is a far superior choice. It's 100x's deeper and more involved than MM. Great bang for your buck. Even if both games were valued at the same price. LOTR is still a far better choice.

Already got LOTR, and agree, great game.

I think I'm going to hold off spending that much on a machine. Hope someone else nearby gets it instead.

#83 10 years ago

Totally worth the money, MM is the best game i have ever had, i dont regret what i payed for it becouse it gives me a great time playing it, thats most important for me.
MM is expencive yes, but there is a really good reason for that

CAM01545.jpgCAM01545.jpg

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Varied opinions as I expected. I have the money, lacking se room though. Have never played it, which is why I was asking. Ill have look tomorrow and see.

If you have free cash it's a no-brainer... just consider it an investment rather than a purchase. If one becomes available within a reasonable distance, ideally in a very good or worse condition, you buy it, fix/upgrade it, play it for 1-5-10 years, and sell it when your done. In the end you are only out the shipping and any maintenance/upgrades you have in it (and maybe some insurance premiums). Best case, it goes up in value and you make a profit (get paid to have it in your game room!), worst case, prices drop and you lose a few thousand dollars.

Only problem is if you have a 100% mint collectors trophy piece... then you may not want to use it or the wear could reduce the value, which is why you'd be better off with one with a few more flips in it

#85 10 years ago

Not worth it I'd rather have a nib stern

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Not worth it I'd rather have a nib stern

When I was contemplating getting a NIB Metallica Premium, I thought "Whoa! Wait a mimute! If I buy a NIB Met Premium it will be the most I've ever paid for a game...$1,100 more than my MM!" So I decided to get the Pro.

#87 10 years ago

If you can afford it and it makes you happy, it is worth it. Also, if you are one of those who believe that the market for this game is not about to crash, you also believe that you can sell it for something close to what you paid if you tire of it. Like someone else said, non-pinheads think we are nuts anyway. Kind of funny that within the pin community, we each rank ourselves as comfortably crazy while we think others are f'ing bonkers. Social strata within the asylum!

#88 10 years ago

It's a status thing. They are not scarce by any means, every large collector I know has one. I know more than 3 people that have 2 of them. It's a fun game, it's great to play, it's even nice to just look at, but the big question is: Do you have 10k for one so you can join the club?

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballShawn:

It's a status thing. They are not scarce by any means, every large collector I know has one. I know more than 3 people that have 2 of them.

Does the term "non-sequitur" mean anything to you?

#90 10 years ago

IMO, I wouldn't walk across the street to play one, let alone buy one for $8-15k. Game does nothing for me. But to each their own.

#91 10 years ago

I'd like to get a MM one day, but $10k is my limit on any pin and it looks like my ship has sailed for this title already. I hope the price comes down one day so I can own one.

Kevin

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Does the term "non-sequitur" mean anything to you?

How does what I said have nothing to do with the topic, or the previous statement? The OP asked our opinions, and I gave mine. Maybe you don't agree with what I have to say, but that was my opinion. However, I do appreciate your clever interjection, you must be very intelligent.

#93 10 years ago

How does what I said have nothing to do with the topic, or the previous statement? The OP asked our opinions, and I gave mine. Maybe you don't agree with what I have to say, but that was my opinion. However, I do appreciate your clever interjection, you must be very intelligent.

You weren't supposed to know that the fancy term "non-sequitur" didn't apply at all to your comment.

The sharper the marble, the quicker the flea! I win!

#94 10 years ago

Try to understand what I was saying. You can have an opinion. But you said

It's a status thing. They are not scarce by any means, every large collector I know has one. I know more than 3 people that have 2 of them.

How is it a "status thing" if so many people have one (or, more accurately 2 of them since you know more than three people who have more than two). Seems pretty common. Hardly a "status thing".

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How is it a "status thing" if so many people have one (or, more accurately 2 of them since you know more than three people who have more than two). Seems pretty common. Hardly a "status thing".

The same way an iPhone is a status thing. BTW, maybe you meant something different than a non-sequitur. A good example of a non-sequitur would be: "MM is not worth the money because you can get a pac-man arcade game for one twentieth as much."

#96 10 years ago

I have a minty mint mint MM. It took me years and selling many machines to get it (in fact, at the time just to raise the cash I had to sell XM-LE, POTC, & RFM).

And I'd do it again in a heartbeat....

As far as "worth the money" that really depends on your own bankroll. If you're flush with cash then definitely YES! If you're pinballin' on a budget then stay far far away from this game.

I didn't even truly understand the depth of the game until I owned one and now I am amazed. The colorDMD also looks truly spectacular on it as well(but then again all the ColorDMD's do).

In a world where a NIB LE will cost you 7-8k, you can pick up an MM for ~5k more than that... Tough Call....

#97 10 years ago

Tough call... naaaah... i payed top dollar for mm but the condition is incredible.
Its worth every cent, every penny, every dime, every pound every well you get the idea

#98 10 years ago

awesome machine, pricey but worth it as it stands up against anything made today

#99 10 years ago

I guess I am just in the wrong tax bracket for MM.... Cant live in it, wont get me to work.... If I had the cash laying around, I would buy 3 Bally/Williams games instead. Or Cactus Canyon, if I wanted the last Pin from my favorite makers.

#100 10 years ago

I guess I am just in the wrong tax bracket for MM.... Cant live in it, wont get me to work.... If I had the cash laying around, I would buy 3 Bally/Williams games instead. Or Cactus Canyon, if I wanted the last Pin from my favorite makers.

Well i dont complayne

CAM01581.jpgCAM01581.jpg CAM01580.jpgCAM01580.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.99
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-worth-the-money/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.