Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by swf127
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CAM01580.jpg
CAM01581.jpg
CAM01545.jpg
Misa-Kitara-Digital-Guitar-6.jpg
IMAG0253.jpg
image.jpg

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

As you know, some MMs for sale a over $ 10k in Aust.
Is the price justified purely due to rareness, or is the gameplay that good?
Be interested to hear if its worth spending that much.

#2 6 years ago

Prices are getting steap on this title. If I had the money I would buy a very nice AFM for a couple K less. MM is a very fun game. Should it demand over 10K on fun factor alone probably not. But on supply and demand absoltuely. You might want to bring your number up a bit they are fetching closer to 14.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

If I had the money I would buy a very nice AFM for a couple K less. You might want to bring your number up a bit they are fetching closer to 14.

It's an all time classic game, even though I do prefer AFM a slight bit more. Really, it's how much $$$ you got. You seem to have some big titles, and 10 games so it could be for you. Usually I would shy away from it in a smaller collection as you'd be expecting it to take over your life for that much cash.

Without playing one first of course, you'll never know.

#4 6 years ago

Yes

#5 6 years ago

I've never seen this asked before......

#6 6 years ago

Not to me, but I've had several opportunities to play it in on location.

#7 6 years ago

Here's the answers you'll probably get:
From those who own it: yes, it's amazing, and I'm never selling it!!
From those who don't own it: no, totally overrated, and I would never buy it for that price!!
For me: I'm somewhere in between. I like it, but I don't love it. But I also believe I could love it if I played it more. And also since I own and love both AFM and TS. It would make sense that I loved it.

#8 6 years ago

If money doesn't matter or fate lands you a cheap(readonable) one, it is an awesome game. If money or fate, is lacking there are plenty of awesome other titles.

#9 6 years ago

It's a great game, but it's also got that "keeping up with the Jones's" appeal.

#10 6 years ago

ITs not all that different than a Bowl A Rama.....the holy grail of ball bowlers. If you can find one in restored condition, they are in the $20,000+ category.

For those with a serious high end pin collection, its incomplete without MM. Which is why they currently fetch 14K+ on the market.

#11 6 years ago

Nope, if the ratings were started all over today, MM wouldn't be at the top, a great game on location....

#12 6 years ago

Yes. No. Yes. No. No yes. No no. Yes yes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and those with lots of cash.

LTG : )

#13 6 years ago

MM is a Killer Game!

image.jpg

#14 6 years ago

HELL NO!!!!!

#15 6 years ago

I think so, paid a lot more than 10k for mine!

#16 6 years ago

You could also try the Farsight virtual pins before putting that much money on a pin you never played. Some old classics are hard to find on location. It has some of the top names to try for free on android ipad xbox...

Personaly I think it's a good game but not the best. Sure you have the collectability and scarcity to make it valuable.

I prefer MB, SS,CC, CFTBL.

Think TZ, STTNG are way overrated

#17 6 years ago

Depends on how much money you have, how much space you have, and if you are thick skinned enough to take insulting comments from the average public on how much you paid for something that is considered a toy to many.

#18 6 years ago

MM - worth the money?

No, not at all. It's a good game, but not the best, and it simply goes for way too much now.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

...and if you are thick skinned enough to take insulting comments from the average public on how much you paid for something that is considered a toy to many.

But it IS a toy; all these machines are.

I'm sure some will disagree, but just because the Richie Rich collectors have picked this particular game to separate the elite from the peasants, let's not act like MM is curing cancer or something.

It's a toy, and that's FINE.

#20 6 years ago

You are right.

It is just a box with a steel ball. An art collection is just paint on paper. All hobbies are nonessential activities. I could just as easily criticize somebodies choice in a 500 dollar handbag when a plastic bag serves the same function.

Popping a tag on a pinball purchase is just as asinine as any other discretionary purchase. I think it is funny that people judge other people for owning one 10k ball box instead of getting 2 5k ball boxes for the same amount of money.

I look at it this way. You already are crazy for owning any pinball machine in the eyes of the average person, might as well purchase what you want as you are the only one that matters. Don't worry what other people think as they have already made up their mind.

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

let's not act like MM is curing cancer or something.

Not as earthshaking as a cancer cure, but I just think of all the discretionary money that I spend on my pinball hobby, versus other vices out there that would tempt me, I realize I am better off and still happily married because of it.

#21 6 years ago

It's a great game that is over-inflated on price due to it's relative scarcity. Because of the theme, it still does well on location.

It would be an absolutely no-brainer to reproduce another couple of thousand of them at $7k a piece. I understand the licensing issues but if someone could figure it out they'd be printing money.

#23 6 years ago

I guess it all depends on how deep your wallet goes.

#24 6 years ago

Yes. I would say so. The build up to the wizard mode is intense and you don't get tired of it. I love it. But I got mine for 7500 then did a high end restore. I could sell it today and take a profit (probably $4000 even after restore) but its never leaving and that's the real answer to if its worth the money or not. If no one is selling there MM, then the $10,000 routed, the $12,500 decent example, the $16000 very nice, and the $18000-$20000 restored by a top notch restorer or huo is worth it when a for sale comes along.

#25 6 years ago

Yep.

#26 6 years ago

This thread repeats, so you can read past ones for more input, and obviously the answers span from both extremes. I am fortunate to own one that I paid under 10K for, and it is absolutely a blast to play, no doubt about it. Not better than my others, but different, different play and feel, depends on your mood, time to spare, etc. However, I personally find TS and LOTR better and more challenging in different ways, and play them more. There is no right answer to this question for any game. I try to live by the rule of buying one at a price that you know you could probably get back for it if you do not like it, nothing lost. At 14K, however, not many people in the market to unload that one without a big loss. IMHO.

#27 6 years ago

Nope. Used to think so, but I've played too many machines lately. It's awesome. It's top shelf in all categories from art, to play, to theme, to music, to sound, but it's not the prohibitive outlier I once thought it to be. While no games I think have the across the board excellence it does, way too many compete or eclipse it in a couple of areas for it to demand such a premium.

If I had a budget of $30k for a game room I don't think it'd make the list. There's just way too many other machines you could get. Now, for a budget of $40k or $50k...?

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

You are right.

It is just a box with a steel ball. An art collection is just paint on paper. All hobbies are nonessential activities. I could just as easily criticize somebodies choice in a 500 dollar handbag when a plastic bag serves the same function.

Popping a tag on a pinball purchase is just as asinine as any other discretionary purchase. I think it is funny that people judge other people for owning one 10k ball box instead of getting 2 5k ball boxes for the same amount of money.

I look at it this way. You already are crazy for owning any pinball machine in the eyes of the average person, might as well purchase what you want as you are the only one that matters. Don't worry what other people think as they have already made up their mind.

Well said brother!

#29 6 years ago

This exact same conversation came up a few months ago and I was called a troll for saying that I didn't think so.

I still don't. MM is a great game, and it does everything right, but even when I was offered one for under $4k (many moons ago), I could buy 3 or 4 other machines I really wanted for the same price, and no matter how awesome MM is, it isn't better than 3 to 4 other machines.

If you don't have the space though and you got the money, sure it's worth it

#30 6 years ago

MM is my favorite game on my simulator. Is it worth over 10 grand? Not to me because I can play it on my simulator.

IMAG0253.jpg

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

MM is my favorite game on my simulator. Is it worth over 10 grand? Not to me because I can play it on my simulator.

No offense, but you are not playing it, you are playing a video game of it.

Playing lead guitar in a band > Guitar Hero,

Driving in a race > Need for Speed,

MM pinball > Visual Pinball MM

This goes for any video pinball versus real pinball, and is not exclusive to MM.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

This goes for any video pinball versus real pinball, and is not exclusive to MM.

I agree, and have made 2 killer virtual pins in the past and sold them. It's like virtual sex.....it's just not the same as holding and feeling something real

#33 6 years ago

For the prices that MM are going for, I could easily get 3 other A-listers like IJ, LOTR, and TZ.

#35 6 years ago

The MM (and other A list BW pins) pricing boom was always going to happen in Australia. It was just a matter of time (but it typically follows 8-12 months after the US experiences a similar market fluctuation).

I cannot see much point debating the merits of the pin (is it worth it?) at this stage. The market has set the price, slagging off the machine won't bring it back down in the interim.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I agree. And sadly I will never get a chance to do those things on the left in my home. Simulation is to do the things you can't in real life. Not to do the things you can. I'm sure I understand the rules and strategies for MM better than 90% of those who don't own one.

The question was, "is it worth it?". For me, the answer is no. I can enjoy a lion's portion of the enjoyment of MM for a marginal cost of $0. Certainly I'd rather have a MM than my simulator, but I'd also rather have 240 other tables in my house as well. I've got 5 real pins to play and my simulator still gets as much attention as the "real thing". Maybe if I were to take up competitive pinball that would change. As it is, it's all still just fun for me.

I understand why people buy expensive art, sports cars, boats and airplanes. I just don't do it. If you really can't find something better than a MM to spend 12 grand on, you must not be looking too hard. If you are investing in it, that's something totally different.

#37 6 years ago

how much did they sell for on release ?

great game,
worth over 10k not

#38 6 years ago

trying to justify the big ticket purchase , You know you want one Pull the Trigger

#39 6 years ago

I have $12k + shipping into my nice example I purchased in March of this year. It is the family favorite. The nice thing in my mind is that if I ever do decide to sell it (not likely any time soon) it is very possible that I won't take a bath on my cash and maybe make a little. Either way, I probably won't lose as much as I would have if I put that money in a boat, for example. This money, for me, would have been simply sitting in a bank and not earning anything as part of my "disaster fund". I'm very fortunate that I earn enough that the expenditure did not hurt me financially at all.

That being said, I know many, many people are not in that financial situation. I would put MM and any other pinball on a list of totally discretionary spending (obvious) and so in my situation playing MM > money in savings earning less that 1%.

From a play standpoint, like I said, it is the family favorite and the favorite for just about anyone who comes over and doesn't know anything about pins.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

For the prices that MM are going for, I could easily get 3 other A-listers like IJ, LOTR, and TZ.

I agree with this post.. Yes, MM is an amazing game and well worth some type of premium based on game play and scarcity. However, for the same money you can pickup a nice AFM, a CV and potentially one other A-list title. Given the choice of having only an MM or an AFM, CV and a TAF, I'd take the three games in a heartbeat. As great as MM is, if it's your only pin you will become bored with it eventually.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

If I had the money I would buy a very nice AFM for a couple K less.

DING DING DING! Solid advice! AFM is a much better title! Find a really nice one and you have a game to keep for a very long time!

#42 6 years ago

This topic should be banned from being brought up in pinball forums much like Stairway to Heaven is banned from being played in guitar shops

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

This topic should be banned from being brought up in pinball forums much like Stairway to Heaven is banned from being played in guitar shops

how about smoke on the water riff

#44 6 years ago

Since MM seems to be the gold standard these days, I would compare it to actual gold. When gold was climbing fast and selling for $1000 an ounce, I kept thinking "I need to get some of that action." I finally talked myself into buying it at $1500. I was happy with that decision until recently. The moral of the story is: the trend is your friend, until it ends.

If you can stand to lose a few thousand, and you've played the game and you think you won't get tired of it, go for it. At least you'll get some enjoyment out of it. It's a much better investment than a family vacation in Europe.

#45 6 years ago

I like the game, and if I had that kind of money to spend on a pin I would probably do it. I could sell some pins and come up with the money, but I know I would probably sell it after awhile knowing how much money I have wrapped up in it.

To answer your question, I think it's a fun game. Is it the best pin ever? That's debatable and depends on who you ask. Is it worth the money? Again depends on who you ask and their financial situation. For me personally, no I don't feel it's worth spending that kind of money on a pinball machine, even MM.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

errr, this analogy is flawed by your apparent bias (afterall, you do have a considerable amount of finances "imprisoned" in physical pinballs), differences between need for speed and actual driving or virtual sex vs real sex or guitar hero vs real guitar are far bigger. why?

first, both virtual (in a really pimped up cabinet) and real pinball have completely same interface. --you're touching real pinball flipper buttons in both. Tactile perceptions are matched. You have contactors simulating coil firing and shaker motor simulating vibrations

-you're watching a projection of a physical steel ball wrecking havoc in a closed box through the glass plate vs. a projection of a drawn steel ball with almost the same physics wrecking havoc in a same sided closed box through the same glass plate. This is not matched 100% due to 2d and drawn graphics, but there isn't a $9000 difference for sure. It's like hi fi audio fans arguing against mp3. it covers all frequences that can be heard, no matter how much they'd want to believe otherwise. but they get outrageous amounts of money to get that 1% performance more and it's more about elitism than actual perception.
Real pinball machine is only a state machine as its virtual counterpart, although one with significantly more states than its model, but not all of those states matter in gameplay (you can't break plastics in VP or get the ball stuck in all those places designers never intended ball to be stuck at). Pinball rules are still governed by the same ROM as in physical one.

Collectors not liking it, but the fact is - visual pinball is far from perfect replication but it gets the job done 90% dead on with much less hassle and for much less money.

Now, the actually correct analogy is this:

VP vs physical pinball is like silicon boobs (can I say boobs on this forum? oops) vs real big natural ones. They are fake and different, but they look real enough (if tastefully done same as in case of VP table), you get to enjoy them in the same way, in the same interface and you break the barrier of being impossible for your girl to be retroactively born with big natural ones if you really want her to have them as in to be brought back in time to 2000 to buy MM or AFK at some reasonable price.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

Now, the actually correct analogy is this:
VP vs physical pinball is like silicon boobs (can I say boobs on this forum? oops) vs real big natural ones. They are fake and different, but they look real enough (if tastefully done same as in case of VP table), you get to enjoy them in the same way, in the same interface and you break the barrier of being impossible for your girl to be retroactively born with big natural ones if you really want her to have them as in to be brought back in time to 2000 to buy MM or AFK at some reasonable price.

Absurd analogy.

#48 6 years ago

you use that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Think TZ, STTNG are way overrated

Nuts! Two of the best games ever created and just because they don't fetch 10k doesn't make them any less. I want a MM but, won't be parting with these 2 to get one.

#50 6 years ago

I went for MM last year and its a sweet game. I would say now a year later, no game is worth that kind of cash.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 229.99
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 11.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
9,400 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs
$ 16.00
$ 399.95
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 209.00
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside