14272479547_e6da1b8680_b (resized).jpg
EC838AFD-E1F8-4FFB-B6CD-6DCFBFC3F37C (resized).png
5A5554B7-B55D-491E-BCA6-5AD4A3FD8E51 (resized).png
455DD6BB-5101-4870-9489-95FFB0AF5988 (resized).png
BE6C56E2-2591-4B08-9C46-08C376E37E1F (resized).png
D98617B1-5976-4A05-96BC-76167D748D82 (resized).png
E431AB1B-B8B0-42D0-851B-8AC804556286 (resized).png
50F353FD-150C-4ED4-AC80-B58511162883 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The MMr is nice, I've played a bunch of them and clearcoated them.
But if I had to buy again, I'd get the MM.
I like being able to repair things on location, not have to take boards back to my shop and make another trip.
I have a Metcal hot air rework station for surface mount repairs, but I sure can't take that out to a customer's house or bar to repair their game if a surface mount IC kicks it.
When it comes to pinball, easy to service is cheap to service!

what brand/model rework station did you get?
been thinking of dabbling, I know they are super expensive. Soon the majority of games will be using primarily surface mount devices, figured it'd be better to start learning now before it's to late. luckily everything that might have needed repair has been warrantied, so I haven't needed it yet.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The chip is a different question. How many of these or similar chips have ever gone bad? Any? The Capcom problem was just simply they didn’t have the chips to begin with to make the BBBr...that’s why the production was limited to what it was. These chips are pretty solid and not worth worrying about in our lifetime. Are the BBBr (or any Capcom game owners) worries out their PIC chips? Nope.

I own both remakes, the only issue I have with them is the proprietary boards.

they will be impossible to do repairs on unless you have a rework station.
had to replace multiple boards from other manufactures that use primarily SMD under warranty, so I haven't needed repair yet.
Sucks also because the game is down longer while your waiting on the new boards.

very similar to every other manufacture now, except spooky (think they are using p-roc which is at least used for a few other things).

I hope your right and everything will be hunky dory for our lifetime, but I wouldn't put all your eggs in that basket.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

however it would still be very extreme use compared to the life these MMRs are most likely gonna lead. The original MM games were/are commercial machinery. The MMRs are consumer machinery (maybe built to a commerical standard) so who knows if they’d survive 10 years in an arcade. But I’ll wager they’ll last damn near forever in normal home use.

so it's ok to have lower standards for longevity since it's only going to be used in the home and not commercially ... got it.

if you look at who is buying these things (where they wind up), it makes sense from that standpoint that manufactures are going away from "easy to repair" to "easy to replace". There aren't many pinball people that would dive into board repair.

sucks all the same though.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I’m not sure where you got that from, but okay.

Quoted from gunstarhero:

compared to the extreme use compared to the life these MMRs are most likely gonna lead. The original MM games were/are commercial machinery. The MMRs are consumer machinery (maybe built to a commerical standard) so who knows if they’d survive 10 years in an arcade. But I’ll wager they’ll last damn near forever in normal home use.

guess what I meant to say, is to be concerned about longevity due to the nature of repairs on SMT since it's mainly going to be used by consumers.

I don't think we really need to be concerned about CGC anyway, because even if for whatever reason CGC does go bust they will still have PPS making parts for the games and vise versa. Plus I've had my MMR on location for 2 years before I rotated it, no board problems. Just a couple of broken pop bumper brackets. AFMR is living up to the same standard. They did a great job building these games, I'm not contesting that.

spooky is fine in my book, because they have pinball life and they are now using proc as a universal standard btwn games.
If both companies go bust then... but I feel better that there are 2 companies supporting parts and not just one.
Not sure about JJP yet since they don't really have a partner company, but they haven't made it difficult to get parts at all.

So that leaves one manufacture, I know if you try to get parts for some games that are 7 years old, you might have luck or might be SOL. Plus you need to go through a distro to check on the availability on anything, otherwise emails go unanswered. So the newer games are a bit concerning to me, especially since there are so many different revisions on the boards, no schematics & no compatibility chart. With 3-4 releases a year and sometimes different model boards between the tiers of games. That's an ass load of boards to keep up with. Is it going to stop me from getting them.... no , but I'm taking steps to be prepared for when parts aren't available.

anyway, that DMD looks really nice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 29.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-mmr?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.