14272479547_e6da1b8680_b (resized).jpg
EC838AFD-E1F8-4FFB-B6CD-6DCFBFC3F37C (resized).png
5A5554B7-B55D-491E-BCA6-5AD4A3FD8E51 (resized).png
455DD6BB-5101-4870-9489-95FFB0AF5988 (resized).png
BE6C56E2-2591-4B08-9C46-08C376E37E1F (resized).png
D98617B1-5976-4A05-96BC-76167D748D82 (resized).png
E431AB1B-B8B0-42D0-851B-8AC804556286 (resized).png
50F353FD-150C-4ED4-AC80-B58511162883 (resized).png
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Having played a few MMR, a nice original that is set up well, just plays better.

Add me to the list of those that don't like the flipper feel on MMR.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

WTF? OK what ever you say dude...

From the movie Tommy Boy.

LTG : )

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

From the movie Tommy.

Isn't that the one where they smashed up a bunch of pinball machines at the end?

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The MMr is nice, I've played a bunch of them and clearcoated them.
But if I had to buy again, I'd get the MM.
I like being able to repair things on location, not have to take boards back to my shop and make another trip.
I have a Metcal hot air rework station for surface mount repairs, but I sure can't take that out to a customer's house or bar to repair their game if a surface mount IC kicks it.
When it comes to pinball, easy to service is cheap to service!

Very interesting paradigm!

#55 5 years ago

I've played both original and remake. I own a remake. nuff said.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I've played both original and remake. I own a remake. nuff said.

I've played both original and remake. I own a original. nuff said.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I've played both original and remake. I own a original. nuff said.

I've owned a HEP restored original and played a remake. nuff said.

#58 5 years ago

I own an original never play a MMr... nuf said...

#59 5 years ago

The nuff saids are rolling now!

#60 5 years ago

Get MMr, new electronics, leds, and its a great game.

Restarted my collection with a MMR LE and did not even consider a old one. Very happy with my choice.

20180427_160028 (resized).jpg20180427_160028 (resized).jpg

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The nuff saids are rolling now!

I played an original the day it dropped on location in 1997. nuff said.

#62 5 years ago

Oh and the flippers feel strong at default and too strong at +1 strength. Only original MM I played had very sad flippers so I cannot make a direct comparison. But the other Williams games I had felt about the same or pretty close. Feel a bit different then Sterns flippers but I cant put my finger on exact differemce.

#63 5 years ago

Both are great. I have an MMR-LE and love it.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Isn't that the one where they smashed up a bunch of pinball machines at the end?

I made a mistake. I meant Tommy Boy.

#65 5 years ago

Given the choice I would go with the newest one, the remake. I did that with my AFMr.

#66 5 years ago

Buy a nib or huo MMr, the redone dots alone should be the clincher. In a home environment you will have zero issues with a MMr and 20 years of age will on a MM will only cause problems.

#67 5 years ago

MMr for me.
1) it’s new!
2) the higher resolution dmd/lcd is way better than the colorDMD version on the original
3) they play identical
4) MMr has an integrated shaker which I personally love
5) out of the box the speakers do suck on MMr, but that’s an easy fix

Unless your an operator with a bunch of spare parts and want to keep it the same board set as your other games, go with new.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

In a home environment you will have zero issues

That's funny.

Have you seen how many issues the MMr home users have had already?

In 5 years where will you get a new MPU board if CGC goes under?

Would no replacement boards being available be considered an issue?

-

I mean, I hope the CGC stays in business forever, but much larger, better capitalized companies have gone bankrupt or live on in name only .

MontgomeryWards, Compaq, Wang, Kodak, Schwinn, CircuitCity, Bridgeport, Craftsman....

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's funny.
-
I mean, I hope the CGC stays in business forever, but much larger, better capitalized companies have gone bankrupt or live on in name only .
MontgomeryWards, Compaq, Wang, Kodak, Schwinn, CircuitCity, Bridgeport, Craftsman....

So glad Bally and Williams are still in business making pinball games

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And the bigger display is coming. Like the one on AFMR SE and LE

I think this is a pretty big comment - I want the bigger screen so I am waiting till that comes out. I am surprised this statement does not get more comments from people.

#71 5 years ago

MMR is the only machine that I own (Which will also be the only machine I ever own...), but don't think that I am biased. I would recommend MMR if you prefer longevity, but like you said in your original post, you like the original games. I can completely agree with that. For awhile, I considered getting a Tales of the Arabian Nights, but chose Medieval Madness over it. Anyways, enjoy whatever game you choose!

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can add Gibson to that list now too

#73 5 years ago

The hobby is resourceful enough that if cgc went under we would still get boards.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

You can add Gibson to that list now too

I saw that, but I bet the plan is to scrape off all the junk brands, and keep the core.

Why did they think they needed to buy Phillips, TEAC, Cakewalk or friggin' CerwinVega ???

What wife is going to let her husband bring a pair of those monster 15" Chinese speakers into the house?

Wife: No.
Man: But honey, I had a pair of CV D9's in my dorm, remember?
Wife: WE don't live in a dorm anymore, remember?

SL15 (resized).jpgSL15 (resized).jpg

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

The hobby is resourceful enough that if cgc went under we would still get boards.

From where?

Remember how long they worked to crack the Capcom instruction set?

The ASIC was fused, so you could not dump the code.

Remember, Capcom is still in business today, and even they could not come up with the source code.

$5,000 was offered to the person who could find a way to dump it, no one ever could.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

... Compaq, Wang, Kodak, Schwinn....

Heh, heh,
He said wang

#77 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/documenting-the-entire-life-of-a-medieval-madness-remake/page/4#post-4275496
“Documenting entire life of MMR Medieval Madness Remake On Route now 13,899 Plays”. A thread with a great member posting up his NIB MMR experience as a high play route machine.
That's the latest post. The whole thread is a good read.

No matter what you choose, it's a great great game. GL!

#78 5 years ago

Have MMr boards been a problem as far as reliability? The game has been out for 3-4 years now which should be enough time for flaws to reveal themselves like they did with the Stern node boards. They seem to be rock solid but maybe I’m wrong. I can’t recall people complaining about them.

Maybe LTG could give us some insight into how the MMr boards have performed up to this point.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's funny.
-

Pinheads are a smart bunch. In the case we need replacement boards at some point, someone will come up with them (and before you bring it up, p2k is a different beast with it’s own issues).

Quoted from srmonte:

Beat me to it.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Pinheads are a smart bunch. In the case we need replacement boards at some point, someone will come up with them (and before you bring it up, p2k is a different beast with it’s own issues).

How are you going to crack those chips?

The days of simple EPROMs are long gone.

Chips for the last few decades are fused, once the data is written, the fuse is **burnt** and now the data can not be read back.

If you could simply get the data off those PIC chips (and PIC chips are really low end devices), then every servo motor controller would be compromised.

If anyone was able to hack a modern day PIC, then no one would pay $418 to upgrade their MMr display, they would just copy the chip and pass it on to everyone.

Obviously, that can't be done......

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How are you going to crack those chips?
The days of simple EPROMs are long gone.
Chips for the last few decades are fused, once the data is written, the fuse is **burnt** and now the data can not be read back.
If you could simply get the data off those PIC chips (and PIC chips are really low end devices), then every servo motor controller would be compromised.
If anyone was able to hack a modern day PIC, then no one would pay $418 to upgrade their MMr display, they would just copy the chip and pass it on to everyone.
Obviously, that can't be done......

The chip is a different question. How many of these or similar chips have ever gone bad? Any? The Capcom problem was just simply they didn’t have the chips to begin with to make the BBBr...that’s why the production was limited to what it was. These chips are pretty solid and not worth worrying about in our lifetime. Are the BBBr (or any Capcom game owners) worries out their PIC chips? Nope.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The chip is a different question. How many of these or similar chips have ever gone bad? Any? The Capcom problem was just simply they didn’t have the chips to begin with to make the BBBr...that’s why the production was limited to what it was. These chips are pretty solid and not worth worrying about in our lifetime. Are the BBBr (or any Capcom game owners) worries out their PIC chips? Nope.

PIC chips only rarely go bad; I'd worry more about a board wiping out completely.

Like when your PC power supply toasts your MB and video card.

Some CNC machines run a very specific PC motherboard. All the spares of this board are long gone. The same board is used on industrial embroidery machines too, so 2 industries were both battling for any recycled boards that came up.

The caps on these boards always go, and although it sucks soldering a 7 layer PCB, it's do able at a bench.

But when the power supply smokes those boards, it's game over folks.

The riser card looks for that motherboard. Obviously no one has ever been able to dump the PIC (and it's an older PIC too), to alter the code. The company that created all the BS is long gone from the world.

#83 5 years ago

Just played a original players condition mm tonight. Weak flippers, weaker dmd, weaker sound, sell me again on how great these are.

Yeah sure you could do a hugh end restore but that does not cost 8500 it's much more. So yeah happy with my purchase not worried about cgc or future parts.

MMR by a long ways, unless you are going to go over 9k for a used one.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The MMr is nice, I've played a bunch of them and clearcoated them.
But if I had to buy again, I'd get the MM.
I like being able to repair things on location, not have to take boards back to my shop and make another trip.
I have a Metcal hot air rework station for surface mount repairs, but I sure can't take that out to a customer's house or bar to repair their game if a surface mount IC kicks it.
When it comes to pinball, easy to service is cheap to service!

what brand/model rework station did you get?
been thinking of dabbling, I know they are super expensive. Soon the majority of games will be using primarily surface mount devices, figured it'd be better to start learning now before it's to late. luckily everything that might have needed repair has been warrantied, so I haven't needed it yet.

#85 5 years ago

I have an original, had it for many years. Played MMr and would have bought one if I didn't have an original. Only ever had one issue on mine, the sound board and was able to get it fixed easily and cheaply. Not sure if that would hold the same for MMr. Time will tell.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I own both remakes, the only issue I have with them is the proprietary boards.

they will be impossible to do repairs on unless you have a rework station.
had to replace multiple boards from other manufactures that use primarily SMD under warranty, so I haven't needed repair yet.
Sucks also because the game is down longer while your waiting on the new boards.

very similar to every other manufacture now, except spooky (think they are using p-roc which is at least used for a few other things).

I hope your right and everything will be hunky dory for our lifetime, but I wouldn't put all your eggs in that basket.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Just played a original players condition mm tonight. Weak flippers, weaker dmd, weaker sound, sell me again on how great these are.

That machine may have well over 100,000 plays and is still in service, although probably long overdue for maintenance service. And has probably paid for itself at least twice over. And it's still alive and probably will be for many years to come.

So yeah, nothing really great there.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

what brand/model rework station did you get?
been thinking of dabbling, I know they are super expensive. Soon the majority of games will be using primarily surface mount devices, figured it'd be better to start learning now before it's to late. luckily everything that might have needed repair has been warrantied, so I haven't needed it yet.

Metcal M1000

It's not a million dollar one, but I can fix things with it

#89 5 years ago

This is a machine I would like to own in the future as well.
My preference would be an original when the time comes.
If I can find a really nice condition survivor with low plays or alternatively something that was very tastefully and well restored (thats what I would go with).
If not, then the remake it is.

#90 5 years ago

For home use mmr or original full restored

I played mmr and afmr, in home i have originals...it’s diferent touch, prefer Williams/Bally
Mmr have worst materials

For home reparations...better original

#91 5 years ago

A man from Spain speaks better English than the rest of us.

#92 5 years ago

Having had MM and having an MMR now, you’ll probably come out happy either way. I will say that I don’t get the MMR hate some seem to have, and mine plays super nice, but owning an original Williams game somehow feels more legit. The price difference would decide, I couldn’t see playing as much or more for an old MM as for a new one.

#93 5 years ago

Double post.

#94 5 years ago

MMR all the way, its awesome!

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I will say that I don’t get the MMR hate some seem to have

I'm sure most of it is people owning the original and not wanting to see it's value drop any further.

#96 5 years ago

I would prefer original as well. Played many of the refmakes and they play differently. Nothing like a nib experience I get that. Has anyone gone from original to refmake , then back to original?.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I would prefer original as well. Played many of the refmakes and they play differently. Nothing like a nib experience I get that. Has anyone gone from original to refmake , then back to original?.

I’ve done this at TPF the last couple years where there have been multiple copies of both to play and compare and ended up preferring the remakes. Fun game either way.

#98 5 years ago

I’m biased since i have MMr and AFMr and I have been very happy with both games. It might have been nice to own an original but the prices a few years back was too expensive for me to get an original.

I do like having a game with updated electronics and I love the upgraded color kit for the game. I do wish I could have had a choice for lights for the inserts.

I’ve had my MMr for about 20 months now give or take and have no regrets with the decision. It was my first NIB pin and if I could rewind back a few years I would have tried to get a MMr LE.

#99 5 years ago

Comparing a 100K play machine to a 3 year old HUO is a no brainer from a purchasing point of view. Unless you want to cover the cost/time of a decent "overhaul", most will probably say MMR. I have the advantage of owning an original that has been in my house since 1999 or so. It was routed previously but for a 1997 machine and considering its condition not a lot of wear. The game, since I have owned, has been extremely low play and if not forbidden by my wife , I would have sold/traded when MM's could command 10K plus.
This is one game I have never really had any problems with. Not worried about board problems as I know they can be fixed. Not worried about 20 years from
now because it will continue to be low play and I am sure that I can always replace a cap, resistor or diode. The play field will look the same and any scrapes on the cabinet will be from me not age ( I can scrape up a new game as well as an old). I could improve the dots by adding an LCD color DMD and also add a after market shaker.
That being said, it comes down to game play. Not a great player or consider myself a B/W snob, but there does seem to be a difference to me. I prefer the feel of the original but if I did not own such a low play original,I could easily talk my self into a MMR for all the stated reasons.
Now, if I did have a MMR , I would probably sell/trade a lot faster then the original MM. That would only be due to the collector versus player in me.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's funny.
-

I don’t think there is that many issues. I’ve had mine for two years - it’s HUO but has been used at a tournament and I’ve had -zero- issues with it. None, nadda, zilch.

Buying pretty much any NIB Pinball today has the risk of the manufacturer going under or even worse the manufacturer that you have no relationship going bust (Proc for example). I have a faulty board on my Stern Star Trek that’s unique and a hundred bucks replacement! I doubt there are many of them around. Original sound boards for MM are impossible to find now. Pinsound works but it’s not perfect and what’s to stop them going bust?

Get the game play the fucking bejeezus out of it and life is good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-mmr/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.