14272479547_e6da1b8680_b (resized).jpg
EC838AFD-E1F8-4FFB-B6CD-6DCFBFC3F37C (resized).png
5A5554B7-B55D-491E-BCA6-5AD4A3FD8E51 (resized).png
455DD6BB-5101-4870-9489-95FFB0AF5988 (resized).png
BE6C56E2-2591-4B08-9C46-08C376E37E1F (resized).png
D98617B1-5976-4A05-96BC-76167D748D82 (resized).png
E431AB1B-B8B0-42D0-851B-8AC804556286 (resized).png
50F353FD-150C-4ED4-AC80-B58511162883 (resized).png
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Hi, folks!

I've recently managed to put aside enough cash to FINALLY complete my long-standing dream of acquiring Medieval Madness. Having found a few MMs on the European market, I started to wonder - should I buy MMR instead? I've never bought any NIB game, and the idea kind of excites me, but my main consideration isn't the thrill of buying a new game, but the fact that it'll be new (no wear on the playfield, already fitted with LEDs and a ColorDMD, built with new tech, etc.). I am a bit of an old-school fanboy; I like the original games better than the remakes just due to the fact that... they're old (a kind of relic of a bygone age with its own history).
Any recommendations on this matter? Essentially, do the games differ that much in terms of serviceability, quality, design? It's a considerable expense so I want to make the most informed decision I can.

#2 5 years ago

IMHO buy the original. Just remember one thing if you buy NIB: just because it is NIB doesn’t mean its flawless. At least when you buy an original you get to look at the game and play it before you lay your cash down. Can’t say the same for NIB.

#3 5 years ago

MMr all the way. Can’t beat brand new in the box for the same price or less than a 20 year old beat up game.

#4 5 years ago

I vote MMr also. New vs 20 years old is a big difference, and the high resolution color dots on the remake look beautiful. Great game either way!

#5 5 years ago

One thing you didn’t mention - what will each cost you? That’s a consideration.

#7 5 years ago

I would rather own an original.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

One thing you didn’t mention - what will each cost you? That’s a consideration.

The difference in the prices is approximately 10%, so in my eyes 'neglible' considering that it's a hefty expenditure. I would love to own an original, however owning 4 games that are 20+ years old I know the realities of such machines, that's why I'm considering an MMR.

Has anyone had any issues with the remake? The underside of the playfield looks... interesting. Do you have to remove that huge PCB in order to change coils, etc.? I know the LEDs are part of the board rather than in wired sockets.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Do you have to remove that huge PCB in order to change coils,

No. You'd only remove it to replace it.

Quoted from snowvictim:

Has anyone had any issues with the remake?

In commercial use, one broken pop bumper bracket.

LTG : )

#10 5 years ago

I also prefer original.

#11 5 years ago

Personally, I would love to own a HEP original but I’ve seen a Remake with the 3D backglass and it looked and played awesome.
It’s a great pin so you can’t really lose out either way.

#12 5 years ago

Got a friend who bought a NIB MMrLE had it for several years. Went through all the play field insert issues. He finally found a really nice low play original and picked it up for $1000 less than a NIB standard MMr. The original had lots of nice mods too Color DMD, Prosound, shaker ect... He got rid of the MMr.

#13 5 years ago

Original MM all day every day.

#14 5 years ago

MMR all the way

#15 5 years ago

Wow, now I'm really torn between the two

#16 5 years ago

Original. Boards are repairable/replacable and battle-tested. More reliable too.

#17 5 years ago

Can't beat original again. Also if any issues they are all extremely well documented and any parts well available. No question... Original.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Original. Boards are repairable/replacable and battle-tested. More reliable too.

Quoted from CCary:

Can't beat original again. Also if any issues they are all extremely well documented and any parts well available. No question... Original.

These two posts convinced me. I'm going hunting for the original. Thanks so much guys, good to know one can count on PinSide when making tough choices

#19 5 years ago

I own an mmr and AFMr. Chicago gaming company makes a great machine. Plus, it’s all new parts!! Don’t just buy an original because you’re “old-school”. I never understood that. Check the ratings on Pinside top 100. Mmr outscores the original. Overall, you getting a much more reliable game. A 20 year old game comes with baggage. I don’t care how nice it is. It’s still 20 years old. Things break down over time. Wood expands and contracts. Go with mmr. It’s really not even close. In my opinion.

#20 5 years ago

Original. All day and twice on sunday.

#21 5 years ago

I prefer the originals myself and they have a much better chance of holding a good resale value as the years go by.

Plus they look and play just like an original!

#22 5 years ago

I owned an original and traded it. I’d go original, I think in a few years they will be worth more money than the remakes if you ever decide to sell. Either way, you’ll get a great pin. Win-Win

#23 5 years ago

In 20 years the original will be 40 years old. I would go MMr for sure, it will only be 20!

Disclosure - I own an MMr and love it. Only problem is the sound sucks, I mean really sucks. Has to be upgraded.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

just because it is NIB doesn’t mean its flawless. At least when you buy an original you get to look at the game and play it before you lay your cash down. Can’t say the same for NIB.

You can get a good look at a T bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but wouldn’t you rather just take the butchers word for it?

#25 5 years ago

MMr. Adjustable coil strength. Adjustable led brightness and incandescent emulation.
LCD display that supports color with upgraded dots.
All new unworn parts. New unworn playfield.
Factory warranty. Plays just like the original did when it was new.
I'm getting burried in my MMr LE. Only pin I will never even consider selling. I wanted a MM since I started collecting machines. Now I have a MMr and it's even better than I imagined.

What more reasons do you need?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

These two posts convinced me. I'm going hunting for the original. Thanks so much guys, good to know one can count on PinSide when making tough choices

Replacement beagle boards are like 50 bucks each. Dont worry about the board set. I used to be a die hard original owner until I purchased a remake. 20 plus years in the hobby Get an MMR.

#27 5 years ago

Each to their own..
I too was torn on this same decision, but everything being NEW sold me pretty quickly.

MMR all the way.

#28 5 years ago

Huo MM yes, routed beater Buy New

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

LCD display that supports color with upgraded dots.

And the bigger display is coming. Like the one on AFMR SE and LE

LTG : )

#30 5 years ago

Total no brainer - MMR by a mile. Its super well made, had mine two years and not a single issue with it. People will yack on about the insert issue but it doesn't affect the play of the game at all. The upgraded color LCD, adjustable settings make this hard to beat.

Most MM's because of their popularity have been beaten to death; expect to have to fix/refurb stuff on an original.

#31 5 years ago

I Buy pinballs to play and enjoy, if your buying an investment I suggest
Property ! Forget resale .

My Dad was buying games Nib for the home since Whirlwind! SS,TZ,AF,
The list goes on and I can tell you not one game was perfect then or now.Too many guys picking apart new games ,MMR +BBQ+Cold Beers

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I Buy pinballs to play and enjoy, if your buying an investment I suggest
Property ! Forget resale .
My Dad was buying games Nib for the home since Whirlwind! SS,TZ,AF,
The list goes on and I can tell you not one game was perfect then or now.Too many guys picking apart new games ,MMR +BBQ+Cold Beers

That some good booze at your house?

#33 5 years ago

I have good booze but I,m on the wagon !

#34 5 years ago

It depends on the condition.
If the MM you can buy for that price comes from a collector who's had it for the last 15 years and is in very very good condition, then take the original. But only buy that if it still looks and plays like new.

But most MM's I've seen for sale the last 10 years were worn out. Not just cosmetically but also mechanisms are worn and sloppy.
Popbumpers have less power, flippers sometimes can't make the ramp, .. if it's anything like this, then please don't buy it.
Buy the MMR then. Brand new game that will look and feel great.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

You can get a good look at a T bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but wouldn’t you rather just take the butchers word for it?
» YouTube video

WTF? OK what ever you say dude...

#36 5 years ago

It's my favourite pinball game, that's why I'm so undecided on the issue. I'd love to have the original just for the sake of it being the original, the way it was originally designed with all its history etc. But, having said that it's my favourite pinball game, I will undoubtedly be spending hours and hours playing it, so I'd want it to be tip-top condition, and HUO pinball games in Europe are as rare as motorbikes with an ashtray. The thing is, MM costs about the same as an NIB MMR in Europe, hence my indecisiveness.

Having read all of the above comments I'm actually more inclined to buy the remake now. Oh boy!...

#37 5 years ago

I plan on getting a mmr in the future as well. I could go with an original as well but I know I won’t be finding an original mm for 8k in the same condition as a new mmr. Also have afmr and so far so good. The larger screen for mmr will be really nice. I love it on afmr.

#38 5 years ago

MMr all the way unless you like to tinker and restore pins. I am a die hard pinaholic, I restore, collect, repair and route pins. My MMr has been the most reliable Pin I have, never gave me any problems to this day. I route Sega/data east, stern and Bally/Williams pins. If all pins performed as well as MMr, routing would be so easy. I have several thousand plays on my MMr and it still looks new, it has held up very well. I know several operators that have or had original MM on route and it was always needing attention or it didn’t play as well as MMr. In then end, I don’t think it’s going to make a difference if you have an original or remake. The die hards with money aren’t going to want an original that’s not HEP standards restored anyway. When they stop making MMr, I’d bet the price difference will be very little and the MMr will be the nicer machine (unless original is totally restored) that is going to last longer before it’s worn out.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

It's my favourite pinball game, that's why I'm so undecided on the issue. I'd love to have the original just for the sake of it being the original, the way it was originally designed with all its history etc. But, having said that it's my favourite pinball game, I will undoubtedly be spending hours and hours playing it, so I'd want it to be tip-top condition, and HUO pinball games in Europe are as rare as motorbikes with an ashtray. The thing is, MM costs about the same as an NIB MMR in Europe, hence my indecisiveness.
Having read all of the above comments I'm actually more inclined to buy the remake now. Oh boy!...

Look for the color chip and the shaker motor on ebay and wait for 15-20% discounts there. Could save you $ if you hit it right.

#40 5 years ago

I bought a used MMRLE with no insert issues for $7500. No-brainer purchase. I owned a nice original previously but like the remake better.

(BTW, I purchased my previous MMR for $12,000 plus shipping! My, how times have changed with this title)

#41 5 years ago

Having played multiple versions of both, I’ve consistently preferred the “feel” of the original. No, I don’t know what that means either, but there seems really to be a difference (to me). That said, it’s incredible that CGC has done such a great job on these (almost 3 now!) games. Plus MMr is A LOT less heavy. So there’s that...

#42 5 years ago

I used to be an original snob and had a nice restored MM. Recently picked up an MMR and honestly it plays great and I can’t tell a difference.

#43 5 years ago

I'd say get an original, but that's only because I'm personally very familiar with the WPC system and can fix anything that goes wrong with them. As others have posted, there's plenty of well written information on these old systems that will get you past most issues. I find that these older games are very reliable once they've been gone over. It sounds like the remakes are extremely reliable too. If you don't want to work on them at all get a remake.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

I own an MMr and AFMr LE and am therefore biased, but am so pleased with the remakes that I plan on buying a MBr to complete my small 3-game collection.

The high-resolution color MMr animations were completely redrawn at 4X the pixel density and are very will done. And as Lloyd mentioned above there will soon be the ability to upgrade to the larger display as seen on AFMr LE and SE.

2EAA302A-F151-43F9-8705-C2074CA226E7 (resized).png2EAA302A-F151-43F9-8705-C2074CA226E7 (resized).png
50F353FD-150C-4ED4-AC80-B58511162883 (resized).png50F353FD-150C-4ED4-AC80-B58511162883 (resized).png
E431AB1B-B8B0-42D0-851B-8AC804556286 (resized).pngE431AB1B-B8B0-42D0-851B-8AC804556286 (resized).png
D98617B1-5976-4A05-96BC-76167D748D82 (resized).pngD98617B1-5976-4A05-96BC-76167D748D82 (resized).png
BE6C56E2-2591-4B08-9C46-08C376E37E1F (resized).pngBE6C56E2-2591-4B08-9C46-08C376E37E1F (resized).png
455DD6BB-5101-4870-9489-95FFB0AF5988 (resized).png455DD6BB-5101-4870-9489-95FFB0AF5988 (resized).png
5A5554B7-B55D-491E-BCA6-5AD4A3FD8E51 (resized).png5A5554B7-B55D-491E-BCA6-5AD4A3FD8E51 (resized).png
EC838AFD-E1F8-4FFB-B6CD-6DCFBFC3F37C (resized).pngEC838AFD-E1F8-4FFB-B6CD-6DCFBFC3F37C (resized).png

#45 5 years ago

Both are nice. Go with your instinct. I have an MM, but would be opposed to an MMr if I didn’t have an original.

#46 5 years ago

I almost bought/pre-ordered a MMR after it was initially announced at Expo but this nice original HUO MM came up locally I couldn't pass up on. I am the third owner, original goodie bag still stapled inside the game and the manual still cracks whenever I open it

I have no regrets and was enjoying my MM for almost 2-2.5 years before my other friends started receiving delivery of their MMRs. I still prefer the original over remake for the reasons mentioned above such as 20+ years of repair knowledge available online, readily available replacement parts/boards and the fact that I can also interchange parts/boards with my other WPC95 games to troubleshoot also helps too. In the end if you can't get a nice original MM for around the same price as a MMR then I would say go with remake. I will say the new colored dots on MMR look amazing and I don't think either plays/feels better than the other.

14272479547_e6da1b8680_b (resized).jpg14272479547_e6da1b8680_b (resized).jpg

14455574691_9656a5e658_b (resized).jpg14455574691_9656a5e658_b (resized).jpg

#47 5 years ago

original. cant beat how b/w plays to newer pins.

#48 5 years ago

it kind of bugs me about the MMR that the power driver circuits are in the cabinet. I believe they corrected this with AfMR.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I have good booze but I,m on the wagon !

How's that workin' for ya?

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#50 5 years ago

The MMr is nice, I've played a bunch of them and clearcoated them.

But if I had to buy again, I'd get the MM.

I like being able to repair things on location, not have to take boards back to my shop and make another trip.

I have a Metcal hot air rework station for surface mount repairs, but I sure can't take that out to a customer's house or bar to repair their game if a surface mount IC kicks it.

When it comes to pinball, easy to service is cheap to service!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-mmr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.