• 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2836C0A5-D9F8-4824-A0E4-E5A44B7E4876 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jjhlh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 6 years ago

MM and AFM are both top 3 games for a reason - they are super fun! I wouldn't hesitate to get both since they differ substantially in theme, music, call outs, and rules. If I had to choose only one to get, however, it would definitely be AFM. The energy and humor in that game is out of this world (pun intended). I played the AFMr LE at TPF and was so impressed I ordered one, even though I wasn't planning on getting a new game. It was too much fun to pass up. Try playing both on Pinball Arcade. That will give you a good idea of what to expect.

2 weeks later
#72 6 years ago

I have an AFMr LE and a MMr Standard on order. They are two of the best games ever, which is why they are so highly rated. If I had to choose one I would go for AFMr, particularly the LE with that awesome topper and large screen with high resolution color dots. I love the theme and energy of AFM.

Both games excel in their wonderful use of humor, and the code by Lyman on both is some of the best. Easy to understand but difficult to master. You really can't go wrong with either. It's no coincidence these were the first 2 games to get remade. Get both!

8 months later
#106 6 years ago

I like AFM slightly better than MM, particularly the lighting. But MM is pure awesome. Either game is a no-brainer. The best answer may be to get both!

1 week later
#126 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

They don’t seem too similar to me at all. I tend to get lost in the theme, so they are completely different to me. I probably actually like mm a bit better, but the afm remake seems to be miles ahead of the mm remake. The mm remake really looks like an old game, which was the intention from what I remember. It was made to look more like an original, where the afm (except the classic i guess) are made to be a flashier upgrade. I played an mm remake last night, and it just seemed dark and kinda plain. Afm remake looked like it belonged next to dialed in and star wars, but the mm remake definitely looked older ( like decades, not the couple of years older that it is). I don’t have any mods on my afmr le, and I don’t think it needs any. If I buy An mmr someday, I think it will need a lot of lighting work.
These two games, along with Metallica would be the perfect trifecta for me.

I feel the exact same way. I love MM. It’s an all-time classic for a reason. The more I play it the more I like it, which is almost the opposite of how I feel with most games. But the lighting and bling does suffer in comparison with AFMr. I definitely felt that way when I had a chance to play them side by side at TPF. I’m trying to decide if I should get an MMr or wait for the expected upcoming MBr. MM is probably a little stronger game but I think the MBr might be the better machine since it will have all the latest upgrades. Tough decision.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im in the same boat as you are and I definitely like the MB theme alot more than MM. With that said though there are alot of people who say MB is not as good as MM is so I would want to go with gameplay over theme. Mideival Madness is a very very good game and hard to beat in my opinion. I've never got any time on MB so that makes it a tough decision for me.

Have you tried playing them both on Pinball Arcade? It’s not the same as real pinball, and is easier than it is in real life, but it’s an excellent way to compare the rules, art, sounds, and gameplay. It’s probably the next best thing to being in front of the actual machines. Being able to switch from one to the other is very helpful. It plays great on an iPad.

5 months later
#171 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Here's the deal fellas. Brian Eddy legitimately cracked the code for what pinheads wanted and will want with variations of course with AFM. The birth of the orbit, ramp, bash, scoop, ramp, orbit layout. This has been seen constantly ever since. The man should have patented the layout. It is now the base from which all other playfields are created. MM was a reworking of the same layout, so it comes down to rules, and I like AFM better. I also love MM but I think AFM might be the most brilliant moment in pinball history outside of Ted Zale's Fireball. It's a perfect game in every respect, MM might have better toys but the rules are too focused on the castle. If you own one PLEASE do not buy the other, it's the same game and a lot of money unless status symbols are your thing then you are gonna need a Monster Bash too. Mark my word here, modern pinball owes everything to a guy who only designed a few games. For one inspired moment figured it out and Stern has been building on his layouts for years. Ask Steve Ritchie the most incredible thing he has ever seen in his 40 years in pinball and I guarantee it will be Brian Eddy's solo performance on The Shadow. Design, engineering, and code. The dude is a beast!

I agree with almost everything you say, except for the part about don’t buy both if you already have one. My 2-game collection consists of MMr and AFMr and I couldn’t be happier. Before that I had 3 modern games but sold them. In my opinion MM and AFM are the pinnacle of pinball. Although the layouts are certainly similar they differ substantially in theme, art, rules, music, and callouts. I can’t wait to see what Brian Eddy comes up with for his next game. He has set the bar very high for everybody, including himself.

4 months later
#190 5 years ago

Best 3 pins in my opinion. I would rate them:

1. AFM (10)
2. MM (9.8)
3. MB (9.5)

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

That's pretty close, man!
What is the major difference in rules/depth between MM/AFM and MB?

AFM and MM have a similar layout but play differently, as you mentioned.

AFM is faster and more brutal. Strobe multiball is unique. I love the risk reward of shooting the mothership. That ball can come back fast! Perfect rule set that is easy to understand but very difficult to complete. Can be approached in different ways for scoring as well. Love the campy humor of this game and the jiggling martians. And the large faceted inserts glow like jewels, especially with LED lighting. I like the color red in pinball machines and this game has a lot, and it really pops with the complementary green next to it. Beautiful to look at. You can tell the team that created this iconic game was confident and working at the peak of their powers.

MM builds on its predecessor and refines it in some ways. The trolls are a blast and add a lot to the game. Love getting troll madness completed and hitting the trolls as they alternate popping up. Catapult ramp is very cool, as is the castle. More variety of callouts in this game with all the different characters.

MB is great with lots of toys. But overall it seems simpler than the other 2. Rules are not as varied or interesting. Much easier to complete, which might be better for average players like me. I would actually have a chance of finishing this game. Not sure how I feel about that.

I haven’t gotten tired of having AFM and MM as my 2-game collection. I had 3 modern games before which I did get tired of and sold or traded to get these. If I was going to buy a 3rd game it would definitely be MB, but I’m OK with just having the first 2. I think they are a little stronger overall with their gameplay, rules, callouts, and humor.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Great post! I have had some issues with CGC support in the past, and said I would never buy another one of their games, but I'd be a liar to say that the new game isn't impressive.
It just got me thinking. I think I have a nice variety of games right now, and if I were to bring a MB in, I would have to let go of something (or get a divorce haha).
MMR/AFMR aren't going anywhere. I've finished MMR about 5 times (thought the posts are down so my wife and friends can I enjoy) and I've finished AFMR now twice with factory everything.
LOTR is also a keeper for me, and now maybe even my favourite game.
TWD is a weird one. I think I love it as much as I hate it, which gets a little confusing. I would say 80% of the game I have on TWD make me want to tip the game over, but when the game gives me a little love, and I get close to that ultimate wizard mode (LMS) it's pretty damn satisfying!
That leaves me with TSPP and DI on the chopping block. I've only had TSPP for a while, and I'm yet to really form an opinion on it. I don't find it flows all that nicely, and with the factory settings set to no ball save, it can be brutal right off the plunge!
I kinda feel the same way about DI, even though I've had it for year now. Total love/hate relationship with that game. It is fun though, and has some neat shots.
Oh, the first world pinball problems!

Haha. Yes, definitely the problem to have!

I forgot to mention that MMr is the only game I’ve experienced that continues to increase in enjoyment the more I play it. Usually it’s the opposite. I loved AFM from the first plunge but it took some time for me to fully appreciate how good MMr is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
15,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jjhlh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-afm?tu=jjhlh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.