• 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2836C0A5-D9F8-4824-A0E4-E5A44B7E4876 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 7 years ago

I went through ton of comparison when choosing between the two. I had a chance at a MM or an AFM at the same time. I played both games like crazy.

In the end, I went with AFM, but you really can't go wrong with either or both. When I say something is better on AFM, I usually mean by the slightest margin. They're both fantastic games. Here are a few reasons I prefer AFM though:

AFM has a smoother flow to it overall. The trolls, the less reliable ramps, the dodgy Merlin saucer, and the tighter layout cause the game to not play quite as cleanly as AFM does. The 3-bank target on AFM is also much more reliable than the drawbridge.

The jumping aliens are better than the trolls. Hitting each alien in the given time period is a better challenge than dealing with the trolls and they don't leave bumps on the playfield when they're out of play. I like the rules of Martian Multiball better than Troll Madness as well.

Despite a more simple rule set, AFM tends to be better for competition.

MM relies too much on multiballs. There's just too many of them, which in a way contrasts with the physical design. Multiball creates a level of chaos that disrupts the excellent layout. I wish MM was a little more conservative about handing out multiballs.

That said...I freaking love Strobe Multiball. In a dark room, it's one of the coolest effects on a game. I keep my play area pretty dark, so it's always a treat to play.

TZ is my all-time favorite game, but I've always said that if a perfect pinball machine exists, it's Attack From Mars. I think it's the best game ever created.

Quoted from nosro:

There is a reason why so many people ask the question "are Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness too similar?" It's because there are more similarities between these two machine than possibly any other pair of machines in the top 100. For some, the differences are enough to call it a different experience. For some, the similarities are too much.

More similar than Star Trek and Spider-Man? High Speed and The Getaway? Borg's games also tend to be more similar to each other than you get between AFM and MM as well.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Let me make the case:
With Star Trek vs. Spider Man, the layouts are very different and the rules are very different. Due to the larger bash toy, Spiderman has narrower ramps that are more difficult to hit consistently whereas Star Trek has wider left and right ramps. Spiderman has the classic Lyman "hit 3 times" ruleset (not unlike MM or AFM) whereas Star Trek has a mode-based ruleset that requires shot combinations. (I have owned both of these machines in the past.)
High Speed and Getaway are certainly very similar in theme. But the difference in layout between HighSpeed/Getaway is greater than AFM/MM. The stoplight targets are in different locations. High Speed has a single ramp accessed by the upper 3rd flipper whereas Getaway has a single ramp accessed from the right lower flipper. Getaway has modes whereas High Speed is a high-score type of machine. (I have owned both of these machines in the past.)
AFM vs. MM: Both have the same layout of primary shots. From left to right, its Orbit, Ramp, Multiball lock, Bash toy, Saucer, Ramp, Orbit. Both have the Lyman "hit 3 times" ruleset.
I think AFM and MM are both great and most people who like one will like the other, but I certainly believe they are quite similar.

I've never heard anybody claim that Star Trek and Spider-Man had "very different" layouts. And I don't know how you can say that AFM and MM are closer in layout than The Getaway and High Speed...especially after owning them. That's, uh, just not true.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 45.00
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-afm?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.