• 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2836C0A5-D9F8-4824-A0E4-E5A44B7E4876 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damien.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I own a MMR, and everyone I talk to about AFM, tells me not to even think about it because they're essentially the same game.

Being that I've never played AFM, I'm curious to hear from you all about how similar or different they are.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

AFM & MM are at the same time completely different games in every way as well as almost exactly the same game depending on how you look at it.
If all you ever saw and experienced were these two games, you would not see any similarity between them. Like if the only fruits that ever existed were oranges and tangerines you would love them both in subtle and complex ways and think they were completely different.
On the other hand, if an advanced alien race systematically studied every pin ever made by us humans, then, in the aspect of playfield layout and flow, AFM and MM are very similar to each other. In the aspect of playfield layout and flow, they are similar like how you think of oranges and tangerines given that you have experienced a large variety of fruits (sweet citrus fruits). There is a reason for this, MM is a modified version of AFM in the way that they started with the layout and code of AFM and added/removed things and made a different game. "What if we had a castle and had a two stage drawbridge." "What if we added some trolls that popped up and blocked shots". Etc.

Awesome answer!

Can I message you anytime I want to compare anything in life? Haha.

#38 7 years ago

Right now, I have a MMR LE and TZ.

My family and friends really like MM. As for the TZ, everyone looks confused when they play, and have to ask me about the rules, and they get bummed out by all the SDTM and left drains.

I personally love everything about MM. I think the humor, flow, shots, and objective are brilliant.

I've only played AFM on Xbox, so I can't say too much. I'm curious to know how the difficulty of the two games compares. How tough is it to get to the wizard mode in AFM? I find it pretty tough to get to BFTK. I'm getting closer and closer, but still so far away.

I'm also holding out on the hope that CGC will remake MB and TOM in the near future, as I'm chomping at the bit for those!

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just looking through your list, why not get a modern game to add to your collection? I see you have Dialed In! on your wanted list, probably not too far off in price between AFMr and Dialed In! Standard.
You certainly won't have to start a thread asking if they are too similar with Dialed In! And MM.

Definitely something I'm considering, but I'm holding off until I get a chance to play it. I love the look of WOZ and Hobbit, but did not enjoy the gameplay at all. Way to slow and floaty for my liking.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

My afm and mb are more difficult than my mm .... especially afm as mine is very difficult and i love it. Dont count on tom being remade and mb is a while off yet.

Can you compare the difficultly between MM and AFM? What do you have to complete in AFM to finish the game?

I heard there is a good chance TOM, TOTAN, and MB could be remade. Why do you not think TOM will be made?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Well, MMr was announced in October of 2013. Its now April of 2017 and only a couple months has AFM been officially announced.
Everyone seems to feel MB is next after AFMr is all done (late 2018 or early 2019?)...not sure how much further into the future anyone can predict as so much could happen. But would you really want to wait till 2021 or so to get a TOM (assuming it is affer MB) anyway?

I think the first game took them a while, but look at how quickly AFM is being produced after it's initial announcement. I have a gut feeling that they're going to announce the next one in the very near future, and if it's MB, then I guess I'll be going broke!

#68 6 years ago

Overall, it looks like AFM gets a bit more love than MM.

As a very happy owner of MM, and some who has never played AFM, it's making me very curious to see what I'm missing.

Might have to try to find someone locally that has one, and see if I can get an invite over

2 weeks later
#75 6 years ago

I think I found a really good analogy for this, but you'll have to be a Guy Ritchie fan to appreciate it.

MM vs. AFM is sort of like comparing Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels to Snatch. Both were created by the same director/designer, both have the same formula (pf layout/plot), and both have similar characters/parts and targets.

And as much as they are the same, they are also distinctively different, and stand firmly on their own. And when you're tasked with trying to pick the better one, you struggle. Because they both offer something different that makes them great, and something very similar that makes them legendary.

And with that said... I'm now considering one hahahahahaha!

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Which is Snatch and which is Lock Stock?

Very tough question. I've only played the virtual AFM, so I can't really judge.

But if we're just talking movies, and I have to take one of them with me to an island, it would be Snatch!

2 weeks later
#80 6 years ago

What's the major differences in gameplay, objectives, and rules?

Is one harder than the other to reach wizard mode?

5 months later
#83 6 years ago

So now that I have both games (remakes) and have a decent amount of time on both, I wanted to bring back this thread. Before getting AFM, I was worried that the similarities between the two games would be too much for a small collection (currently 4 games).

However, I feel like I'm just getting another game that I can now call my favourite. They both have many similarities, but I think I agree with many in the discussion, that the differences are greater. Even the subtle differences, like needing to take down the target bank before starting a multiball in AFM, where in MM you want to stack the Madnesses and then start it to bash castles. The story for both is essentially the same, but it's just told differently. I still like the wizard mode in MM more, but getting it in AFM was definitely awesome.

I can't see myself parting with either game, but if I were forced to, I think AFM would end up leaving.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Ozzy:

Any thoughts on afmclassic vs the premium or le?. Take the topper out of the equation. Worth the etra coin ?

Personally, the additional saucer lights, mirror blades, and green trim sold me. I have not set up my topper yet but that also was a huge selling feature for me.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Have/had both together (along with mb) but sold mm last week after 7 months or so and afm has been here for much longer. Just play afm more and i think its more difficult/better code. Afm is faster and flows better also imo......wheres mm felt like a chore most of the time. Mb is the worst of all 3 imo...great theme but code lacks and game gets boreing quickly.

I'm still not sure exactly what it is about MM that puts it over AFM for me, but maybe it will come to me the longer I play them.

Possibly theme? Possibly code? Possibly the music and call outs?

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think the goals needed to defeat MM are just a lot of wood chopping and AFM, outside of saucer kills, doesn't have that which gives it the edge over MM.

For me, it's that moment when you get Castle Crasher and Battle For The Kingdom is lit. That whole sequence of making all lit shots, then having the Trolls pop up is pre genius, and though I've been to it about 10 times, it always feels like my first. Hands are always sweaty haha!

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

And don't forget the Le is supposed to have a 2yr warantee, as opposed to a 1 yr warantee for the Classic and SE. Not insignificant with all of the technology in there! And the topper is really well done. I would guess if you could purchase it separately it would easily cost $600.

I'm completely satisfied with everything except for the clear coat. I noticed significant chipping at the drain and lock hole within the first 100 games. Hence why I connected with Cliffy to get a lock protector designed. It's now available from Cliffy for those interested, but you'll likely have to email him about it.

1 month later
#98 6 years ago

Great night to do a comparison, as I got to BFTK and RTU in back-to-back games.

I still think BFTK is more epic. Feels like a battle. Make you want to take out the KOP. RTU feels more like an objective.

But playing these games so closely together, I do agree with many here that AFM has better flow. When you get into a groove, that game is like butter. Maybe not as smooth as TOM, but pretty damn close.

Good thing I have both, because having to make a decision would be tough!

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Agree...never bonded with MM. Owned a beauty and let it go before the remake craze.
snaroff

I guess that's the beauty of pinball. So many games and everyone connects to games for different reasons.

Although I think AFM flows better, BFTK to me is the perfect wizard mode. That's what wins it for me.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I’m very surprised that nearly 100% of the people seem to like AFM better than MM. OP you should add a poll to this thread and let people vote on it.

Don't think we can add a poll at this point... Can we?

#119 6 years ago

Had an absolutely epic game of AFM the other night. Had a close friend over and was explaining the game to him, but as I was playing, I was hitting every shot. Realize that my tutorial was turning into a run for RTU! When I told him that this was a really good game and that I might be able to beat it, he got pretty pumped up. We we're shoulder to shoulder, and every time I'd miss a shot or drain, we'd both lose it! I had three balls and only the RTU scoop to hit. I lost two balls just trying to hit it. I literally had my last ball cradled on the left flipper and I looked at him and said "this is the last shot of the game... it's make-or-break". When it hit the scoop and went in we both blew up in excitement. One of the most fun games I've ever had!

1 week later
#132 6 years ago

I like the King of Payne's taunts as you beat on the sixth castle. Hitting 10 shots to destroy Mars is cool, but the castle feels more fulfilling.

Also the BFTK sequence is much more intense than RTU for me. It feels more like an adventure.

Thing is though, they're both amazing wizard modes. I may prefer one over the other slightly, but teaching this point in either game is epic.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I think the reason i like afm more is bc bashing that castle door on mm over and over and waiting for it to fallinto the trough then come back to the left flipper got tiresome. On afm u have the shield and then the drop target/targets sending the ball back at u super fast and unpredictable with no waiting.
Both are great toys especially the castle but after owning both i perfer the speed and unpredictably of afm over the relative safe castle shots that are slow to return.

Not sure what MM you're playing, but castle shots on my game are suicide! Game plays very fast, even at 6.5 degrees.

#142 6 years ago

BUT... MM has Barnyard Multiball

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

How often do you play that one?

Good point. I think I've done it 2-3 times. Not easy to get to!

Quoted from gunstarhero:

Anytime you have a good game where you're hitting the catapult a lot.
Look I thought like you did once, that AFM was a stripped down, faster MM and I liked the aliens vs army theme better so it was a better game, and I can see why people might like AFM more. At the end of the day tho, having them side by side, it became pretty apparent to me that MM is just more game and was therefore my preference.
You can see that AFM was Brian Eddy's starting point and MM was the next step. Who knows if it was him perfecting the design since it was the last game he did.

We need to get Brian Eddy back for one more!!!!

1 week later
#150 6 years ago

Got to BFTK on two different machines yesterday, and man that does not get old!!!

3 weeks later
#152 6 years ago
Quoted from flipper73:

I like mm a little bit more than afm. theme and callouts are in mm better.

It's also the final shot that puts MM ahead for me. I was one shots away from finishing BFTK the other day, and drained. But finishing that wizard modes feels like a cool adventure.

Hitting the SOL as the final shot onAFM just doesn't compare in my opinion.

3 months later
#154 5 years ago

Update... After much thought, I've decided I'm going to sell AFM.

It's an awesome game, but I've capped my line up at 5 games, and one needs to go so I can bring in something new.

I've always liked MM slightly more based on the theme and the wizard mode. Shots, lighting, and sound are better on AFM so the decision was tough.

The game is still here and anything can change. Who knows I may end up getting cold feet.

But I'd like to own a Metallica or Iron Maiden, and out of my 5 games, it's the one I currently play least.

TWD, DI, and LOTR are here until I reach the ultimate wizard modes in each.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I did the same thing and while I miss some things about it, don’t regret going with some newer Sterns. IMDN is awesome!

IMDN will probably be in production for a while, so not in a huge rush to get it. I'd like a NIB Metallica LED Pro, so I might end up getting that.

I find when I step up to AFM, I think about what I'm going to have to do to reach RTU again, and I'm not all that motivated to play.

I think a deeper game will keep my interest longer, and I have MM when I want that classic fun gameplay.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I agree with you on the Hobbit. For some reason,I really like it too,and I don't understand why it's not very popular.

I second that... The only thing I don't like about the game is that there are a bajillion modes and I have no idea what's going on. But it's a super fun game to shoot.

I think some people criticize the fact that it's very heavy on multiballs. I personally love it!

1 week later
#170 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Here's the deal fellas. Brian Eddy legitimately cracked the code for what pinheads wanted and will want with variations of course with AFM. The birth of the orbit, ramp, bash, scoop, ramp, orbit layout. This has been seen constantly ever since. The man should have patented the layout. It is now the base from which all other playfields are created. MM was a reworking of the same layout, so it comes down to rules, and I like AFM better. I also love MM but I think AFM might be the most brilliant moment in pinball history outside of Ted Zale's Fireball. It's a perfect game in every respect, MM might have better toys but the rules are too focused on the castle. If you own one PLEASE do not buy the other, it's the same game and a lot of money unless status symbols are your thing then you are gonna need a Monster Bash too. Mark my word here, modern pinball owes everything to a guy who only designed a few games. For one inspired moment figured it out and Stern has been building on his layouts for years. Ask Steve Ritchie the most incredible thing he has ever seen in his 40 years in pinball and I guarantee it will be Brian Eddy's solo performance on The Shadow. Design, engineering, and code. The dude is a beast!

There definitely is something very special about MM and AFM, regardless of how many games have used the blueprint since.

To me, it's the full package. Flow, great shots, epic toys, amazing soundtrack, classic call outs, and art from an era we all loved.

I've just recently added a couple of Stern's to my line up, along with a DI, and one thing you notice right away, is how much more these games offer.

That doesn't take away from the greatness of MM or AFM, but you do realize there is a lot more pinball in some of these newer games. That is part of the reason why I'm likely going to sell AFM.

MM and AFM have may similarities as we've chatted about in this thread, and if you're limited to a small collection (for me it's 5) then I feel like having something with a little more variety fits better.

It's a tough one, because both games are great, but in the end, it's MM for me.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

More
I agree with almost everything you say, except for the part about don’t buy both if you already have one. My 2-game collection consists of MMr and AFMr and I couldn’t be happier. Before that I had 3 modern games but sold them. In my opinion MM and AFM are the pinnacle of pinball. Although the layouts are certainly similar they differ substantially in theme, art, rules, music, and callouts. I can’t wait to see what Brian Eddy comes up with for his next game. He has set the bar very high for everybody, including himself.

There's no right or wrong here. Definitely both incredible games, so if you're content with both, that's awesome.

Pinball is such an individual thing. I never thought I'd get tired of IJ, but I dumped it after two months and never regretted it for a second. I do miss getting rid of my gorgeous TZ, and I miss my TOM daily.

Maybe I'll regret parting with AFMR. Only time will tell...

I think one other thing that put MM over AFM for me, is that it is much less drainy, especially in the outlanes. I like having a friendly game in my lineup for family and friends, and not sure I'd say AFM fits that.

1 week later
#175 5 years ago

Regardless of which you pick here, Brian Eddy has raised the bar possibly even too high for himself. His Stern game will be very interesting to see...

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

When is it expected?

No idea... I thought they said later this year.

I'm standing by to see what they do with Deadpool.

1 month later
#182 5 years ago

Played both games tonight back-to-back, and once again, I'm debating with myself about what game is better.

I have said many times that MM is superior with it's theme, rules, sound, but occasionally you have a really great game on AFM and realize that the gameplay is the real toss up between these games.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

THAT is the key, only that good game is when it's arguably close to MM, but play 20 on each, you will more likely have more entertaining/fun games on MM than AFM. Which for me is why it's the better game, even crappy ones are still fun.
YMMV.

Had a friend over last night, and I had like a 10 minute ball on MMR. When that game is flowing, it does so much, so we'll.

Then we go over to AFM, and it's brutal drains and fighting to keep the ball alive.

They're like siblings that have completely different dispositions.

#187 5 years ago

Couple of nights ago I did RTU for the first time since moving text outlane post back to factory setting.

Either topper going off on AFMR, it made the journey to RTU even more intense.

I was about to sell my AFMR, but that ad has now been take down! Haha

2 months later
#188 5 years ago

With MBr now being announced, and looking pretty nice, I thought I would revisit our MM vs. AFM discussion and add MB to the mix.

Where do you all rate these games from 1-3, in order of what you enjoy and would like to own in your collection.

I'm curious also to hear from owners of all three (or people with a lot of time on them) about the difference in depth. I know MM and AFM are pretty close, but I keep hearing MB is thin. How thin are we talking though? I mean, MM/AFM aren't that deep compared to modern games, so I'm curious to know what is missing from MB that MM/AFM seem to have.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Best 3 pins in my opinion. I would rate them:
1. AFM (10)
2. MM (9.8)
3. MB (9.5)

That's pretty close, man!

What is the major difference in rules/depth between MM/AFM and MB?

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

AFM and MM have a similar layout but play differently, as you mentioned.
AFM is faster and more brutal. Strobe multiball is unique. I love the risk reward of shooting the mothership. That ball can come back fast! Perfect rule set that is easy to understand but very difficult to complete. Can be approached in different ways for scoring as well. Love the campy humor of this game. You can tell the team that created this iconic game was confident and working at the peak of their powers.
MM builds on its predecessor and refines it in some ways. The trolls are a blast and add a lot to the game. Love getting troll madness completed and hitting the trolls as they alternate popping up. Catapult ramp is very cool, as is the castle.
MB is great with lots of toys. But overall it seems simpler than the other 2. Rules are not as varied or interesting. Much easier to complete, which might be better for average players like me. I would actually have a chance of finishing this game. Not sure how I feel about that.
I haven’t gotten tired of having AFM and MM as my 2-game collection. If I was going to buy a 3rd game it would definitely be MB, but I’m OK with just having the first 2. I think they are a little stronger overall with their gameplay, rules, callouts, and humor.

Great post! I have had some issues with CGC support in the past, and said I would never buy another one of their games, but I'd be a liar to say that the new game isn't impressive.

It just got me thinking. I think I have a nice variety of games right now, and if I were to bring a MB in, I would have to let go of something (or get a divorce haha).

MMR/AFMR aren't going anywhere. I've finished MMR about 5 times (thought the posts are down so my wife and friends can I enjoy) and I've finished AFMR now twice with factory everything.

LOTR is also a keeper for me, and now maybe even my favourite game.

TWD is a weird one. I think I love it as much as I hate it, which gets a little confusing. I would say 80% of the game I have on TWD make me want to tip the game over, but when the game gives me a little love, and I get close to that ultimate wizard mode (LMS) it's pretty damn satisfying!

That leaves me with TSPP and DI on the chopping block. I've only had TSPP for a while, and I'm yet to really form an opinion on it. I don't find it flows all that nicely, and with the factory settings set to no ball save, it can be brutal right off the plunge!

I kinda feel the same way about DI, even though I've had it for year now. Total love/hate relationship with that game. It is fun though, and has some neat shots.

Oh, the first world pinball problems!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanted
$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damien.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-afm?tu=damien and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.