• 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2836C0A5-D9F8-4824-A0E4-E5A44B7E4876 (resized).png
There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 years ago

I like mm a little bit more than afm. theme and callouts are in mm better.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from flipper73:

I like mm a little bit more than afm. theme and callouts are in mm better.

It's also the final shot that puts MM ahead for me. I was one shots away from finishing BFTK the other day, and drained. But finishing that wizard modes feels like a cool adventure.

Hitting the SOL as the final shot onAFM just doesn't compare in my opinion.

#153 6 years ago

MM is the better game overall. AFM is much simpler, but MM has better humor, deeper ruleset and better humor/call-outs. If i had to part, AFM would be the one to go. (Good thing I don't and both can stay!)

Both are excellent games though. I don't think you can go wrong having either one in a collection.

3 months later
#154 5 years ago

Update... After much thought, I've decided I'm going to sell AFM.

It's an awesome game, but I've capped my line up at 5 games, and one needs to go so I can bring in something new.

I've always liked MM slightly more based on the theme and the wizard mode. Shots, lighting, and sound are better on AFM so the decision was tough.

The game is still here and anything can change. Who knows I may end up getting cold feet.

But I'd like to own a Metallica or Iron Maiden, and out of my 5 games, it's the one I currently play least.

TWD, DI, and LOTR are here until I reach the ultimate wizard modes in each.

#155 5 years ago

I did the same thing and while I miss some things about it, don’t regret going with some newer Sterns. IMDN is awesome!

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I did the same thing and while I miss some things about it, don’t regret going with some newer Sterns. IMDN is awesome!

IMDN will probably be in production for a while, so not in a huge rush to get it. I'd like a NIB Metallica LED Pro, so I might end up getting that.

I find when I step up to AFM, I think about what I'm going to have to do to reach RTU again, and I'm not all that motivated to play.

I think a deeper game will keep my interest longer, and I have MM when I want that classic fun gameplay.

#157 5 years ago

When CGC releases an LED upgrade for MMr, I may end up trying to trade my AFMr for one. I really like the game, but I just don't play it much. Metallica is still the go to game. I recently told my wife that I wanted to trade my GnR for a Hobbit, and she said she would rather trade the AFM. To her, the playfield looks older than GnR.

I think the theme of MMr would keep me playing longer. I also think I really like the pop up troll targets. I am pretty sure that is mainly what has me interested in Hobbit. I usually end up buying the games that I enjoy most at a pinball show. First it was AC/DC and GnR, then Metallica, then AFMR, and now the Hobbit was the most fun I had this year. Strangely, I don't remember ever playing MM or MMr at a show.

The Hobbit is not a popular game, but I really had more fun on that than all of the new games that were at GSPF this year (I did not play Houdini though, so I may enjoy that more, I don't know. I didn't play Kill Bill either, but since I couldn't sit through 20 minutes of the movie, probably not one I will love)

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

When CGC releases an LED upgrade for MMr, I may end up trying to trade my AFMr for one. I really like the game, but I just don't play it much. Metallica is still the go to game. I recently told my wife that I wanted to trade my GnR for a Hobbit, and she said she would rather trade the AFM. To her, the playfield looks older than GnR.
I think the theme of MMr would keep me playing longer. I also think I really like the pop up troll targets. I am pretty sure that is mainly what has me interested in Hobbit. I usually end up buying the games that I enjoy most at a pinball show. First it was AC/DC and GnR, then Metallica, then AFMR, and now the Hobbit was the most fun I had this year. Strangely, I don't remember ever playing MM or MMr at a show.
The Hobbit is not a popular game, but I really had more fun on that than all of the new games that were at GSPF this year (I did not play Houdini though, so I may enjoy that more, I don't know. I didn't play Kill Bill either, but since I couldn't sit through 20 minutes of the movie, probably not one I will love)

I agree with you on the Hobbit. For some reason,I really like it too,and I don't understand why it's not very popular.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Update... After much thought, I've decided I'm going to sell AFM.
It's an awesome game, but I've capped my line up at 5 games, and one needs to go so I can bring in something new.
I've always liked MM slightly more based on the theme and the wizard mode. Shots, lighting, and sound are better on AFM so the decision was tough.
The game is still here and anything can change. Who knows I may end up getting cold feet.
But I'd like to own a Metallica or Iron Maiden, and out of my 5 games, it's the one I currently play least.
TWD, DI, and LOTR are here until I reach the ultimate wizard modes in each.

I played a Metallica at the Pinfest,that had the hammer,and it was a fun game!

#160 5 years ago

Both are great games. Attack seems a little faster and seems to return the ball quicker. MM seems to have more pauses in game play. I like the humor in attack better, I'm probably in the minority. I also feel the remake with the larger screen gives it a slight edge over MM in appearance. Cant go wrong here.

#161 5 years ago

I've only played MMr and AFMr about 25 times each.I like them both, and I really don't know which one I would pick over the other. If I had the room,I'd own both of them.

#162 5 years ago

I owned both MMRLE and AFMLE. I still have AFMLE.
Both are great pins, I just seemed to play attack more. Also the larger colored DMD is nice and the topper is one of the best ever.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I agree with you on the Hobbit. For some reason,I really like it too,and I don't understand why it's not very popular.

I second that... The only thing I don't like about the game is that there are a bajillion modes and I have no idea what's going on. But it's a super fun game to shoot.

I think some people criticize the fact that it's very heavy on multiballs. I personally love it!

1 week later
#164 5 years ago

I've had MMr for about 1.5 years and AFMr since November. I won't get rid of MMr it's the better game long-term, more to do and better shots/humor. I could part with AFMr if i had to. I'm limited to 4 machines by the wife, so likely that AFMr will move out at some point as 2 slots are more or less permanent. MMr and Sinbad.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

I've had MMr for about 1.5 years and AFMr since November. I won't get rid of MMr it's the better game long-term, more to do and better shots/humor. I could part with AFMr if i had to. I'm limited to 4 machines by the wife, so likely that AFMr will move out at some point as 2 slots are more or less permanent. MMr and Sinbad.

Why does your wife limit you to four machines?

#166 5 years ago

Here's the deal fellas. Brian Eddy legitimately cracked the code for what pinheads wanted and will want with variations of course with AFM. The birth of the orbit, ramp, bash, scoop, ramp, orbit layout. This has been seen constantly ever since. The man should have patented the layout. It is now the base from which all other playfields are created. MM was a reworking of the same layout, so it comes down to rules, and I like AFM better. I also love MM but I think AFM might be the most brilliant moment in pinball history outside of Ted Zale's Fireball. It's a perfect game in every respect, MM might have better toys but the rules are too focused on the castle. If you own one PLEASE do not buy the other, it's the same game and a lot of money unless status symbols are your thing then you are gonna need a Monster Bash too. Mark my word here, modern pinball owes everything to a guy who only designed a few games. For one inspired moment figured it out and Stern has been building on his layouts for years. Ask Steve Ritchie the most incredible thing he has ever seen in his 40 years in pinball and I guarantee it will be Brian Eddy's solo performance on The Shadow. Design, engineering, and code. The dude is a beast!

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Here's the deal fellas. Brian Eddy legitimately cracked the code for what pinheads wanted and will want with variations of course with AFM. The birth of the orbit, ramp, bash, scoop, ramp, orbit layout. This has been seen constantly ever since. The man should have patented the layout. It is now the base from which all other playfields are created. MM was a reworking of the same layout, so it comes down to rules, and I like AFM better. I also love MM but I think AFM might be the most brilliant moment in pinball history outside of Ted Zale's Fireball. It's a perfect game in every respect, MM might have better toys but the rules are too focused on the castle. If you own one PLEASE do not buy the other, it's the same game and a lot of money unless status symbols are your thing then you are gonna need a Monster Bash too. Mark my word here, modern pinball owes everything to a guy who only designed a few games. For one inspired moment figured it out and Stern has been building on his layouts for years. Ask Steve Ritchie the most incredible thing he has ever seen in his 40 years in pinball and I guarantee it will be Brian Eddy's solo performance on The Shadow. Design, engineering, and code. The dude is a beast!

Brian says ok get off your knees...next year you can kneel when my Stern machine comes out.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

More
Brian says ok get off your knees...next year you can kneel when my Stern machine comes out.

Do yo know of a good knee pad manufacturer? They get raw at my level

#169 5 years ago

I don't own any of these games, I am pure early SS and hopefully going to get into EM's real soon. I can't justify a 5K purchase on one game, no way, that is the beauty of this hobby there are so many ways to go about enjoying it.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

There definitely is something very special about MM and AFM, regardless of how many games have used the blueprint since.

To me, it's the full package. Flow, great shots, epic toys, amazing soundtrack, classic call outs, and art from an era we all loved.

I've just recently added a couple of Stern's to my line up, along with a DI, and one thing you notice right away, is how much more these games offer.

That doesn't take away from the greatness of MM or AFM, but you do realize there is a lot more pinball in some of these newer games. That is part of the reason why I'm likely going to sell AFM.

MM and AFM have may similarities as we've chatted about in this thread, and if you're limited to a small collection (for me it's 5) then I feel like having something with a little more variety fits better.

It's a tough one, because both games are great, but in the end, it's MM for me.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I agree with almost everything you say, except for the part about don’t buy both if you already have one. My 2-game collection consists of MMr and AFMr and I couldn’t be happier. Before that I had 3 modern games but sold them. In my opinion MM and AFM are the pinnacle of pinball. Although the layouts are certainly similar they differ substantially in theme, art, rules, music, and callouts. I can’t wait to see what Brian Eddy comes up with for his next game. He has set the bar very high for everybody, including himself.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

More
I agree with almost everything you say, except for the part about don’t buy both if you already have one. My 2-game collection consists of MMr and AFMr and I couldn’t be happier. Before that I had 3 modern games but sold them. In my opinion MM and AFM are the pinnacle of pinball. Although the layouts are certainly similar they differ substantially in theme, art, rules, music, and callouts. I can’t wait to see what Brian Eddy comes up with for his next game. He has set the bar very high for everybody, including himself.

There's no right or wrong here. Definitely both incredible games, so if you're content with both, that's awesome.

Pinball is such an individual thing. I never thought I'd get tired of IJ, but I dumped it after two months and never regretted it for a second. I do miss getting rid of my gorgeous TZ, and I miss my TOM daily.

Maybe I'll regret parting with AFMR. Only time will tell...

I think one other thing that put MM over AFM for me, is that it is much less drainy, especially in the outlanes. I like having a friendly game in my lineup for family and friends, and not sure I'd say AFM fits that.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

More

That's cool man, just my opinion. If YOU get joy out of it, that's all that matters. This is exactly why I love this hobby so much, there isn't only one way to enjoy it. Find what makes YOU happy and leave the noise in the background.

#174 5 years ago

Both are great games with great layouts humor and art, I would say attack is the better game, but mm has the better toy.

#175 5 years ago

Regardless of which you pick here, Brian Eddy has raised the bar possibly even too high for himself. His Stern game will be very interesting to see...

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Regardless of which you pick here, Brian Eddy has raised the bar possibly even too high for himself. His Stern game will be very interesting to see...

When is it expected?

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

When is it expected?

No idea... I thought they said later this year.

I'm standing by to see what they do with Deadpool.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Why does your wife limit you to four machines?

Good damn question....

1 month later
#179 5 years ago

Everyone always says “Tina Fey Tina Fey Tina Fey” nobody ever talks about Bobcat Goldwait being one of the trolls...

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Everyone always says “Tina Fey Tina Fey Tina Fey” nobody ever talks about Bobcat Goldwait being one of the trolls...

Is that true?!

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is that true?!

Have you listened to that right troll? There’s no doubt it’s Bobcat

#182 5 years ago

Played both games tonight back-to-back, and once again, I'm debating with myself about what game is better.

I have said many times that MM is superior with it's theme, rules, sound, but occasionally you have a really great game on AFM and realize that the gameplay is the real toss up between these games.

#183 5 years ago

I like the rules better on AFM. Defending the cities in AFM is similar to beating the castles on MM but I find the other objectives in AFM (super jackpot, 5 way combo, total annihilation, etc..) more interesting than the royal madness objectives in MM.

I also prefer the way AFM shoots over MM, though not by a large margin.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Played both games tonight back-to-back, and once again, I'm debating with myself about what game is better.
I have said many times that MM is superior with it's theme, rules, sound, but occasionally you have a really great game on AFM and realize that the gameplay is the real toss up between these games.

THAT is the key, only that good game is when it's arguably close to MM, but play 20 on each, you will more likely have more entertaining/fun games on MM than AFM. Which for me is why it's the better game, even crappy ones are still fun.

YMMV.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

THAT is the key, only that good game is when it's arguably close to MM, but play 20 on each, you will more likely have more entertaining/fun games on MM than AFM. Which for me is why it's the better game, even crappy ones are still fun.
YMMV.

Had a friend over last night, and I had like a 10 minute ball on MMR. When that game is flowing, it does so much, so we'll.

Then we go over to AFM, and it's brutal drains and fighting to keep the ball alive.

They're like siblings that have completely different dispositions.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Have you listened to that right troll? There’s no doubt it’s Bobcat

I thought it was Freres...

#187 5 years ago

Couple of nights ago I did RTU for the first time since moving text outlane post back to factory setting.

Either topper going off on AFMR, it made the journey to RTU even more intense.

I was about to sell my AFMR, but that ad has now been take down! Haha

2 months later
#188 5 years ago

With MBr now being announced, and looking pretty nice, I thought I would revisit our MM vs. AFM discussion and add MB to the mix.

Where do you all rate these games from 1-3, in order of what you enjoy and would like to own in your collection.

I'm curious also to hear from owners of all three (or people with a lot of time on them) about the difference in depth. I know MM and AFM are pretty close, but I keep hearing MB is thin. How thin are we talking though? I mean, MM/AFM aren't that deep compared to modern games, so I'm curious to know what is missing from MB that MM/AFM seem to have.

#189 5 years ago

All three of these fall into my played out, burned out, hyped out,
don't care if ever play or see another one again in my life category.

#190 5 years ago

Best 3 pins in my opinion. I would rate them:

1. AFM (10)
2. MM (9.8)
3. MB (9.5)

#191 5 years ago

Three incredibly fun pins....MB would be my fav with AFMRLE a very close second....

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Best 3 pins in my opinion. I would rate them:
1. AFM (10)
2. MM (9.8)
3. MB (9.5)

That's pretty close, man!

What is the major difference in rules/depth between MM/AFM and MB?

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

That's pretty close, man!
What is the major difference in rules/depth between MM/AFM and MB?

AFM and MM have a similar layout but play differently, as you mentioned.

AFM is faster and more brutal. Strobe multiball is unique. I love the risk reward of shooting the mothership. That ball can come back fast! Perfect rule set that is easy to understand but very difficult to complete. Can be approached in different ways for scoring as well. Love the campy humor of this game and the jiggling martians. And the large faceted inserts glow like jewels, especially with LED lighting. I like the color red in pinball machines and this game has a lot, and it really pops with the complementary green next to it. Beautiful to look at. You can tell the team that created this iconic game was confident and working at the peak of their powers.

MM builds on its predecessor and refines it in some ways. The trolls are a blast and add a lot to the game. Love getting troll madness completed and hitting the trolls as they alternate popping up. Catapult ramp is very cool, as is the castle. More variety of callouts in this game with all the different characters.

MB is great with lots of toys. But overall it seems simpler than the other 2. Rules are not as varied or interesting. Much easier to complete, which might be better for average players like me. I would actually have a chance of finishing this game. Not sure how I feel about that.

I haven’t gotten tired of having AFM and MM as my 2-game collection. I had 3 modern games before which I did get tired of and sold or traded to get these. If I was going to buy a 3rd game it would definitely be MB, but I’m OK with just having the first 2. I think they are a little stronger overall with their gameplay, rules, callouts, and humor.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

AFM and MM have a similar layout but play differently, as you mentioned.
AFM is faster and more brutal. Strobe multiball is unique. I love the risk reward of shooting the mothership. That ball can come back fast! Perfect rule set that is easy to understand but very difficult to complete. Can be approached in different ways for scoring as well. Love the campy humor of this game. You can tell the team that created this iconic game was confident and working at the peak of their powers.
MM builds on its predecessor and refines it in some ways. The trolls are a blast and add a lot to the game. Love getting troll madness completed and hitting the trolls as they alternate popping up. Catapult ramp is very cool, as is the castle.
MB is great with lots of toys. But overall it seems simpler than the other 2. Rules are not as varied or interesting. Much easier to complete, which might be better for average players like me. I would actually have a chance of finishing this game. Not sure how I feel about that.
I haven’t gotten tired of having AFM and MM as my 2-game collection. If I was going to buy a 3rd game it would definitely be MB, but I’m OK with just having the first 2. I think they are a little stronger overall with their gameplay, rules, callouts, and humor.

Great post! I have had some issues with CGC support in the past, and said I would never buy another one of their games, but I'd be a liar to say that the new game isn't impressive.

It just got me thinking. I think I have a nice variety of games right now, and if I were to bring a MB in, I would have to let go of something (or get a divorce haha).

MMR/AFMR aren't going anywhere. I've finished MMR about 5 times (thought the posts are down so my wife and friends can I enjoy) and I've finished AFMR now twice with factory everything.

LOTR is also a keeper for me, and now maybe even my favourite game.

TWD is a weird one. I think I love it as much as I hate it, which gets a little confusing. I would say 80% of the game I have on TWD make me want to tip the game over, but when the game gives me a little love, and I get close to that ultimate wizard mode (LMS) it's pretty damn satisfying!

That leaves me with TSPP and DI on the chopping block. I've only had TSPP for a while, and I'm yet to really form an opinion on it. I don't find it flows all that nicely, and with the factory settings set to no ball save, it can be brutal right off the plunge!

I kinda feel the same way about DI, even though I've had it for year now. Total love/hate relationship with that game. It is fun though, and has some neat shots.

Oh, the first world pinball problems!

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Great post! I have had some issues with CGC support in the past, and said I would never buy another one of their games, but I'd be a liar to say that the new game isn't impressive.
It just got me thinking. I think I have a nice variety of games right now, and if I were to bring a MB in, I would have to let go of something (or get a divorce haha).
MMR/AFMR aren't going anywhere. I've finished MMR about 5 times (thought the posts are down so my wife and friends can I enjoy) and I've finished AFMR now twice with factory everything.
LOTR is also a keeper for me, and now maybe even my favourite game.
TWD is a weird one. I think I love it as much as I hate it, which gets a little confusing. I would say 80% of the game I have on TWD make me want to tip the game over, but when the game gives me a little love, and I get close to that ultimate wizard mode (LMS) it's pretty damn satisfying!
That leaves me with TSPP and DI on the chopping block. I've only had TSPP for a while, and I'm yet to really form an opinion on it. I don't find it flows all that nicely, and with the factory settings set to no ball save, it can be brutal right off the plunge!
I kinda feel the same way about DI, even though I've had it for year now. Total love/hate relationship with that game. It is fun though, and has some neat shots.
Oh, the first world pinball problems!

Haha. Yes, definitely the problem to have!

I forgot to mention that MMr is the only game I’ve experienced that continues to increase in enjoyment the more I play it. Usually it’s the opposite. I loved AFM from the first plunge but it took some time for me to fully appreciate how good MMr is.

#196 5 years ago

It's tough to choose between A and A+ games, as all three are great games. I have a close friend who loves and dominates me on AFM, while I dominate him on MM. For me though, it's MM, followed by MB, followed by AFM, but in miniscule point differences. I wouldn't lose sleep having any 2 of the 3, regardless of which two I ordered, to be honest.

7 months later
#197 4 years ago

I wanted a MM but ended up getting an AFM when a decent deal presented itself. I figured Attack would hold me over till I got a Medevil down the road but now I can't see ever parting with AFM.

#198 4 years ago

I had an original AFM back in the day. Sold it, regretted it ever since. I have a remake back in my collection now and I absolutely love it. Such a player's game.

#199 4 years ago

they are all the same layout for the most part. what ever theme you like better is what you should go with.

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

they are all the same layout for the most part. what ever theme you like better is what you should go with.

I've never heard that one before. Ever.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-afm/page/4?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.