41%

(217 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

28F104CC-3209-4329-BDE4-1711C45F5FB0 (resized).jpeg
D3D4AD4D-B150-49DD-9B40-C02BE3636680 (resized).jpeg
19FDCD9C-5195-477F-BD84-89653DE128C0 (resized).jpeg
20200920_201913 (resized).jpg
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I know I know, this conversation is old hat, but now that the remakes have been in people's collections for a few years, let's chat again.

For the poll, please: FOCUS ON THE RULESET AND GAMEPLAY ONLY
You're forced to choose between two champions: Which game do you prefer for gameplay and ruleset?

#2 3 years ago

for myself, I think I'm leaning towards AFM.

On MM I get a lot more shots being returned from the left-orbit trickle and I don't find those as interesting as the returns on AFM.
I think I enjoy the gameplay of the Trolls more than the Martians, but don't like the Merlin shot compared to the AFM scoop.
The castle is an amazing toy, but I think I kind of prefer the martian ship for long-term play?

#3 3 years ago

Well not really sure why (maybe because of the corny humor etc) I never liked MM much and I owned a nice original for years.

Never really understood how it could be so highly rated.. same deal with MB.

AFM to me is way more fun and shoots great, can be a bit wood choppy though.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Well not really sure why (maybe because of the corny humor etc) I never liked MM much and I owned a nice original for years.

Thanks, yeah that's why I want to focus on the ruleset and gameplay only, because often people will have a theme preference one way or the other.

#5 3 years ago

If you were to grab joe off the street who had never played pinball before and left him with both machines, he would prefer Medieval Madness. Taking toys out and playing with a box of lights... he would prefere Medieval Madness.

Were you to take a random player from league night, AFM would win. I've got an original AFM next to a MMr LE at home in a small collection (besides STTNG and TSPP). I'm still loving both, but AFM is staying while MMr is going.

I believe the risk reward shots on AFM are more difficult. You are more likely to drain on the Saucer Shot than the Castle Shot in MMr and it requires a strategy of waiting for and timing your multiball shots. I also think the lower MARTIAN shots are a bit riskier than say the catapult shot.

20200920_201913 (resized).jpg20200920_201913 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

MM for me, I feel the drawbridge and castle are better than the ship and raising 3 bank. I like the Madness MB risk/reward factor over TA, although TA is great. Castle MB and the 3 lock MB on AFM are about the same.
But where MM is bette, is BFTK, it’s more challenging and better implemented than the shoot everything RTU. Just more satisfying to win.
Both are great, but AFM was the rough draft, Medieval is the Masterpiece!

#7 3 years ago

The Royal edition of MMR is just stunning. It’s really hard for me to divorce the gameplay rules from that. The topper / light show / rails just add so much enjoyment for me. That being said I’d love to find a nice AFMle.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Thanks, yeah that's why I want to focus on the ruleset and gameplay only, because often people will have a theme preference one way or the other.

from that stand point AFM is a classic to most "players" and tourney type guys.

MM not so much so thats probably your answer there.

MM has more appeal to the "collector" type who wants more toys and bling and more stuff.

#9 3 years ago

afm is way better.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Which game do you prefer for gameplay and ruleset?

What if 80% choose AFM, will that mean u will prefer it? Never will I understand these threads.

#11 3 years ago

Pros for AFM

Shots

- It has 3 ramps (lock shot has a diverter that turns the shot into a ramp) this is the most satisfying shot in the game, MM only has 2
- Saucer is a much more strategic toy, the bank target has 3 lights, you have to hit the blinking lights to lower the bank
- The drop target fires the ball back at you in a much more intense fashion than the bridge/gate
- 4 martian targets are more fun/a better challenge to shoot than two big trolls

Code
- Better multi balls, more varied and unique
- Has tracked combos, you need to achieve a 5 way combo to get to the wizard mode
- Need to be more strategic with multiballs and bash toy, you have to lower the bank before starting a multi ball
- You need a super jackpot to reach the wizard mode, so you can't just use multi balls to blow up center target

Pros for MM

shots

- Easier to hit more flowy ramps (especially the right ramp) allowing more ramp combo flow, in AFM the right ramp is sometimes hard to hit
- Overall shots "feel" a little more intricate/dynamic because of the way they are presented

Code

- Has a few more tracked achievements, trolls, castles, damsels (vs. just martians)
- Has a little more depth with mode/multiball stacking in order to achieve high scores

Other points

In terms of shot feel I would say that each game matches their theme. AFM is fast, kind of like shooting lasers. MM is a little slower and bendy, kind of like shooting an arrow.

It should be noted that in AFM the orbits at first shoot at the Jets, so you need to "unlock" the flow. In MM the orbit starts open and then closes. A matter of preference there.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What if 80% choose AFM, will that mean u will prefer it? Never will I understand these threads.

Information used to make a big purchase. Finding these games to actually play isn't exactly easy these days.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

In my opinion there are two main reasons why people start threads like this.

1. As has been mentioned above, to gather information prior to purchase. Heck, even if you are lucky enough to be able to try out every game before you buy it, there still is a lot of good information to be had from people who own the games or are more familiar with them.

2. This is a pinball forum. People enjoy discussing many aspects of pinball. Sometimes that includes comparing games to each other. Imagine that. It's how people work. They enjoy discussing their hobbies.

#14 3 years ago

Both games are all time classics. Pretty hard to beat AFM on code imo. I feel like it’s perfect for the game. Some say it’s not deep enough, but I personally feel there is just enough content. My BIGGEST complaint on MM is the scoring!! God I hate the scoring!
Overall afm > mm imo. Both fun games though for sure.

#15 3 years ago

I'm sort of in between, I'm not really a random person off the street who doesn't play pinball, but I'm no expert either. But I have gotten into pins in my last years so I have some experience. All my experience with these 2 machines so far is from my trips over to the Banning museum. So I have played them a decent amount but not a lot, and definitely not enough to get a mental picture of everything that is going on with the rules and such.

So, I really like playing both of them, basically just bashing away and having fun. But I will say this, even without really knowing what I was doing, and just bashing away at MM, I beat the ever-loving snot out of that game. Racked up credits like crazy. That always worries me, when I can somewhat easily beat a machine I have barely played. That might be a signal it is too easy and will get boring. ATM didn't seem to have this issue.

#16 3 years ago

I had both, side by side even and AFM left. I still miss it from time to time but MM has more shots and it flows better imo. I had limited space and they both felt similar so adding all aspects up MM is really the next evolutionary step from AFM.

Either one is amazing but in a small collection of 5 or less, no reason to have both.

#17 3 years ago

Attack from mars is pinball perfection, in almost every way.

The castle in MM is awesome, but in my opinion, the flying saucer/ force field is a better toy. Maybe not even the toy itself, as much as the way it is integrated into the rules and introduces some really nice layers of strategy. Plus, it simply feels better to bash.

#18 3 years ago

Had a MM. Fun toys (castle/trolls) but rules/code got stale quickly.

#19 3 years ago

I'm a AFM type for sure. I think both can be a bit wood chopping, but I think AFM does a better job of sprinkling in fun stuff to do while you chop wood.

That said, toys on MM > AFM.

#20 3 years ago

Looks like it was a tie 7 years ago, MM had an edge 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-vs-mm

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-afm-the-case-for-afm

19FDCD9C-5195-477F-BD84-89653DE128C0 (resized).jpeg19FDCD9C-5195-477F-BD84-89653DE128C0 (resized).jpeg

D3D4AD4D-B150-49DD-9B40-C02BE3636680 (resized).jpegD3D4AD4D-B150-49DD-9B40-C02BE3636680 (resized).jpeg
#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Looks like it was a tie 7 years ago, MM had an edge 8 years ago

thank you for digging that one up!
Lots more people have/had these 2 machines in their collections thanks to the remakes so interesting to see how things shift as more people play them for longer time periods.
We also have a larger scene for competitive pinball now, so perhaps more people are leaning into the code for consideration.

#22 3 years ago

I've had both for more than 10 years now, but give the nod to AFM. On top of all the other reasons some prior posters have said they give the nod to AFM, I'll add that getting "Dirty Pool" on AFM is one of my favorite pinball moments in any game, and the ability to do that makes the Saucer/Force Field raising and lowering target bank one of the best toys in pinball. I love it.

#23 3 years ago

Also someone posted this on reddit the other week

https://www.reddit.com/r/pinball/comments/isno2f/attack_from_mars_or_medieval_madness/

106 v 61 for MM. Interesting it was nearly 2/3 for AFM here and 2/3 for MM there

#24 3 years ago

I've owned both these games. One isn't really better than the other. As most people who have played or owned both these games know there are several similarities in call outs, rules, etc....it really comes down to personal preference. For myself I ended up selling AFMRLE and keeping my MMRLE .... why? because the kids liked blowing up the castle more than the ship....they are both great games with great flow, and rule sets u don't need to be a PHD to understand.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Information used to make a big purchase. Finding these games to actually play isn't exactly easy these days.

Then u shouldn't buy it. That's a lot of money to spend on a toy because other people like it. Make arrangements to try both then decide. Listen I'm very guilty of this and that's why I'm trying to help this man, when I first starting collecting I bought what I thought u were supposed to, like a real jackass that I am. the big name B/W and most of them were disappointing but I loved the middle ground. JM, TS Congo etc. they were half the price and not really celebrated. So learn from my mistake and try both then decide. Personally I would rather have TS than AFM and JM than MM. Good luck

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Then u shouldn't buy it. That's a lot of money to spend on a toy because other people like it. Make arrangements to try both then decide. Listen I'm very guilty of this and that's why I'm trying to help this man, when I first starting collecting I bought what I thought u were supposed to, like a real jackass that I am. the big name B/W and most of them were disappointing but I loved the middle ground. JM, TS Congo etc. they were half the price and not really celebrated. So learn from my mistake and try both then decide. Personally I would rather have TS than AFM and JM than MM. Good luck

Its true...ratings are totally subjective....its crazy to me how many games are purchased site unseen...every game, theme, etc...resonates with people differently.

#27 3 years ago

Both games are amazing and i would love to own both but there’s something about AFM that is just flat out fun.

#28 3 years ago

with JP overtaking Monster Bash on the Top 100 list, I wonder if there will ever be a reckoning with AFM overtaking MM
(YES YES, TOP 100 DRAMA IS DUMB, I KNOW... lol)

#29 3 years ago

I own MMr and never owned AFM but have played it quite a few times. Played an AFMr a few months ago and my impression was.... meh..

While they are both somewhat shallow games by today's standard, I find that BFTK is more challenging than RTU. I prefer games I cannot easily get to the end. I have gotten to BFTK quite a few times now and even almost twice per game on a few occasions but never been successful at beating the King of Payne. Keeps me coming back for more.

Also, as been said above, non-pinheads LOVE MM.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Also, as been said above, non-pinheads LOVE MM.

I said that earlier.... AFM is more of a players game and MM is more for the bling and trophy collecting guys

I dont know anyone who I would consider a good player or tourney type guy who has a MM..... AFM yes.

MM is a favorite among the more casual players.. or back in the day just because it was the most expensive pin so it was a trophy.

#31 3 years ago

They are both great games for a multitude of reasons. Both have about the same code complexity, both have great flow, both have their major toys in the center of the play field, both have very similar callouts, both standard size games....one u blow up castles, the other u blow up space ships....pick your poison

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I said that earlier.... AFM is more of a players game and MM is more for the bling and trophy collecting guys
I dont know anyone who I would consider a good player or tourney type guy who has a MM..... AFM yes.
MM is a favorite among the more casual players.. or back in the day just because it was the most expensive pin so it was a trophy.

I disagree but to each his own. I think that I probably didn't like AFMr much because I have RFM which re-uses a lot of the same assets and the layout is certainly similar. Never intended to own one (RFM) but the deal was impossible to pass on. Now there's another game that non-pinheads like but I digress lol.

#33 3 years ago

i saw afm. its fun, sometimes too hard (depending on your setting). the rule are simple, but the game can be deeper than most realize with some not so seen multiballs, moving targets and mini game on the screen.

i like mm, but heard a lot of folks say how easy it is. on afm, rule the universe is not easy and you can have a great game, followed by one that just kicks your butt.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

i saw afm. its fun, sometimes too hard (depending on your setting). the rule are simple, but the game can be deeper than most realize with some not so seen multiballs, moving targets and mini game on the screen.

Same can be said about MM with Barnyard Madness and the elusive "Save the Children" video mode. Royal Madness is cool too with having to make all the shots within a certain time.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Same can be said about MM with Barnyard Madness and the elusive "Save the Children" video mode. Royal Madness is cool too with having to make all the shots within a certain time.

It's weird how few people know about the video mode in MM. Then again, it's awful and is not easy to start. (Maybe they made it hard to start because it stinks?)

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's weird how few people know about the video mode in MM. Then again, it's awful and is not easy to start. (Maybe they made it hard to start because it stinks?)

I find it slightly better than the AFM video mode which is nothing more than sweeping side to side the whole time. At least on MM you have to change directions sometimes lol. I think video modes suck in general anyway.

With that being said both AFM and MM at least have some randomness in the video modes it's not always identical (like Dr Who, STTNG, etc).

#38 3 years ago

Strobe multiball!!

End of debate.

#39 3 years ago

They’re both great, and really very similar. Overall I prefer MM but I wouldn’t turn down an AFM... however I don’t think you need to own both.

As for why MM? Theme, art and sound are subjective so I’ll leave them out of this...

Multiball Madness. It’s super cool to stack all the various multiballs and them pop them all off at once... it’s basically an evolution of Total Annihilation.

The standard Multiball mode where you’re killing the knights is a little more interesting than just shoot shoot shoot super jackpot...

The ability to hunt castles in multiball... AFM will let you kill an open saucer during MB but not open another. MM you can actually keep qualifying castles. This gives you more multiball strategy in MM.

Trolls are more fun and cooler than the bouncing martians and targets. They also get in the way, which is more of a challenge.

The Battle for the Kingdom endgame on MM is also more satisfying, it’s kind of an evolutionary step from AFMs.

I had them both once. Started out preferring AFM, ended up preferring MM... it’s just AFM perfected. You can see the design lineage and how Lyman and Eddy set out to improve certain things.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Strobe multiball!!
End of debate.

DAMN YOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shakes fist at Fizz

#41 3 years ago

I prefer MM and yes I own one. But I recently borrowed AFM for a few months and I have more fun with MM. AFM is a fun game, but I didn't like the right ramp and the one shot that felt good isn't available all the time. Talking about the middle ramp to lock balls...wish it could be a real ramp all the time.

#42 3 years ago

I honestly think these games are both awesome. I favor afm, but that's just personal preference.

I wouldn't mind picking up an mm at some point though.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

DAMN YOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shakes fist at fizz

LOL!!

#44 3 years ago

That's the ONE thing I haven't done. Played Strobe Multiball in a dark room. RFM has a similar mode with Hypno Beam but there's nothing like having a seizure while playing pinball lol.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

The ability to hunt castles in multiball... AFM will let you kill an open saucer during MB but not open another. MM you can actually keep qualifying castles. This gives you more multiball strategy in MM.

I actually prefer how AFM doesn't allow you to make a ton of progress on UFO's during a multiball. And also you can dirty pool which is one of the coolest tricks in pinball. (Or just leave it parked up there and play a single ball multiball)

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

That's the ONE thing I haven't done. Played Strobe Multiball in a dark room. RFM has a similar mode with Hypno Beam but there's nothing like having a seizure while playing pinball lol.

Ah man it's one of the coolest things ever. I love it.

That said... It's just a points fest and doesn't matter much in the game as far as advancing in the ruleset or anything. And it loses a lot of its awesomeness in a well lit room.

But man, in a dark room... SO COOL. Assuming you don't have seizures.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Ah man it's one of the coolest things ever. I love it.
That said... It's just a points fest and doesn't matter much in the game as far as advancing in the ruleset or anything. And it loses a lot of its awesomeness in a well lit room.
But man, in a dark room... SO COOL. Assuming you don't have seizures.

It's good for earning an EB (and a half bill on your way there)

#48 3 years ago

Had both, sold AFM around 4yrs ago...
missed it and so..,

28F104CC-3209-4329-BDE4-1711C45F5FB0 (resized).jpeg28F104CC-3209-4329-BDE4-1711C45F5FB0 (resized).jpeg
#49 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's good for earning an EB (and a half bill on your way there)

Really? That's awesome. I had no idea there was an extra ball in there. I guess we now know how much I suck! Do you just get the eb after a certain number of hits?

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Really? That's awesome. I had no idea there was an extra ball in there. I guess we now know how much I suck! Do you just get the eb after a certain number of hits?

Yeah. I believe it's 10 hits to lit EB. And then it's like 250m jackpots every additional 10 hits or so. (On top of the 50mil per shot)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 79.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-vs-afm-which-has-better-rules-gameplay?hl=fizz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.