New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 277864)

MM vs AFM: which has better rules + gameplay

By cait001

33 days ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by Bigdaddy1000
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“which game has the better gameplay + rules?”

• Attack From Mars 123 votes
    59%
  • Medieval Madness 85 votes
    41%

(208 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

28F104CC-3209-4329-BDE4-1711C45F5FB0 (resized).jpeg
D3D4AD4D-B150-49DD-9B40-C02BE3636680 (resized).jpeg
19FDCD9C-5195-477F-BD84-89653DE128C0 (resized).jpeg
20200920_201913 (resized).jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 32 days ago

Both are awesome games and play very similar. I have owned 2 original MM's and still have one. I've owned an original AFM and a remake. I prefer the remake Le as the topper kills it. Sold the remake, miss it and most likely grab another if a martian green comes up again which I am sure will.

MMrRE lights are too much IMO overkill. Personally I never liked the play of the MMr, it didn't feel like my original but AFMr plays great and MBrLE is amazing and solid. Can't wait for the next release. If it's TAF or IJ and will grab an LE for sure.

#52 32 days ago

Yeah, even though I prefer me some AFM, I still love MM. I keep 'em both.

#53 32 days ago

I had an AFM, sold it. Just bought a remake. Not selling it.

#54 32 days ago
Quoted from Edster:

Can't wait for the next release.

I'd like a brand new in box Funhouse.

#55 32 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I guess I haven't played one enough. Rudy kinda freaks me out.

#56 32 days ago
Quoted from Edster:

Rudy kinda freaks me out.

Me 2, that's why I want one again.

#57 32 days ago

I've owned both an AFMLE and a MMLE and I think AFM is the winner.

QSS

#58 32 days ago

I'm not really qualified to post in here since I've owned neither (but love both).
Just wanted to mention that AFM was my first 10,000,000,000 game ever (really my first time hitting a billion period, which in itself gets you soo jazzed) at 1Up Colfax in CO so I'm goin with that one lol.

#59 32 days ago

Had both at same time(along with mb which left super fast lol) ... afm still here 3-4 years later and mm left rather quickly ( 6-9 months). Both are great but I personally perfer afm code and layout. I set my games up steep and fairly brutal overall. I still have yet to rtu and have only attacked mars a few times. The code matches the games layout/difficulty perfect imo and the reason it's so great and addictive.

#60 31 days ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Pros for AFM

It should be noted that in AFM the orbits at first shoot at the Jets, so you need to "unlock" the flow. In MM the orbit starts open and then closes. A matter of preference there.

love this.
hadn't thought about it before but you're right. you have to "unlock the flow" of the orbits and this is very gratifying and satisfying when it happens.
well spotted.

#61 31 days ago

I keep going back and forth on it and is very hard to decide which one is the better as they are so similar and both great games and all time classics.
These days I think I have AFM being the better of the two. but this may change again

so to date i voted AFM > MM, by a hair.

#62 31 days ago

The reality that nobody wants to admit is that RFM is actually the far superior game......

#63 31 days ago

Ok. I have AFM Special, MMR Royal, Ghostbusters Premium and ACDC Pro. I like them all but between AFM and MMR I reckon MMR is just more fun. Interestingly, my kids always play Ghostbusters and MMR. Never AFM or ACDC.

#64 31 days ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The reality that nobody wants to admit is that RFM is actually the far superior game......

Personally, I love AFM (my favorite pin) but don’t care for RFM at all. I want to love it, and I think the pin 2000 idea was innovative at the time, but what it comes down to for me is just how dark the playfield is. I don’t like not being able to see the ball when it is on the upper playfield.

#65 31 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Personally, I love AFM (my favorite pin) but don’t care for RFM at all. I want to love it, and I think the pin 2000 idea was innovative at the time, but what it comes down to for me is just how dark the playfield is. I don’t like not being able to see the ball when it is on the upper playfield.

My memory from when I owned it and from this often cited criticism is, the ball spends almost no time up there doing anything other than returning to the playfield, and I never had a problem seeing the ball going through the lanes up on the upper left as they left this "black" on the monitor for the purpose. But, I will give you that a lot of people say that is a reason they don't like it - I just never quite understood it.

#66 31 days ago

I have both and probably will end up keeping both. My wife and I play both all the time but seem to play AFM more. Either one never gets old for us.

#67 31 days ago

AFM for me, I don’t like the trolls as much as the Martians. Something about the trolls bugs me, at first I thought they were great but I’m over them.

I don’t have as much games played on MM but to me they’re both great shots but AFM feels faster and has more adrenaline moments with hurry ups imo.

#68 31 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

yeah but what would pay for a NIB FHRe

#69 31 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Me 2, that's why I want one again.

I have to find one and give it a good play.

#70 31 days ago

I owned an original AFM and MM back in the day. More recently I owned MMrLE and AFMrLE. The MMrLE is long gone and I never feel like I miss it. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but just not amazing. AFM, however, I don't ever see leaving. Game is wicked fun. Fast. Just an enjoyable experience every time I hit play.

Hope that helps. And, as always, this is just my opinion. Your experience may differ.

Darin

#71 31 days ago

I sold my GOT in jan with plans to get AFM this fall. Then covid came and changed everything.

My next game will be AFM

#72 31 days ago

Sold an AFMLE and sort of miss it. It’s fast, funny, loud and raucous fun. Strobe multiball is epic. Played an MM twice at the VFW show and was bored to tears as it felt very slow. I’m still wanting to try a remake in the hopes of changing my opinion to the point of making a purchase.

#73 31 days ago
Quoted from Budman:

Sold an AFMLE and sort of miss it. It’s fast, funny, loud and raucous fun. Strobe multiball is epic. Played an MM twice at the VFW show and was bored to tears as it felt very slow. I’m still wanting to try a remake in the hopes of changing my opinion to the point of making a purchase.

One of the big differences for me is how on MM there are a number of shots where the ball stops and is returned safely/rourtinely. Catapult captures the ball and fires it around. The lock shot and castle shots return the ball to the left orbit trickle. And if you're like me and make bad shots that rattle around, incomplete lock and castle shots get returned on the left too.

The AFM scoop returns ball much faster, too

#74 31 days ago

The rules on afm is better and more varied and balanced.
The playfield is better balanced on afm, whilst the mm playfield is so focused on left side play.
The toy/sensation is awesome with mm. Everybody likes, however i think that with the remake super screen and shaker the sensation for destroying the mothership is also awesome.

If i had the chance to get original game, i would go mm with a slim margin.
If i had a chance at the remakes afm is the clear winner for me.

#75 31 days ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

The rules on afm is better and more varied and balanced.
The playfield is better balanced on afm, whilst the mm playfield is so focused on left side play.
The toy/sensation is awesome with mm. Everybody likes, however i think that with the remake super screen and shaker the sensation for destroying the mothership is also awesome.
If i had the chance to get original game, i would go mm with a slim margin.
If i had a chance at the remakes afm is the clear winner for me.

why do you think its focused on the left side? I don't get that all.

Left side has sling, catapult, orbit, left ramp, ball lock

Right side has sling, orbit, right ramp, targets, bumpers, skill shot, and merlin hole

#76 30 days ago
Quoted from Edster:

I have to find one and give it a good play.

Its a great game but won't be long before u get bored with it. I'm just in the final phase of collecting and there's about 3 games I want to have that will never leave again and Funhouse is 1 of them. I have a great SW's pin and Centaur would be the 3rd.

#77 29 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

why do you think its focused on the left side? I don't get that all.
Left side has sling, catapult, orbit, left ramp, ball lock
Right side has sling, orbit, right ramp, targets, bumpers, skill shot, and merlin hole

The focus in on the left side, cause the interactive toys are all there. The moat, the trolls, the castle.
Have you ever seen anybody beginner or advanced not focusing on the left side of the pf?

I would have loved an interactive dragon and a more cool and with some sort of surprise damsel in distress.
Well, if that would have happened, there wouldn´t be much use for any other pinball machines.

#78 29 days ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

The focus in on the left side, cause the interactive toys are all there. The moat, the trolls, the castle.
Have you ever seen anybody beginner or advanced not focusing on the left side of the pf?
I would have loved an interactive dragon and a more cool and with some sort of surprise damsel in distress.
Well, if that would have happened, there wouldn´t be much use for any other pinball machines.

Moat, castle are in the middle, and the trolls are on the left and right...not trying to argue, but I think the game is pretty well balanced, and yes an additional interactive dragon would definitely be cool.

#79 29 days ago

I had both for a long time and they really are too similar in game play to me. I ended up selling the AFM because I prefer the theme of MM. I think to each his own - they are very close in gameplay as far as I'm concerned. Both are very good games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Indialantic, FL
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside