Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by taz
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2836C0A5-D9F8-4824-A0E4-E5A44B7E4876 (resized).png

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

I own a MMR, and everyone I talk to about AFM, tells me not to even think about it because they're essentially the same game.

Being that I've never played AFM, I'm curious to hear from you all about how similar or different they are.

#2 2 years ago

Have both ...love both, but perfer afm overall. Definitely room for both in a collection imo ( especially a collection of 5 or more pins) . Actually most my pins are similar in layout and rules.... afm, mm, mb, met and all play very different and i dont feel like im playing the same game when i go from one to another. Try one out and i think u will also love it .....

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Have both ...love both, but perfer afm overall. Definitely room for both in a collection imo ( especially a collection of 5 or more pins) . Actually most my pins are similar in layout and rules.... afm, mm, mb, met and all play very different and i dont feel like im playing the same game when i go from one to another. Try one out and i think u will also love it .....

Your collection is great

#4 2 years ago

Had both MM is gone.....Imo afm just never gets old

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Had both MM is gone.....Imo afm just never gets old

Agreed as ive had afm for alot longer than mm and afm is still the pin i play most..... just fast. Flowing, difficult awesome fun.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Your collection is great

Thax ...im very proud of it for sure.

#7 2 years ago

I have both. I consider them very similar in layout. I like the long ramps and catapult on MM. Also, I like the castle better than the spaceship. I also much prefer the 2 part (and difficult) wizard mode on MM versus just having to score points on AFM. I would hate to part with either game, but MM is my clear favorite.

#8 2 years ago

I think being popular and being two of the better themes out there is the only thing these games have in common. Completely different theme, ruleset, and strategy. I played these games so much in the late 1990'S. I don't really feel any desire to own them. They are both excellent games. To me they both seem equally challenging as well. It's cool that they were both remade so more people have a chance of owning them. I do enjoy playing Medieval Madness more though.

#9 2 years ago

I like AFM better than Mm as well. That isn't about the rules or theme. It is all about the fact that I have more fun playing AFM.

I also think they can coexist in a collection. I don't feel they play all that similar.

#10 2 years ago

I agree with what a lot of people are saying in that they "don't feel or play like the same game". They are very similar though.

If have a small collection and are looking for something a bit different to go with the MMr, grab a game with a third flipper and super deep and complex rules like a Star Trek or something along those lines. RFM goes great with MM (I have those two in my home lineup right now, they compliment each other great).

#11 2 years ago

I love AFM and couldn't order an AFMrLE fast enough when they were announced. In fact I sold my GBLE in a heartbeat to get it. For me I just enjoy the pace and theme of it much more than MM. However I don't agree with others who say they are so much the same game. Not really that close IMO. The layout may be similar but the shots are not the same at all and the pace is totally diffierent. if you love MM I would say you will also love AFM not as the same game but as a compliment to each other. If you don't love MM (like me) you can still have an appreciation for AFM in your collection.

#12 2 years ago

Both are fun and funny. AFM is campy humor, MM more like Monty Python. AFM is faster than MM. Call outs are better on MM (Tina Fey is the damsel).

I am also in the "they are not the same game" camp, though I probably wouldn't have both games in a small collection. I always wanted an AFM to go with my RFM, but don't have the space. I'm a little biased toward MM because (a) I did the original WMS web site for it (b) bought the game NIB in 1997 and still have it and (c) my wife likes the humor in MM better.

Can't go wrong with either game - both hold up very well.

#13 2 years ago

Can't go wrong and it's all opinion, but MM is better. Better theme, better sound/music, better toys, better code, better art. AFM plays smoother and faster, but that's pretty much it. Several annoying things on AFM: SOL hole that constantly gobbles balls and that horrendous video mode.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Can't go wrong and it's all opinion, but MM is better. Better theme, better sound/music, better toys, better code, better art. AFM plays smoother and faster, but that's pretty much it. Several annoying things on AFM: SOL hole that constantly gobbles balls and that horrendous video mode.

Don't forget aliens that keep shaking...way boring and painful for me.
MM is king.

#15 2 years ago

I'm still undecided. Owned an original AFM and sold after about a year, then bought an MM remake with initial doubts as at the time I thought AFM was better. But MM has really grown on me, seems to have longer staying power.

Now I miss AFM so have ordered an LE remake, have no problems owning both they are both timeless classics.

And I think AFM's video mode is way better than MM's.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

This is the only weakness of MM

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

I do like fighting the saucers + the Mothership
JY has this video mode too! Accessible through the time machine.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Better theme, better sound/music, better toys, better code, better art.

I prefer the Sci-Fi theme of AFM, but that's a personal one. Music is great on both. The castle is better than the saucer, but the jumping aliens are a great toy. Code is slightly more complicated on MM, but art is great on both.

So really it comes down to personal preferences. AFM is my favourite but I'd like an MM to go with it.

#19 2 years ago

AFM & MM are at the same time completely different games in every way as well as almost exactly the same game depending on how you look at it.

If all you ever saw and experienced were these two games, you would not see any similarity between them. Like if the only fruits that ever existed were oranges and tangerines you would love them both in subtle and complex ways and think they were completely different.

On the other hand, if an advanced alien race systematically studied every pin ever made by us humans, then, in the aspect of playfield layout and flow, AFM and MM are very similar to each other. In the aspect of playfield layout and flow, they are similar like how you think of oranges and tangerines given that you have experienced a large variety of fruits (sweet citrus fruits). There is a reason for this, MM is a modified version of AFM in the way that they started with the layout and code of AFM and added/removed things and made a different game. "What if we had a castle and had a two stage drawbridge." "What if we added some trolls that popped up and blocked shots". Etc.

IMO, both are fantastic games, each a pinnacle of the pinball artform for a large number of reasons. I think it's nuts to say one is the best and the other sucks - like saying out of the top steak restaurants in the world, one totally sucks over the other.

Now when you hear someone saying "don't get both if you're new to the hobby" what they are saying is that AFM and MM are similar enough that you should probably try a different kind of game (say a stop-and-go like TZ) so that you experience a wider range of pinball layouts. They are right to say this. But those who say they are both awesome are also right.
--
(looks like I must be getting hungry given all the references to food

#20 2 years ago

MM and AFM are both top 3 games for a reason - they are super fun! I wouldn't hesitate to get both since they differ substantially in theme, music, call outs, and rules. If I had to choose only one to get, however, it would definitely be AFM. The energy and humor in that game is out of this world (pun intended). I played the AFMr LE at TPF and was so impressed I ordered one, even though I wasn't planning on getting a new game. It was too much fun to pass up. Try playing both on Pinball Arcade. That will give you a good idea of what to expect.

#21 2 years ago

I've had both and love both. Choose both, buy and sell. Sold AFM and MM is out on temp trade.

#22 2 years ago

Owned both MM is still here and is never leaving.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

AFM plays smoother and faster, but that's pretty much it.m.

Just those minor details, huh? LMAO

#24 2 years ago

I don't see how you can call them the same game. Completely different imo. Sure there are some similarities because they share the same designer. Same thing for Lawlor, Borg, or Ritchie games. I think they are both fun and see no reason why you shouldn't have both. I would try to play any game before buying one. Not everyone loves MM and not everyone loves AFM. I enjoy MM but much prefer AFM. I love the callouts of AFM and the retro scifi theme.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

So close...

#26 2 years ago

I'm not trying to derail this thread there is a commonality. Honestly, I have more fun playing Revenge from Mars. If attack from Mars seems too similar to Medieval Madness for you then this is viable and feasible alternative. Some people don't like the video screen. It's a deal-breaker for most. The layout is very similar. It has the same ridiculous humor comedy and rhetoric. And you still get to kick Martian butts!

#27 2 years ago

Afm has a much better ruleset, which doesn't encourage you to spend the whole game shooting up the middle. Instead you aim to spread your shots all around the game. Much more fun.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Both are fun and funny. AFM is campy humor, MM more like Monty Python. AFM is faster than MM. Call outs are better on MM (Tina Fey is the damsel).

Agree!

I have owned both for a while in a smallish collection, currently 8 games. I think that there is justification to own both. AFM is faster and a little harder to get consistent scoring, MM seems a little deeper. While the layout of the shots is the same they play differently. And yes, they are both consistently top 2-3 games for a reason, for the same reason that they are the first of the remakes. They are both just phenomenal players games. Not the first ones played by my nonpinhead friends when they come over, put other pinball players almost always go straight to my AFM first.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Afm has a much better ruleset, which doesn't encourage you to spend the whole game shooting up the middle. Instead you aim to spread your shots all around the game. Much more fun.

THIS ^^^

#30 2 years ago

For me it was an easy decision to go with AFM, I have owned MM off and on 5 times since 2003 but have never owned AFM. I literally have played AFM less than 5 time (5 games) in my life, so I am looking forward to owning/exploring it (AFM LE ordered). I love MM but have played it so much that I think I liked owning it more than I liked playing it if that makes any sense.

#31 2 years ago

AFM>MM

its easy as that

for me between the big 3 its AFM>MB>MM

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

AFM>MM
its easy as that
for me between the big 3 its AFM>MB>MM

It is easy as...top 100

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

ST is possibly the smoothest, best shooting game of all time. Way smoother than both AFM and MM, but it's still a turd. Just saying...

#34 2 years ago

AFM because of:
-Not spending the game shooting up the middle. More balance on things to do.
-No finnicky Merlin saucer which messes up strategy around trolls and multiball.
-Theme, but that's subjective.

I wanted to like MM more, since I have nostalgic memories playing it as a kid. But even still, I prefer AFM so that's saying something.

BUT Shadow is Brian Eddy's best game.

#35 2 years ago

AFM all day
classic campy theme, good music, fun quirks in the code, nice shots, achievable but not easy, understandable rule set
MM is still a classic but AFM is pinball perfection if a shooting game with flow is your thing...
greatest pin of all time title is a dead heat between: Attack From Mars & Monster Bash
Had AFM MM And MB originals in restored fashion - AFM & MB stayed but MM went out...

#36 2 years ago

Great games, Like the opinions from current and former owners of both as Ill prob only be able to take a swing on one of them soon.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

AFM & MM are at the same time completely different games in every way as well as almost exactly the same game depending on how you look at it.
If all you ever saw and experienced were these two games, you would not see any similarity between them. Like if the only fruits that ever existed were oranges and tangerines you would love them both in subtle and complex ways and think they were completely different.
On the other hand, if an advanced alien race systematically studied every pin ever made by us humans, then, in the aspect of playfield layout and flow, AFM and MM are very similar to each other. In the aspect of playfield layout and flow, they are similar like how you think of oranges and tangerines given that you have experienced a large variety of fruits (sweet citrus fruits). There is a reason for this, MM is a modified version of AFM in the way that they started with the layout and code of AFM and added/removed things and made a different game. "What if we had a castle and had a two stage drawbridge." "What if we added some trolls that popped up and blocked shots". Etc.

Awesome answer!

Can I message you anytime I want to compare anything in life? Haha.

#38 2 years ago

Right now, I have a MMR LE and TZ.

My family and friends really like MM. As for the TZ, everyone looks confused when they play, and have to ask me about the rules, and they get bummed out by all the SDTM and left drains.

I personally love everything about MM. I think the humor, flow, shots, and objective are brilliant.

I've only played AFM on Xbox, so I can't say too much. I'm curious to know how the difficulty of the two games compares. How tough is it to get to the wizard mode in AFM? I find it pretty tough to get to BFTK. I'm getting closer and closer, but still so far away.

I'm also holding out on the hope that CGC will remake MB and TOM in the near future, as I'm chomping at the bit for those!

#39 2 years ago

The gameplay is so good and similar with both of them that I'd have to use theme as the deciding factor.

For me swords and boards is a bit more enjoyable than little green men. Wouldn't mind owning both though!

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just looking through your list, why not get a modern game to add to your collection? I see you have Dialed In! on your wanted list, probably not too far off in price between AFMr and Dialed In! Standard.

You certainly won't have to start a thread asking if they are too similar with Dialed In! And MM.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just looking through your list, why not get a modern game to add to your collection? I see you have Dialed In! on your wanted list, probably not too far off in price between AFMr and Dialed In! Standard.
You certainly won't have to start a thread asking if they are too similar with Dialed In! And MM.

Definitely something I'm considering, but I'm holding off until I get a chance to play it. I love the look of WOZ and Hobbit, but did not enjoy the gameplay at all. Way to slow and floaty for my liking.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

My family and friends really like MM. As for the TZ, everyone looks confused when they play, and have to ask me about the rules, and they get bummed out by all the SDTM and left drains.
I personally love everything about MM. I think the humor, flow, shots, and objective are brilliant.
I've only played AFM on Xbox, so I can't say too much. I'm curious to know how the difficulty of the two games compares. How tough is it to get to the wizard mode in AFM? I find it pretty tough to get to BFTK. I'm getting closer and closer, but still so far away.
I'm also holding out on the hope that CGC will remake MB and TOM in the near future, as I'm chomping at the bit for those!

My afm and mb are more difficult than my mm .... especially afm as mine is very difficult and i love it. Dont count on tom being remade and mb is a while off yet.

#43 2 years ago

Cant wait to get my dile... such a great playing pin with alot going on.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

My afm and mb are more difficult than my mm .... especially afm as mine is very difficult and i love it. Dont count on tom being remade and mb is a while off yet.

Can you compare the difficultly between MM and AFM? What do you have to complete in AFM to finish the game?

I heard there is a good chance TOM, TOTAN, and MB could be remade. Why do you not think TOM will be made?

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I heard there is a good chance TOM, TOTAN, and MB could be remade. Why do you not think TOM will be made?

Well, MMr was announced in October of 2013. Its now April of 2017 and only a couple months has AFM been officially announced.

Everyone seems to feel MB is next after AFMr is all done (late 2018 or early 2019?)...not sure how much further into the future anyone can predict as so much could happen. But would you really want to wait till 2021 or so to get a TOM (assuming it is affer MB) anyway?

#46 2 years ago

For me it's AFM=MB>MM

#47 2 years ago

agree

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Well, MMr was announced in October of 2013. Its now April of 2017 and only a couple months has AFM been officially announced.
Everyone seems to feel MB is next after AFMr is all done (late 2018 or early 2019?)...not sure how much further into the future anyone can predict as so much could happen. But would you really want to wait till 2021 or so to get a TOM (assuming it is affer MB) anyway?

I think the first game took them a while, but look at how quickly AFM is being produced after it's initial announcement. I have a gut feeling that they're going to announce the next one in the very near future, and if it's MB, then I guess I'll be going broke!

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I think the first game took them a while, but look at how quickly AFM is being produced after it's initial announcement. I have a gut feeling that they're going to announce the next one in the very near future, and if it's MB, then I guess I'll be going broke!

None have been made yet .....so lets not jump the gun until that happens lol. Easy to announce something.... producing a quality product in a timely fashion is another thing.

#50 2 years ago

Both are great games. You have had alot of great comments. But, I choose AFM all day.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 89.99
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.99
5,500 (Firm)
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 89.99
$ 399.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cheraw, CO
$ 239.00
$ 30.00
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 3.70
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 87.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside