(Topic ID: 167973)

MM, TZ, GB, MB, Woz, what's a fella to do?

By Oldgoat

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by konghusker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I have a Whirlwind, Rifle Game, PinchHitter, Multi-Arcade, shuffleboard table and a Bally Wizard!. Since I got the Whirlwind, my wife refuses to play the Wizard! I like it well enough but space is such that I will be switching it out for something else. Not sure what to get, we went to a place this week that has a lot of A-list games. So we played a couple games on most of them. Here is what we discovered. Now please remember, the point was to eliminate as many as possible so our reactions may well have been a result of setup. Given that there is no other place locally to try these out, we are going to live with our snap judgments. TAF too damn dark, may well have been setup but the older one gets the more light one needs to see. Couldn't see a damn thing, including the ball. RFM (I really, really wanted to like this one) Wife thought it was too small. The size and height of the machine made it uncomfortable for me to play. JP, wow I literally thought I was going to have a seizure with the lights flashing directly into my face. No good. IJ was OK.
    TZ also dark but was pretty fun and looked like it would have a lot to do, so it is in the running. MB was also fun, in the mix. GB (the standard) brutally fast drains but well lit and seemed fun. MM was the favorite (I don't know if this was original or remake). Probably the result of longer ball times and the feeling that you actually accomplished something like destroying the castle or smacking the trolls made it the favorite. However, given the amount of $ I will be shelling out (not expecting Wizard to make much of a dent in the cost), I would like to reduce the risk of buying something we won't like.

Another game on our list was WOZ. It seems like it might be fun and a thematic fit with Whirlwind (not that that matters beyond a possible tiebreaker) However, no place close by to try it, so I have no first-hand comments. Alas if we go in this direction it will be a roll of the dice.

Questions. First, neither my wife nor I are fans of long ball times (insert middle school joke here... I'll defer as it is too easy) In fact on one of the MM games I somehow managed to get a ton of points winning a credit and earning an extra ball. I let my wife play my extra ball because it felt like it was getting a bit long. Now the occasional long ball is fine, but I don't want a game where one can expect 5-10 minute ball times as typical. On the other hand, GB had a good number of really, really fast drains. I've read that the premium is a bit smoother and more interesting to play, so if there is a significant difference in play between the two, that would be good to know. We'd like a game with a lot of things to do but don't need a really deep, thinking man's game. Basically, would like a game where we can pop down stairs and play 4-5 games in a 1 -1.5 hours or so.

So, given the list of games I listed above, what are your thoughts/recommendations?

#2 7 years ago

I highly recommend woz. It can have long games that are extremely intense, but are typically medium difficulty ball times. The modes and story progression is second to none. The game is a work of art, built like a tank, and is very Deep in rules. I've seen many guys buy a woz based off recommendations and they have all loved it. Now all that said, it really is a decision that you need to make based off of your own play time experience. Woz is unlike anything else out there, and makes a great compliment to ant collection. I played gb pro and as much as I love the theme, it just didn't live up to the hype. I believe the premium is definitely the way to go. Gb will be fun, but frustrating too. You really just need to play each and decide, but woz hands down gets my vote in ALL categories. Good luck.

#3 7 years ago

The issue is that there is no WOZ near me (same with GB premium)...so going in that direction will require a bit of a leap of faith. As for WOZ, what would you say is the length of a typical 3 ball game?

#4 7 years ago

Woz ball times are in the middle imo. It can be brutal at times and over quickly. Not GB hard, but still challenging. It's not typically as long a game though as say hobbit or even metallica. Im not the greatest player, so my times are shorter, but the good games can be 20-30 minutes I'd guess. If you can't play woz first, then I would suggest asking woz owners for opinions, and also watching YouTube videos to get a good idea on game play. I love my sterns, but jjp games have set the new standard. Plus, the other games you mentioned are great games, but over priced and out dated for the price they are bringing imo.

#5 7 years ago

In light of that I would go for the MM. You can't go wrong there. MM is in line with what you described that you like to play. MM will hold its value so if at Some point you get tired of it you can most or all of your money out of it.

#6 7 years ago

Woz is awesome the theme is really well integrated but it is DEEP! Not quite TSPP deep but you've got to do a fair bit before anything really starts to happen. If you're after quick and brutal games two games that really should be on your list are iron man and TWD! I own all 3 and the order they would leave (I doubt they will) IM, WOZ then TWDLE. WOZ and TWDLE are neck and neck though for different reasons.

I'm not a huge fan of MB mainly because I've played in comps and play the one dimension route rather than exploring the game. And I haven't ever really heard the sounds of the game another reason why people love it. MB will be a hard find as people don't want to let it go either.

As said above MM is a game people will always look to buy. The game is solid 9s across all categories. Will MMr you can buy it whenever and wherever you want.

GB I've played a little bit of and whilst it's in early code it's fun. A little linear and the scoring is a bit skewed but I hope they fix that in later codes. You can put up a few billion or you can score in the medium millions all reasonably quickly. This is a game I want because the PF is so beautiful. I'm glad I'm not an early adopter because of all the playfield problems but I'm sure as hell going to get one.

#7 7 years ago

Forgot to say I do want a MM at some stage in my pinball owning life

#8 7 years ago

I'd go with the MM .

#9 7 years ago

tz,mm

#10 7 years ago

MM is great I know you did not mention Creature from the Black Lagoon but it is a family favorite. Tough game shorter ball time might be worth you looking into that one.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Im not the greatest player, so my times are shorter, but the good games can be 20-30 minutes

I can take an occasional 20 minute game but 30 minutes would be a bit much.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from 1967Firebird:

I know you did not mention Creature from the Black Lagoon but it is a family favorite

I really like the look of Creature and think it would be a fun game (plus I like the theme. Alas, not one close by to actually play. What is the typical length of a game?

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I'm not a huge fan of MB mainly because I've played in comps and play the one dimension route rather than exploring the game.

Hard for us to judge in the limited playtime; however, while we certainly try to score points, we really aren't completely focused on that.
    As far as TWD, that theme is not something that appeals to either one of us, so it is not under consideration (but thanks for your thoughts)

#14 7 years ago

Creature sounds like it would be a good fit for what you are looking for. Yeah it has shorter game times than most games mentioned . Rules are not too complex but very fun .

#15 7 years ago

I own all the games listed, with exception of GB ... Which I like but the flashers are just too bright for my eyes in my dimly lit Gameroom, so if RFM sets you off GB would do it twice as fast.

I'm a pretty shallow guy when it comes to deep rule sets, so a game like Woz is wasted on me. If I save Toto I am thrilled. If you think TAF is dark, the center of WOZ between the slings is either dark, or the led's are so bright (even on lowest setting) it makes it look dark to my 62 year old eyes. That said, if you like wide body's and deeper rules and the way they play, TZ and Woz are definitely good choices. In a collection of 2 you do not want something that is too easy or can be mastered quickly.

That leaves MM and MB, and my choice would be MM in a small collection, MB in a bigger collection because it is just so much fun. MM sits right next to MB, and there is a reason MM was repro'ed as it is funny, deep enough to be challenging with great toys, but fits with my flailing flipper style of play (translation - I suck).

I never played a MMR, so defer to others to which is recommended.

I know you didn't ask, but no collection is complete without a SR adrenalin pumping game. My STLE is next to WOZ and STLE is where my wife and most friends go to.

Good luck.

Ron

#16 7 years ago

Well under 5 min that would be a great ball time for me. Shorter games that MM for sure.

#17 7 years ago

WoZ is in a league all of its own. Random people that come to my house go for WoZ 95% of the time. Even if they play other games first, they end up on WoZ. Especially if there are groups of people playing. I think that is where the LCD makes a huge difference. I have heard the video work on TH is even better.

WoZ is the real deal. It will likely be a cornerstone of most collections as time goes on.

#18 7 years ago

Here are two suggestions for getting acquainted with Wizard of Oz in lieu of playing it:
    1) Look up some YouTube videos. There are plenty of them.
    2) Download the owners manual. There is a page showing the progression of modes. Most fan boys of WOZ (I count myself one of them) are fans of the incredible depth of the Keith Johnson software.

In my opinion, you can get a vague feel for Wizard of Oz by playing on location, but the depth of the modes mean that the only way to understand and appreciate Wizard of Oz is at home. Or at least watching someone play at home.

In the same way that Revenge From Mars cemented its place in pinball history, regardless of whether you personally like it or not, I think Wizard of Oz has secured its place in history.

I've had games last less than 2 minutes and had a few marathon games last more than 30 minutes.

#19 7 years ago

Given your complaints about lighting, there's no way you should buy a WoZ without playing one first.

Maybe reach out to local owners and see if you can check one of theirs out.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/wizard-of-oz/owners

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Given your complaints about lighting, there's no way you should buy a WoZ without playing one first.
    Maybe reach out to local owners and see if you can check one of theirs out.

First, it was really just JP. GB was very bright but did not bother me at all. It seemed like I was walking the red carpet at the Oscars fording through a sea of Paparazzi with all those super bright white LED's flashing in my face. Again, would warm white, lower brightness have solved it? Maybe.

As for WOZ, I've looked at videos but it really is hard to tell much about the lighting. I know it has a great deal of movement and some strobing. However, does it have any extended sequences of bright white, fast strobing?

Reaching out to local owners is probably a good idea...I'm just one of those knuckleheads that hates to think I might be imposing on someone. But I'll definitely keep it in mind.

#21 7 years ago

The gi lighting could be better on woz if you play in a dark room. There are kits that fix that issue easily however to add a couple spot lights. The light show is amazing on woz, better than anything else other than hobbits. My parties are the same way in which people all gravitate to woz over all my other pins and people constantly comment on how awesome woz is. It is literally in a higher league accompanied by hobbit now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-tz-gb-mb-woz-whats-a-fella-to-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.