Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jecase
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a MM (original) that has an odd issue with my right Troll. During game play, when Troll mode starts, the left Troll pops up normally but the right Troll does not pop up. The game seems to "thinks" it's up and working but it is not. However, in coil test it works fine. Also, when in game play, when it starts looking for the balls, it also works, i.e. it pops up during the ball search. The only errors listed in self test are for the Troll Switch but in switch test it works fine. I figure it's reporting this as an error because during game play that switch is not being triggered because the troll is not popping up. Any suggestions as to why this would be happening and how to fix it?

Also, if two balls get in the catapult, the game can not kick them out? Is this a common issue? Is there a fix for this? Maybe a bigger coil?

Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

Troll- works fine in test because nothing else is going on. Check for worn foil sleeve, the roll pin that holds the two piece shaft together - be sure it isn't sticking out a little and dragging inside the coil sleeve, and be sure the collar isn't coming off of the troll carriage and binding things.

Catapult - look at where the ball gets launched up the wireform - it should be smooth and through, if it's hitting into the wireform, the ball won't get kicked through. Getting balls in there can happen, better work on getting them up the wireform smoother, even clean and wax it. Stronger coil will only break things.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

Go into Test Mode, select Adjustments, select Feature Adjustments, go to adjustment 35 and see if you have Right Troll Disabled turned on.

I've heard of the catapult issue before. Some machines handle it better than others. Coil upgrade could be an option, though it might throw a single ball harder so you may need to adjust the habitrail to account for that if suddenly the ball starts falling off more often.

#4 8 years ago

Look at the coil for the troll. I had a problem where one of the coil windings loosened. Soldered it back and all well.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I will check these out, thanks.

5 months later
#6 8 years ago

Your catapult issue - be aware that the catapult ramps on original MMs (don't know about MMR) had a manufacturing defect that worsens over time due to wear. There was an old RGP thread on this back in 1998 with Brian Eddy to identify the problem. From the factory the catapult wireform has a downward curve at the point where the ball starts up the rails, and that needs to be adjusted to have more of an upwards curve to allow the ball more speed up the rails. Over time the issue (ball not reliably launching far enough up the wireform to make it all the way around, and/or difficulty in clearing 2 balls in the catapult) becomes worse as a wear spot develops in the wireform at the point of that downward curve (so not a smooth path). The suggested solution was to insert a 1" diameter piece of wooden dowel (about 3" long) thru the sides of the rails at the point of the downward curve, and using the dowel as a fulcrum point bend the top two rails upwards. This modification allows the ball to pass more smoothly out of the catapult and along the rails, which helps in 2 ways: 1) A single ball launches more reliably out of the catapult, and 2) when multiple balls are in the catapult then it is easier for the first ball to be cleared which then allows the second ball to clear.

Making that adjustment certainly helped on my MM. I remember that when I did it years ago some significant force had to be exerted on the dowel to get the upper rails to gently bend upwards. I didn't feel comfortable doing that with the wireform ramp installed, so I removed the ramp to make the adjustment. I then used a couple of saw horses placed close together, a dowel long enough to rest on both saw horses while passed thru the wireform ramp, and I then exerted pressure on the wireform ramp directly by pushing down on it against the dowel while gently rocking the ramp back and forth (the dowel moves/rolls) to spread out the pressure on the ramp a bit. Sounds more difficult to do than it actually was.

#7 8 years ago

What was the result?

#8 8 years ago

If I recall right, if the switch on the troll face is not working, eventually, the machine recognizes that and compensates by not raising the affected troll at all. No reason to raise a troll if the switch does not work

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wolcott, CT
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 85.00
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 26.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Unisex
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-troll-issue-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.