Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by calvin12
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

During the standard Multiball, my MM is only putting 2 balls into play instead of the 3 it formerly did correctly. During the Madness multiball modes, it sometimes does 2 and sometimes 3. Would I be correct in thinking this is a trough opto issue? Other ideas or places to look for the problem? Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Check to see if the balls are falling to the right in the trough after the 2 balls have been kicked out. It is pretty common for the trough to develop pits from the balls. If the pits get deep enough, the balls will stick on them when there is not enough pressure to force the balls to the right. A couple of suppliers have created trough inserts out of plastic. Pinbits has a nice one. If the pits aren't too deep, you can even use a sheet protector cut down to size(with the cutout for the upkicker). If this isn't the issue, I would check to see if you have 4 balls installed in the game too.

Sean

#3 10 years ago

Be sure the balls aren't magnetized.

If you have divots in the V grove the balls roll down the ball trough in, you can remove the ball trough and stick a big flat mill bastard file in there and file the V grove smooth. Clean and reassemble.

LTG : )™

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice, will have to look when I get home. It sounds like the problem lies in the trough somehow, though, correct to assume? Definitely has 4 balls. The balls are new, but I do not know how they become magetized, how would one check that? Thanks!

#5 10 years ago

They are probably not magnetized if they are new. To check, touch the ball to a piece of iron, nickel, cobalt or steel. If it seems "sticky" it is magnetized.

#6 10 years ago

MM isn't likely to magnetize the balls since it has no magnets. I'd bet on the trough divots, that was what happened on mine.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

MM isn't likely to magnetize the balls since it has no magnets.

And how did we make magnets before electricity ? Bang two pieces of metal together.

It happens, especially on MM. Though I would check for trough divots first.

LTG : )

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And how did we make magnets before electricity ? Bang two pieces of metal together.
It happens, especially on MM. Though I would check for trough divots first.
LTG : )

absolutely, but its less likely than a game with magnets. The far more likely issue on MM is the trough.

#9 10 years ago

OK, I finally was able to find time to look and there is divoting at the 2nd and 3rd ball locations in the trough. If this is the problem, it only happens during multi-ball because the force of the 4th ball otherwise pushes them forward? Earlier was mentioned a "sheet protector" as a possible solution, what exactly is this? Mylar? Might see if I can file them out. Thanks.

#10 10 years ago

It is an overhead slide or a pocket that you slide a sheet of paper into. Both will work just fine. Below is a link to transparency slides.

Sean

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/presentation-equipment-supplies/transparency-film

#11 10 years ago

If the trough has divets in it you can replace or repair it or just buy one of these.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_1&products_id=449&zenid=978nalhfsoj48oojs7ftgsg685

#12 10 years ago

2 minutes of filing is free and fixes the problem. No need to buy anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-multiball-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.