(Topic ID: 64099)

MM: just installed my first set of side rails!

By Buckman

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Buckman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

all_done_topside.JPG
    all_done_topside_2.JPG
    all_done_bottom.JPG
    installing_the_harness.JPG
    inside_of_cab_2.JPG
    inside_of_cab.JPG
    cab_6.JPG
    cab_5.JPG
    cab_3.JPG
    cab_2.JPG
    all_done_2.JPG
    all_done_1.JPG
    all_cleaned_up.JPG
    tools_for_the_job.JPG
    one_rail_off.JPG
    getting_ready.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

For a while now I've had a new set of side rails that I've wanted to install on our MM. The fear of damaging the cabinet decals kept me from getting this project started.

Finally decided to give it a go this weekend and was surprised that it wasn't an overly difficult job, just time consuming. Didn't take long at all to remove the old rails, just used the rubber mallet and puddy knife and went along under each. It was pretty easy to get through the tape. Hardest part was cleaning up the cabinet and getting the tape residue off, used Goo Gone and soap and water for that and it worked out well.

Only other tools for the job were a couple of wrenches (and a table and chairs to rest the backbox on).

Got the new rails and lockdown bar installed and it sure makes a difference, makes the machine look brand new

getting_ready.JPGgetting_ready.JPG one_rail_off.JPGone_rail_off.JPG tools_for_the_job.JPGtools_for_the_job.JPG all_cleaned_up.JPGall_cleaned_up.JPG all_done_1.JPGall_done_1.JPG all_done_2.JPGall_done_2.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Well worth the work. Your MM looks great.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Using a hair dryer/heat gun to heat them up before pulling makes it easier, at least it did for me when i restored a TZ. Well done! if i ever do mine(whicgh i prob wont since its HUO) it will be getting chrome

#4 10 years ago

Great Job !

where did you buy your siderails ? seems like original...

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Well worth the work. Your MM looks great.

Thanks Llyod!

Quoted from Redeyes:

Using a hair dryer/heat gun to heat them up before pulling makes it easier, at least it did for me when i restored a TZ.

I tried this as well and found that it worked, just heating up that leftover tape makes it easier to work with.

Quoted from Nico:

where did you buy your siderails ? seems like original...

I bought the rails and lockdown bar from PBL:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=822
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1369

#6 10 years ago

Buckman is that a HUO MM? look really nice can u post some more pics, inside of cab, back, closer up of PF... either way no biggie just fun lookifng at a really nice example of MM

#7 10 years ago

Nice job! I did my first set about a month ago on my ST:TNG. Used pretty much the same method, only difference is that I just forced the putty knife up through the tape instead of banging on it with a hammer as it worked quicker this way for me, not to mention reducing the amount of noise!

The head also stayed on the entire time. Just removed the hinge from each side (only one at a time) before removing and reinstalling each rail - 4 bolts off and back on.

#8 10 years ago

Buckman is that a HUO MM?

It's not an HUO machine, it was a routed machine that was restored by HEP back in 2005. We purchased it in 2007. In the past couple of years I've replaced / rebuilt some things and over this past month I've spent 55 hours doing a playfield swap (it's one of the latest Mirco darker purple fields, looks fantastic). When I did the swap I rebuilt everything, polished the metal parts and cleaned it all up to look like new again. My last project was the side rails and now I'm waiting to get the apron back from the bodyshop, and I'll be all done with everything on it. The only mods to it are the back panel, colour DMD and the FF speakers (all of which I could return to stock if i want to). It's a fun machine!

cab_2.JPGcab_2.JPG cab_3.JPGcab_3.JPG cab_5.JPGcab_5.JPG cab_6.JPGcab_6.JPG inside_of_cab.JPGinside_of_cab.JPG inside_of_cab_2.JPGinside_of_cab_2.JPG

#9 10 years ago

some pictures with the new playfield in.

installing_the_harness.JPGinstalling_the_harness.JPG all_done_bottom.JPGall_done_bottom.JPG all_done_topside_2.JPGall_done_topside_2.JPG all_done_topside.JPGall_done_topside.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-just-installed-my-first-set-of-side-rails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.