(Topic ID: 140104)

MM: for the same price, would you buy original or remake?

By nosro

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 363 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CCary
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“For the same price, which would you prefer?”

• Medieval Madness original in "very good" condition 218 votes
    48%
  • Medieval Madness remake NIB 240 votes
    52%

(458 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IllBeBack.png
InProduction.jpg
RemakeAnounced.png
MMowner.jpg
mmr.jpg
54421185.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_20150815_225848.jpg
mine.jpg
frolic.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mmr.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#341 8 years ago

As an owner of a MMR....and has owned and worked on many WPC machines.

MMR all the way. I would not turn down a MM in great shape but the new electronics you cannot beat. Much more reliable and way easier to repair. No massive solenoid lamp board. Modular ones that can be replaced easier. Much better power supplies, etc. I have had 2 WPC machines with random reboots due to aging caps, etc.

The build quality on the MMR is second to now impossible to tell from the outside its not an original.

I do miss being able to change lamps around (colors, etc). Some 44 sockets on MMR you can do but most are surface mount.

You cannot go wrong with either one BUT if you had to pay 8k for a MM may as well get a MMR. Was cool unboxing a brand new machine like MMR.

Also this is full plywood box, bottom and cabinet. Its not sheet metal back box like some sterns.

My vote is for MMR all the way unless a MM can be had for much cheaper. The fact that the cost of MM's have dropped a lot shows most people would rather buy new MMR then MM. Already 700+ LE's have been shipped and who knows how many on order.

#343 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No Williams logo? LCD screen? LED lighting? (Transparent inserts? Chipped sling arm holes?)
Plenty of ways to tell original from remake from the outside...

Was about to go into nitpicking details. LCD looks like DMD unless you put your eye up close. LED looks like incandescent for the most part with the software.

To me, without getting anal about the tiny items (most of which are superior to the original) the machines look 99% the same and same quality. The inserts are a defect which is another issue in it self

You must be a original biased MM owner.

#349 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How can anybody possibly make this claim until MMRs have been around for a while?

Don't understand that reasoning. We buy new TV's phones, etc with the latest electronics we do not need time to know they are superior to old electronic components. Why would pinball be any different. You learn and improve and pinball did that. Look at Stern and their systems.

#350 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I am an original owner who was prepared to upgrade to the remake, until I learned the remake was not an upgrade...

Dude, you are seriously blind. I hope to hell you are not licensed to drive...

5 boards filling the back box which cost a fortune to replace or repair vs a small inexpensive beaglebone CPU? If you do not think that's an update then who knows.

Yes I am blind, the emulated dots on the LCD using the SAME software from MM looks nothing like the DMD. Almost thought it was a different game on the LCD. Guess computers are not powerful enough and our monitors do not have the high def to replicate a 40 year old DMD technology. Maybe one day we will get there. May be smart to invest in DMD stock.

#354 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Please, stop and think a bit. You gotta include all the boards UNDER the playfield as well as the beaglebone in your comparison, since that's where all the power supplies and transistors are located. Lots of boards in the head vs some in the head and some screwed to the playfield. Also, how easy will it be to fix that beaglebone in 10 years? You're certainly not going to be able to buy a new one. Even if CGC makes more games, they'll simply buy whatever current CPU solution is available and cheap for each generation.

No, it's kinda the fact a DMD doesn't look like an LCD. Easy to tell from the outside. My games with colorDMDs in them are easy to spot. Also, that little bit about orange vs green LOL

Yes you do have a good point when you put it that way. It is very easy to fix WPC machine albeit sometimes a pain, but since all the components are at any electronic store. And yes they beaglebone may be obsolete but hopefully they keep the interfaces similar on new stuff.

I changed my LCD to orange with some tweaking and looks close to original.

Don't get me wrong, I love tinkering with the Sys 11 and WPC machines and we will be limited on these new ones due to everything intergrated. I do dislike the mounted LED since I like to change them out.

I was just excited to have some new tech come into pinball aside from Stern.

I would not hesitate to buy a MM if it was mint for the same price but if its more than the MMR then the MMR it is. Plus its nice to have some new tech in the line up to learn about.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-for-the-same-price-would-you-buy-original-or-remake?tu=slate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.