(Topic ID: 140104)

MM: for the same price, would you buy original or remake?

By nosro

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 363 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CCary
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“For the same price, which would you prefer?”

• Medieval Madness original in "very good" condition 218 votes
    48%
  • Medieval Madness remake NIB 240 votes
    52%

(458 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IllBeBack.png
InProduction.jpg
RemakeAnounced.png
MMowner.jpg
mmr.jpg
54421185.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_20150815_225848.jpg
mine.jpg
frolic.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mmr.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

Are the brains of that thing really stapled to the underside of the playfield?!

That seems like a pretty bad idea. Playfield vibration is enough to knock solidly soldered wires off of coils, can't imagine what it will do to transistors and chips over the years.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

The remake does everything the original does and is brand new with better technology. I don't care what argument is made about original being better. The fact is that a 2015 Impala is a better car than a 1993 Impala because tchnology is better.

Thank god you brought a cargument in here! I simply couldn't understand what you are trying to say if you hadn't mentioned cars.

Quoted from glasairpilot:

If you have a AFM, CV, BBB, etc now is a good time to sell. They will all be knocked off with better technology.

Right. I've been hearing that for the past 10 months. While i've been playing the awesome AFM I got 10 months ago for less than the cost of the AFMr that does not, and will not likely ever, exist.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Why wouldn't AFMr likely ever exist?

Call it a hunch. Certainly no more outlandish than the claim that BBB, CV, and AFM will all be reproduced in the foreseeable future and smart people are selling theirs now.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Another thought in my buying decision is valuation after purchase. Once the HUO MMR hit the used market, they will price at $1000 less than NIB. .

I doubt that. Most HUO Stern games aren't showing near that kind of discount these days.

#83 8 years ago

Hahaha that brings me back. Isn't wibble the one who was literally selling quarters for $20 as a TZ mod?

I'm not as old as you but just as crotchety. Most mods are stupid, tacky, and intrusive. Color dmd is not.

#124 8 years ago

People, stop ignoring the impact of advancing technology in our lives!!!

You are being moronic!!!

#141 8 years ago

Wart speaks the truth!

Amend your wicked ways, you sinners!

For the pinball god frowns upon the pounds of plastic garbage you adorn your playfields with...your view blocking trinkets...your false idols that you place on ramps, loops, and every bare spot on your playfield...your rats nest of under playfield wires that make all this crap light up. He winces at your seizure inducing LEDs and shaker motors. Repent!!!

Except for color dmd. That one is ok.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Yes, and don't forget those capacitors on those 15 year old boards and other components which give out. Capacitors only have a finite life. Additionally alot easier to fry transistors on these games. Does everyone do the same logic when they buy a TV, Microwave, DVD player, Washer, Dryer, Car, etc - all with SMD components - that it's more reliable to buy a 15 year old version of these?

Cargument...appliancegument...it's all the same.

None of the things you listed are pinball machines, and that logic doesn't apply to them. All of those things - after 15 years of regular use - are disposed of and replaced, as the expense of keeping them running is not acceptable and it's easier and cheaper to replace them. The same is not true with a pinball machine.

We KNOW how reliable a WPC machine is 15 years later, especially after a bare minimum of work is done making the boards like new (and if you are too lazy to do it, $100 will get it done by any number of reliable board guys). And most people have decided that level of reliability is acceptable and desirable.

We have no idea how the new ones are going to hold up, if parts will be available, if the design will turn out to be solid.

Lots of question marks that have nothing to do with microwaves or cars.

2 months later
#262 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

A one of piece of art versus a mass produced amusement device. I see you were absent the day they taught how to make comparisons.

Correct.

If you don't mention cars you aren't doing it right.

1 month later
#348 8 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

As an owner of a MMR....and has owned and worked on many WPC machines.
MMR all the way. I would not turn down a MM in great shape but the new electronics you cannot beat. Much more reliable and way easier to repair.

How can anybody possibly make this claim until MMRs have been around for a while?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 45.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-for-the-same-price-would-you-buy-original-or-remake?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.