(Topic ID: 140104)

MM: for the same price, would you buy original or remake?

By nosro

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 363 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CCary
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“For the same price, which would you prefer?”

• Medieval Madness original in "very good" condition 217 votes
    48%
  • Medieval Madness remake NIB 239 votes
    52%

(456 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IllBeBack.png
InProduction.jpg
RemakeAnounced.png
MMowner.jpg
mmr.jpg
54421185.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_20150815_225848.jpg
mine.jpg
frolic.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mmr.jpg

There are 363 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How can anybody possibly make this claim until MMRs have been around for a while?

Duh... he said they are easier to repair since you just swap out entire boards! How easy is that!?!?! And I'm *positive* these boards will be cheap, cheap, cheap once warranties run out. POSITIVE.

But seriously, I'm very curious where the remakes will rank in reliability a decade from now... and then two decades from now. Nobody knows if there is a ticking time bomb component that will just die after so long.

I didn't buy our MM but I traded for it and I couldn't be happier. A local buddy just received his MMr a few weeks ago and honestly, I love playing that too... except for the "DMD" and some of the inserts being unreadable. The LCD just doesn't feel right for some reason. We have a ColorDMD in ours and I don't notice the jumpiness and blurring he has with his. It's almost like it isn't rendering correctly?

And man, some of his inserts are a joke. The printing is God-awful. We're going to try and put some white paper or stickers on the underside of them since they wash out so bad. Hopefully that helps.

But again, MMr is a blast to play and MM is a blast to play in my book. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Don't understand that reasoning. We buy new TV's phones, etc with the latest electronics we do not need time to know they are superior to old electronic components. Why would pinball be any different. You learn and improve and pinball did that. Look at Stern and their systems.

We buy these things because speed, picture quality, storage capacity, data throughput, etc. really matter on all of those things. On a pinball game - especially one just emulating s/w from a 1997 machine - not so much. The only real advantages in MMR's case is the ability to display better graphics and produce better sound. ColorDMD in MM does a good job of addressing one of those and an upgraded audio system can do a lot with the latter. Where the MMR system can be said to be inferior to OG MM has already been brought up numerous times in this thread - it's an unknown and lacks the massive amount of spare parts, repair knowledge and just generally isn't a known quantity like the WPC system is. Newer electronics != better electronics just because they are newer.

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

5 boards filling the back box which cost a fortune to replace or repair vs a small inexpensive beaglebone CPU? If you do not think that's an update then who knows.

Please, stop and think a bit. You gotta include all the boards UNDER the playfield as well as the beaglebone in your comparison, since that's where all the power supplies and transistors are located. Lots of boards in the head vs some in the head and some screwed to the playfield. Also, how easy will it be to fix that beaglebone in 10 years? You're certainly not going to be able to buy a new one. Even if CGC makes more games, they'll simply buy whatever current CPU solution is available and cheap for each generation.

Quoted from Slate:

Yes I am blind, the emulated dots on the LCD using the SAME software from MM looks nothing like the DMD. Almost thought it was a different game on the LCD. Guess computers are not powerful enough and our monitors do not have the high def to replicate a 40 year old DMD technology.

No, it's kinda the fact a DMD doesn't look like an LCD. Easy to tell from the outside. My games with colorDMDs in them are easy to spot. Also, that little bit about orange vs green LOL

#354 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Please, stop and think a bit. You gotta include all the boards UNDER the playfield as well as the beaglebone in your comparison, since that's where all the power supplies and transistors are located. Lots of boards in the head vs some in the head and some screwed to the playfield. Also, how easy will it be to fix that beaglebone in 10 years? You're certainly not going to be able to buy a new one. Even if CGC makes more games, they'll simply buy whatever current CPU solution is available and cheap for each generation.

No, it's kinda the fact a DMD doesn't look like an LCD. Easy to tell from the outside. My games with colorDMDs in them are easy to spot. Also, that little bit about orange vs green LOL

Yes you do have a good point when you put it that way. It is very easy to fix WPC machine albeit sometimes a pain, but since all the components are at any electronic store. And yes they beaglebone may be obsolete but hopefully they keep the interfaces similar on new stuff.

I changed my LCD to orange with some tweaking and looks close to original.

Don't get me wrong, I love tinkering with the Sys 11 and WPC machines and we will be limited on these new ones due to everything intergrated. I do dislike the mounted LED since I like to change them out.

I was just excited to have some new tech come into pinball aside from Stern.

I would not hesitate to buy a MM if it was mint for the same price but if its more than the MMR then the MMR it is. Plus its nice to have some new tech in the line up to learn about.

#355 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Duh... he said they are easier to repair since you just swap out entire boards! How easy is that!?!?! And I'm *positive* these boards will be cheap, cheap, cheap once warranties run out. POSITIVE.
But seriously, I'm very curious where the remakes will rank in reliability a decade from now... and then two decades from now. Nobody knows if there is a ticking time bomb component that will just die after so long.
I didn't buy our MM but I traded for it and I couldn't be happier. A local buddy just received his MMr a few weeks ago and honestly, I love playing that too... except for the "DMD" and some of the inserts being unreadable. The LCD just doesn't feel right for some reason. We have a ColorDMD in ours and I don't notice the jumpiness and blurring he has with his. It's almost like it isn't rendering correctly?
And man, some of his inserts are a joke. The printing is God-awful. We're going to try and put some white paper or stickers on the underside of them since they wash out so bad. Hopefully that helps.
But again, MMr is a blast to play and MM is a blast to play in my book. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

LCD emulating DMD is a moot, dying point...when that color upgrade with 4x resolution comes out there will be a clear winner in "DMD" graphics.

Edit: Of course we'll still get some die-hard weirdos claiming they like the original uncolored animations better.

#356 3 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

However, where are all these minty original MMs?

In collectors hands who bought them from 1997-2005, some NIB, and never "flipped" them. More than some people realize, but between 500-1000, all over the world. Some operators bought 2-8 machines, and kept one in their home.

They are not an "X Files" legend.
Nearly every serious SS (late era) collector owns one, they just got out of dealing with the current market insanity.
I think I personal know at least 15 proper HUO/NIB/HEP/NOS PF replacement and parts in my area alone.
All do not post.

#357 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Exactly.
Some people are into the game.
Some people are into the prestige.

Some people are into pinball history, design, artwork, mechanics, and development.
"Keepers of history and knowledge".
Bally 6803 machines would not have been saved without their expertise for example.

Prestige is a back seat for many, as that boat sailed years ago. People get over it after a number of years, or just sell out, and move on. Most of the largest collectors do not report what they own.

2 weeks later
#358 3 years ago

Orange looks better than green

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Original. As a normal collector and not one of the smart electronics repair guys, all the tiny surface mount chips and LEDs on the giant remake PCB scare me.
mmr.jpg

Nah...Dead EM's now thats scary stuff lol.

Hoping the MMR electronics are a reliable as the more modern technology we wear - talk on and watch every day. I believe MMr is a step in the right direction reliability wise. I have had my MMr just under a year - other than the sling arm placing - its been flawless.

#360 3 years ago

Have mine for 8 years now and had literally 0 problems. I don't see how to improve this

#361 3 years ago

ORIGINAL ALL DAY LONG.

5 months later
#362 3 years ago

I'm waiting for the remake of the remake........

1 week later
#363 3 years ago

Original please...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 363 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside