(Topic ID: 140104)

MM: for the same price, would you buy original or remake?

By nosro

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 363 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CCary
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“For the same price, which would you prefer?”

• Medieval Madness original in "very good" condition 217 votes
    48%
  • Medieval Madness remake NIB 239 votes
    52%

(456 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IllBeBack.png
InProduction.jpg
RemakeAnounced.png
MMowner.jpg
mmr.jpg
54421185.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_20150815_225848.jpg
mine.jpg
frolic.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mmr.jpg

There are 363 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 4 years ago

Pinwhiz I know you're still here posting in other threads… how's that nice $6500 original doing? Pictures yet? Cat got your tongue… or maybe your camera?

#102 4 years ago

In a lucky timing, I bought MM and AFM new. Keepers now that they're updated. Almost bought SS And MB new and hope to fix that error in judgment by buying the remakes. Not even looking at old games. Not a fixer/techie and new sounds cheaper considering repairs. Centaur anybody?

#103 4 years ago

I have an original MM and love it. Great game, easily repairable and parts are all over. If that MMR busts, your face will turn white and
panic will set in. Don't want to be there when that happens. You won't even have a local tech available to help. Good luck. I see the original
MM"s going up rather than down.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I have an original MM and love it. I see the original
MM"s going up rather than down.

That is a nice wish... But the bubble has burst and the crash has just started. You saw the 30% decline when the NIB MMR were announced and soon when MMR hits the after market you will probably see another 10-20% minimum.

It has nothing really to do with pinball... Just simple economics... Supply and demand... Imagine if this post asked ... HUO MMR for $7500 or MM in ok condition for $9500 or higher. Myself and no one else will be buying the MM. I believe most all votes for MM here are current owners. Those of us (me included) that do not own either yet are really the votes that should count.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

That is a nice wish... But the bubble has burst and the crash has just started. You saw the 30% decline when the NIB MMR were announced and soon when MMR hits the after market you will probably see another 10-20% minimum.
It has nothing really to do with pinball... Just simple economics... Supply and demand... Imagine if this post asked ... HUO MMR for $7500 or MM in ok condition for $9500 or higher. Myself and no one else will be buying the MM. I believe most all votes for MM here are current owners. Those of us (me included) that do not own either yet are really the votes that should count.

Whats a MMr cost in Canada now? $10.600 + tax?

#106 4 years ago

No MMr is still $7999 in Canada + tax. It is C10,600 + tax there though.

#107 4 years ago

Yeah it is the same price in US$ but with exchange it is more. It's all relative cause MM more here too.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Yeah it is the same price in US$ but with exchange it is more. It's all relative cause MM more here too.

Sorry I forgot to put Canadian $

#109 4 years ago

remake. new and more robust electronics, everything else the same.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

that is funny, although I kind of disagree.

blowup doll will be lower maintenance...

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Original. There's been a wealth of information and spare parts to fix them over the past two decades. No doubt they will be easily maintained for a couple decades more. Sure MMR might be more reliable, but it's not more maintainable. If I'm spending $8k on a stupid toy, I need to know I can fix it easily myself when it inevitably breaks down the line. As a normal collector and not one of the smart electronics repair guys, all the tiny surface mount chips and LEDs on the giant remake PCB scare me.
mmr.jpg

exactly. I'm pretty good with electronics but these new boards could easily develop problems in x years and we are now in a very "throw-away" period in electronics manufacturing and repair. also how many titles has this company produced and what will be the projected demand for a good supply of parts to fix them? b/w has the numbers and history with all those games that shared the same components. I find it highly unlikely anyone will ever produce that many pinball machines ever again. plus all of the fixes are common knowledge at this point and a bulk of the electronic maintenance and repairs has already been done.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

WOW! this really splits the community. As of me voting it's split right down the middle at 99 votes for each!

And amazingly it's been this way (exactly) each and every time I've looked at the poll.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

And amazingly it's been this way (exactly) each and every time I've looked at the poll.

i can fix that...

#115 4 years ago

History tells us technology never reverts back, always forward. It has consistently improved the quality of our lives. To ignore its impact is moronic. While there will always be collectible value in "original" or classic items to some, it doesn't mean tech can't take something to the next level, and improve on previous design or engineering. Neither is right or wrong. They are separate and different things and should be accepted as such. This whole argument over which is better is wrong. I certainly understand why originals have their appeal, and I see why new tech may actually improve on what has been done twenty plus years ago. It's all a matter of personal preference and taste, not whether one is better than the other. I like both, for different reasons..

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

History tells us technology never reverts back, always forward. It has consistently improved the quality of our lives. To ignore its impact is moronic. While there will always be collectible value in "original" or classic items to some, it doesn't mean tech can't take something to the next level, and improve on previous design or engineering. Neither is right or wrong. They are separate and different things and should be accepted as such. This whole argument over which is better is wrong. I certainly understand why originals have their appeal, and I see why new tech may actually improve on what has been done twenty plus years ago. It's all a matter of personal preference and taste, not whether one is better than the other. I like both, for different reasons..

Generally I would agree with you, but Newer tech does not always mean better. Sometimes cost savings outweighs performance.

#117 4 years ago

I don't believe I stated it was always better.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

when the word moronic comes out it must be backed up. you dont need to give names but examples of where it was ignored in this discussion. i dont think anyone in their right mind ignores the impact of technology. phones are a great example to use. what you can do with the technology in the smart phone is simply amazing however in the case of mmr they are using new technology to produce the same performance results as the old technology produced. the old technology is known and understood has has 20 year of experience behind it and a good supply of parts. the new technology is unknown with regards to how it will perform 20 years from now. of course the elimination of electrolytic caps is a good thing as is the incorporation of better soldering methods but beyond that I dont see the advantage when duplicating a 20 year old design. addams family has 20,000 units out there alone and thats just 1 of many many wpc games. there will not be 20,000 mmrs produced (or whatever they come up with next and in the future) in my opinion

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Another thought in my buying decision is valuation after purchase. Once the HUO MMR hit the used market, they will price at $1000 less than NIB. However I think that MM currently is still holding at a higher price because MMR have not been fully injected into the marketplace. Those nice MM games at $10,000 stand to drop to at least $8000 if not further. Buying high in a declining market can only result in bigger losses. Unless a very nice and minty MM original can be found currently at $8000 it's an easy choice for MMR.

Have you seen all the stern assholes who buy a game, play it for X months, then sell for the same or more thant hey bought it for?

No way people are going to try and get $7000 for a mmre

#120 4 years ago

I stated to ignore the advancement of technology was moronic, I stand by that.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I stated to ignore the advancement of technology was moronic, I stand by that.

you stated it here which infers that someone here is ignoring the advancement of technology. what was said here that made you pull the moronic card?

#122 4 years ago

I actually wasn't referring to anyone, it was a comment in general. If you think I need to name a specific target, I'm fine with it being you since it seems to be so important to you. Geesh....

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I actually wasn't referring to anyone, it was a comment in general. If you think I need to name a specific target, I'm fine with it being you since it seems to be so important to you. Geesh....

perfect. you already have my answer and everyone else in this thread is not a moron. great solution

#124 4 years ago

People, stop ignoring the impact of advancing technology in our lives!!!

You are being moronic!!!

#125 4 years ago

Who exactly are you referring to as people? you need to back it up, if you are going to make wild accusations like that!

#126 4 years ago

To me the one mistake they made was not waiting on and using the Stern SPIKE system. This would have been better from a maintenance standpoint.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

To me the one mistake they made was not waiting on and using the Stern SPIKE system. This would have been better from a maintenance standpoint.

First of all, I've seen no indication that Stern would be willing to license Spike. maybe I missed it.

Second, Spike would require them to re-write the entire game from scratch, rather than emulating the existing code, which is what the Beaglebone system does.

#128 4 years ago

ok now you've gone too far. what the heck is "that" supposed to mean? how could you say "that" to us? we're not gonna take "that"!

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

ok now you've gone too far. what the heck is "that" supposed to mean? how could you say "that" to us? we're not gonna take "that"!

what i meant by "that" was thanks for having a sense of humor about my virtual interrogation man...

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

First of all, I've seen no indication that Stern would be willing to license Spike. maybe I missed it.
Second, Spike would require them to re-write the entire game from scratch, rather than emulating the existing code, which is what the Beaglebone system does.

It has been stated that was a very real possibility. They simply would have had to write an emulator for SPIKE the same way they did for the system they used. Shrug. No difference except they probably thought in the beginning the MMr would get to market a lot sooner, so waiting on SPIKE would delay it. Hindsight is 20/20 I know.

#131 4 years ago

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

It has been stated that was a very real possibility. They simply would have had to write an emulator for SPIKE the same way they did for the system they used. Shrug. No difference except they probably thought in the beginning the MMr would get to market a lot sooner, so waiting on SPIKE would delay it. Hindsight is 20/20 I know.

that would certainly be cool!

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

54421185.jpg

#134 4 years ago

LOL NOSRO, EXACTLY!

#135 4 years ago

What do you mean nosro? (I really don't know what it stands for, new one on me)

#136 4 years ago

And I did not have sex with that woman!

#137 4 years ago

I have a original Medieval, and no way would I want to trade it for a remake. It's the real deal, and has proven itself. I like to be able to repair my machines if necessary, (electronics) and the info and parts are available to do so with the original.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

What do you mean nosro? (I really don't know what it stands for, new one on me)

what do you mean, mean?

#139 4 years ago

Dam.

#140 4 years ago

Original for me. But I enjoyed mine 10 years ago. MM is a solid game, but to me was not the 'ultimate'

Any time you compare original to remake, I will choose an original. That's just *me*. I don't do LEDs. Don't do chrome or other blingy stuff. People say features are 'improvements' over original. I don't think so. You don't put under car neon on a 68 mustang and 'improve' it. You don't paint a fake rack on Mona Lisa. They are already classics. As-is.

I'm not suggesting there isn't a market for remakes. There clearly is. I'm just not part of that market - and you asked my opinion.

#141 4 years ago

Wart speaks the truth!

Amend your wicked ways, you sinners!

For the pinball god frowns upon the pounds of plastic garbage you adorn your playfields with...your view blocking trinkets...your false idols that you place on ramps, loops, and every bare spot on your playfield...your rats nest of under playfield wires that make all this crap light up. He winces at your seizure inducing LEDs and shaker motors. Repent!!!

Except for color dmd. That one is ok.

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wart speaks the truth!
Amend your wicked ways, you sinners!
For the pinball god frowns upon the pounds of plastic garbage you adorn your playfields with...your view blocking trinkets...your false idols that you place on ramps, loops, and every bare spot on your playfield...your rats nest of under playfield wires that make all this crap light up. He winces at your seizure inducing LEDs and shaker motors. Repent!!!
Except for color dmd. That one is ok.

Herbert!

#143 4 years ago

neither. already owned an original. there's not $8K worth of game there but if you have money falling out of your backside, i'd say original.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

You don't paint a fake rack on Mona Lisa.

I was with you until you said this

#145 4 years ago

I have not played MMR so I cannot really say. I am the type that always prefers original for its collectability and proven reliability.
If I could not find a great original example then ....... to each his own I would likely do the same if I had not searched for years to find a good one.

Either way, outstanding game I have always loved the layout, art, sound, theme, flow and humor.

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

neither. already owned an original. there's not $8K worth of game there but if you have money falling out of your backside, i'd say original.

Well, I'm selling mine. If you have money falling out of your backside and decide to purchase my MM...please wash the cash first. Thanks.

#147 4 years ago

The comparison is NIB MMr with hi-res color DMD animations, and the MM would be a routed original. In that the MMr likely has the edge.

#148 4 years ago

My observation of this thread is that although the vote is very close to 50-50, there are more passionate posts in favor of the original.

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Any time you compare original to remake, I will choose an original. That's just *me*. I don't do LEDs. Don't do chrome or other blingy stuff.

I love LEDs which is why I'd need bulb sockets to do my own!

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

My observation of this thread is that although the vote is very close to 50-50, there are more passionate posts in favor of the original.

Well sure, since the arguments for the original are mostly emotional ones. There is the legit question of long term reliability on MMr, simply because it hasn't been around long enough to know for sure (and it's not like 90s Williams games are paragons of reliability ... It's just all the issues and workarounds are known quantities). but other than that, the only factor in MM's favor are nostalgia-based.

As for me, I have no strong preference. I would take either a near-mint MM or a NIB MMR for the same price. They are the same game when you are playing them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Wanted
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
There are 363 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside