• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-158.jpg
image-34.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So I replaced both flipper assemblies, flipper plates, bushings, coils (blue), coil sleeves, armatures, eos. The whole unit on both flippers when swapping my mm playfield. The flippers can make all the shots but it seems like its just making them. Not snappy and crisp like usual. It almost feels like when you hit a ball at the back of the flipper bat or a mistimed shot where you are flipping as it is already bouncing of the bat and catching it barely at the end of the flippers travel. Just no oomph. Lots of loopers. I checked the pitch with an incline meter and its balls on 6.5 degrees. What am I missing?

#2 10 years ago

Did you allow for about 1/16" of up/down play on the flipper bat? Coils wired up correctly? The power wiring goes to the thick wire and the hold wiring goes to the thin wire with the common wire to the center lug.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks, I forgot to mention I gapped them with a gap tool. I'll double check the lugs but I guess I was under the impression if wired wrong I would know it, lol

#4 10 years ago

Springs? When those springs break, I get mushy flippers.

#5 10 years ago

Check the gap on the EOS switches. Make sure they are closed well (good contact) and have plenty of pressure when closed and they aren't opening too soon. After a rebuild I usually have switch problems.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

Check the gap on the EOS switches. Make sure they are closed well (good contact) and have plenty of pressure when closed and they aren't opening too soon. After a rebuild I usually have switch problems.

Great advice. I totally overlooked the eos switches. In fact, they are the only two solder connections I was concerned I wired on backwards during the whole swap. Can anyone provide a pic or tell me what color wire goes on the lead farthest away from the flipper plate on each flipper?

Thanks for the help!

#7 10 years ago

Eos switches aren't even really needed on fliptronics games. That won't be his issue.

#8 10 years ago

You might try cleaning the optos at the cabinet buttons also.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Eos switches aren't even really needed on fliptronics games. That won't be his issue.

If its closing early, say in the first 1/4 of the plunger stroke, wouldn't it switch it to low power. Basically giving me that spongy feel? What about a eos wired backwards? I'm almost done with my cigar and I'm going to go investigate.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You might try cleaning the optos at the cabinet buttons also.

I thought about that as well but it worked right before the swap and felt funny right after it. The only change being rebuilt flippers. It's noticeable enough that my non playing girlfriend played the second game after the swap and her first comment was the flipper felt weak.

#11 10 years ago

opening early would be an issue. not opening would not be an issue as the sw would take over. Backward, unless it has a diode on it wouldn't matter I dont think, but it probably has a diode so it can be an issue. But it it was backward it just woud not work and the sw would compensate for it.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

opening early would be an issue. not opening would not be an issue as the sw would take over. Backward, unless it has a diode on it wouldn't matter I dont think, but it probably has a diode so it can be an issue. But it it was backward it just woud not work and the sw would compensate for it.

No diodes.

I think opening early may be the culprit. I'm going to investigate shortly. I totally blanked out on the eos may be tripping the low power early. That's how I would explain it now that I thought about it. Coil has power, not binding but just doesn't rocket a ball like you come to expect.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

If its closing early, say in the first 1/4 of the plunger stroke, wouldn't it switch it to low power.

This is correct. The EOS switch is normally open and shouldn't close until the very end of the stroke. As soon as the switch closes it will switch to low power.

#14 10 years ago

Ok. Adjusted the eos. It was closing about a little over 3/4 of the way. It maybe helped some. Still doesn't "feel" right. Can someone confirm my wiring on the flipper. First pic left, second right. image-158.jpgimage-158.jpgimage-34.jpgimage-34.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Yikes, I just saw an exposed wire!! After repairing a dozen crappy repairs it took this picture for me to see it.

#16 10 years ago

EOS adjustments don't do anything on DMD games.

#17 10 years ago

With the power off, how do they feel if you manually move the flippers? Does it feel smooth and easy to do? Does it pop back in place quickly?

#18 10 years ago

Check your flipper button optos and interrupters. A worn or chipped interrupter will definitely affect performance. Also check the resistance of your coils. Just because they have 11629 wrappers doesn't mean they aren't 11630's in disguise. I've seen mislabeled coils. Resistance for an 11629 should be right around 4.0 ohms on the high power side. You should also check the voltage at the coils. DC voltage, negative lead on a side rail, then touch each lug with the positive lead. May have to close coin door to see the voltage. You should see ~70 volts there.

#19 10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out tomorrow.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Check your flipper button optos and interrupters. A worn or chipped interrupter will definitely affect performance. Also check the resistance of your coils. Just because they have 11629 wrappers doesn't mean they aren't 11630's in disguise. I've seen mislabeled coils. Resistance for an 11629 should be right around 4.0 ohms on the high power side. You should also check the voltage at the coils. DC voltage, negative lead on a side rail, then touch each lug with the positive lead. May have to close coin door to see the voltage. You should see ~70 volts there.

Thanks fish race. I am going to check my friend's TZ flippers out. They seem weak to me too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 64.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-flippers-feel-spongy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.