Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Skins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have an interesting problem with my MM castle door opto not picking up every shot that hits the gate. I just finished a playfield swap for a new Mirco one. When I test the opto, it picks up everything passing between, but in an actual game, a fast/hard shot does not register as a hit. Slow or partially deflected shots always register. With the new playfield, it is definitely faster, and I wonder if this is the problem. Would excessive speed be "too fast" for the opto to catch? I do not know the threshold these have. Or with the increased speed I wonder if it is jumping over the opto when it hits the lowered gate? Wondered if anyone has had this issue or if there is a solution? I am going to raise the angle of the playfield to see if this slows it down a bit. I do not see any way to physically raise the optos if the ball is jumping it.

#2 10 years ago

When you did the playfield swap did you put in new optos ? If not I'd start with a fresh pair.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

I just did playfield swap and I used the old optos because they worked fine on the old playfield. All connections are good, and on switch testing they work fine. Moat opto works 100% of the time with gate up. When gate is down is when hard shots do not register a hit. I do not know if both sets of optos must be activated to register a door hit, and there is a coordination problem with a fast ball, or if the door optos act alone with the gate down. They will be a bear to replace, and I hate to go through all that work if it is something more simple.

#4 10 years ago

Not related to your question but I have the latest run of mirco mm playfield being shipped to me. How was the swap? Was everything dimpled accurately and line up correctly?

Thanks

#5 10 years ago

I sent you a PM. I had a similar problem where I believed the ball was getting a little airborne on hard shots and flying over the opto. I bent/straightened the tip of the drawbridge some and that helped a lot. Hopefully that will help you some.

#6 10 years ago

I have the same issue with my original playfield. I noticed it got worse when I out a cliffy drawbridge protector on. From careful testing it appears on a hard shot the ball hits the leading edge of the drawbridge and with or without the cliffy there is enough of a bump to get the ball airborn. The ball will still hit the moat opto but will be too hight in the air to break the gate opto. I have not tried to fix it yet since its not something that always happens but I thin if I could raise the optos just a tiny bit the airball would still break the beam.

#7 10 years ago

Same here, It seemed to happen to me when I installed the castle gate cliffy. I believe the ball is jumping over the beam.

#8 10 years ago

I did not have the Cliffy but the end of my bridge was not perfectly straight. It took a little fooling around with and bending the metal lip but it made a dramatic difference. For me, hitting the gate with a firm shot and not getting the credit for it was really pissing me off and was actually turning me off the game. That one simple and free adjustment was priceless. Keep us posted.

#9 10 years ago

Its relatively rare on my machine w/o the cliffy, it was much more common with the cliffy on though. At some point I need to see if I can adust the optos just a bit higher up.

#10 10 years ago

I thought of this and removed the CLiffy, which I also installed. It made no difference. I agree that I think it is jumping the opto. There is no way to raise the opto I can see, though, because it is fixed in position through holes in the metal frame of the castle gate. I am going to experiment with bending the tip and see if it will prevent the jumping.

Regarding the Mirco playfield, I was pleased with it and there were only a couple of screw holes that were off just a bit, but was not a big deal at all. I do not yet know how it holds up. Boy it sure is fast, though, waxed, the ball just flies around, which may be part of the problem above.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

Regarding the Mirco playfield, I was pleased with it and there were only a couple of screw holes that were off just a bit, but was not a big deal at all. I do not yet know how it holds up. Boy it sure is fast, though, waxed, the ball just flies around, which may be part of the problem above.

That's what I heard. Thanks for confirming.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-castle-door-opto-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.