Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by whthrs166
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Ok, i am at a loss on this one. Recently have had the issue where the game will think the ball has ended while still in play. I have checked all of the trough optos several times over and all function correctly. Not sure what is going on, as it think s the ball is in the trough and will then kick out two balls.

#2 2 years ago

Only four balls in the game ? Not 5 ? Or three and one stuck somewhere ?

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Ok, i am at a loss on this one. Recently have had the issue where the game will think the ball has ended while still in play. I have checked all of the trough optos several times over and all function correctly. Not sure what is going on, as it think s the ball is in the trough and will then kick out two balls.

It still sounds like a jam opto problem or a connector problem. Could you have a bad solder point or intermittent opto problem?

#4 2 years ago

i think its the trough, just watched the balls ans they arent going all the way to the end

#5 2 years ago

When i bought it it had one of those plastic pieces in the trough, but it doesnt appear to be working any more.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

i think its the trough, just watched the balls ans they arent going all the way to the end

Magnetized ?

Or divots on the bottom of the V where they roll - if so, remove the ball trough, coil end and opto boards. Big flat bastard file in the open end and go to town, file those divots smooth.

2 weeks later
#7 2 years ago

Ok here's the update. Bought new trough and optos and installed. Still getting same issue where game will just end in the middle of the ball. Any more ideas?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Still getting same issue where game will just end in the middle of the ball. Any more ideas?

Quoted from LTG:

Magnetized ?

Or divots on the bottom of the V where they roll

Are the balls magnetized ?

#9 2 years ago

Changed balls out and still the same result. The game will just end. Checked all the new optics and all work perfect.

#10 2 years ago

Also just for reference I was watching the trough the whole time while buddy played and balls never got stuck or moved. Game would just end if no apparent reason ( as in it thinks the ball drained).

#11 2 years ago

bump for some help!

#12 2 years ago

Switch matrix issue ? Triggering the last opto in the ball trough, switch wired wrong, short to switch wiring, diode on backwards.

If you worked on the machine and this started, I'd check that first. If not and it started on it's own, I'd check ramp switches that balls could hit the wiring on first.

#13 2 years ago

Like LTG said, check the ball trough for divots by observing if all the balls in the trough move when the trough popper ejects into the shooter lane.
If the balls are hanging up, then roll down during a ball in play, could make the machine think the ball ended.

#14 2 years ago

I see you observed the trough already.
Sorry.
Like LTG said...probably a switch matrix (likely a switch diode) problem. Take off glass, start a game and see if a certain switch is causing the end-of-ball.

#15 2 years ago

I had to put some washers under one end of mine to give the balls a better angle to get all the way down. And there was some type of forked mod for those troughs that just slid in and spring clamped to the bottom. That also was part of the cure because of uneven spots and divits on the edges of the center slot.

1 week later
#16 2 years ago

ok, heres the latest. I have replaced the trough and put in new trough optos. Still getting the issue where it will end then kick out two balls. It seems like it has the be the 10 opto board under the playfield. Would this be my next option?

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Would this be my next option?

Some thoughts, may help.

Did you try a factory reset ? Made sure balls aren't magnetized ? Run through switch edge test and hit every switch and are sure the correct ones register on the DMD, to rule out switch matrix issues ?

#18 2 years ago

Another thing to check is the voltage levels at the test points on the board. Do you have a ColorDMD installed? That can cause the voltage to drop too much and then optos can act up.

#19 2 years ago

Thanks all! I will check everything when i get home. It has worked flawlessly for months and months and then just started to do this, so I figured it had to be trough or optos.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Do you have a ColorDMD installed?

If so, unplug the power connector to it and play a game blind. See if problem remains.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If so, unplug the power connector to it and play a game blind. See if problem remains.

To go even further, I would disconnect all mods that are electrical (shaker, lights, topper etc.). If that solves the problem you could start adding them back one-by-one until the problem comes back.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

I see you observed the trough already.
Sorry.
Like LTG said...probably a switch matrix (likely a switch diode) problem. Take off glass, start a game and see if a certain switch is causing the end-of-ball.

This sounds like a good idea, have you tried this yet forensicd?

#23 2 years ago

Got a buddy picking up a pin then will get on trying all of these.

4 months later
#24 1 year ago

I wanted to conclude this thread as i purchased the mentioned game from the OP. The issue was left loop switch 65#, cold solder on the white-green parallel joint. by moving playfield slightly in switch edge test, i was able to open the ball 4 trough circuit on the switch edge. hard to find but found. thank you all for the prior comments i used them to lead up to the final conclusion.

#25 1 year ago

Thanks for your post on conclusion. I have been following this thread (since I have a MM) from the start. What an amazing find and fix good job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clearwater, FL
€ 9.10
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 11.95
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.50
$ 87.00
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, TX
$ 89.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside