th-1.jpeg
VhHrB.gif
mm.JPG
ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg
image.jpg
MM_preorder.gif
trading_places_16.png
6c32af09627887804c6be5c49d9cadd67f4201.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WannaTheater.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#370 10 years ago

As I have been seriously researching an NBAFB conversion (i.e. having spent days going through the parts lists and identifying sources and costing for just about every single part), I would definitely be in for an AFM. I just hope if it happens, that greed doesn't take over. I hope that pricing will not be set by the perceived notion that everyone will pay 10K for an AFM. Hardcore collectors that want the best of-the-best and bragging rights will.

But why should these be priced even at 6K or 7K?? Here is my 2 cents: I am assuming these sold new in mid 90s for at MAX or 2-2.5K (just a guess). Are they that much MORE to manufacture now? The original WPC boards are not complex compared to what is being manufactured today, and I would assume that manufacturing costs are now lower. Has cabinet making, screen printing, injection molding, ball guide stamping/machining, and habitrail forming tripled in price since 1995? While skilled labor and engineering costs have increased, has it tripled? All of the engineering design work has been done. I don't believe that parts have tripled in price (at least not if purchased in large runs). Minimum wage has only increased by $3/hr since 1995.

In my ideal world: Materials + Labor + Overhead + Profit = Price. I just hope that "Profit" is not dictated by the small handful that will pay outrageous prices. While standard economics dictate that pricing is driven by supply and demand, one way to cut demand is to overprice.

My vote: 5K. You can get new Sterns for less than that. And I would think that provides a suitable profit margin for Planetary Pinball.

Regarding AFM- I am tired of reading about player-grade, faded machines with playfield wear being listed for 8K that would be "Great Candidates for Restoration." But hey, it has all new rubbers!! At 8K it should be flawless and restored. Not *blinged" with powdercoated screw heads and every mod known to man, but flawless. Otherwise I'll buy WoZ or a new Stern. Five years ago these were 3K machines. So I hope Planetary helps bring folks back to earth.

Regarding New vs. Original? Or even Converted vs. Original? I would take new any day of the week. Better manufacturing, better reliability, etc. Even the high-end reproductions are using new parts. I do not believe they are being delivering with yellowed plastics and ramps, faded stickers, faded cabinet decals with lock-bar holes drilled in the front of the cabinet. The difference between an MPU on 2 WPC pinball machines? A sticker that I can print on a laser printer. I guess I am not a "True Collector." I just want a machine that my family can play where the little green martians jiggle around for a fair price.

Either way, I am in- (depending on price )
Hopefully there will be some good news today.

#374 10 years ago

Thanks for the correction in my initial pricing guess- makes my final price estimate go up

.... the 5K was to be implanted subliminally in Planetary thinking.

#392 10 years ago

If any announcement is made, it will be interesting to see if people "hoard" this buying opportunity. Just like reproduced playfields- buy 'em with no intent of using them, then post them 6 months later at an increased cost just to turn a quick buck.

I hope not.

#427 10 years ago

Nothing about AFM?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WannaTheater.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-and-afm-remake?tu=WannaTheater and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.