• Latest reply 9 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0312.JPG
image-781.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smassa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No, they are like peanut butter, and a different brand of peanut butter. your getting the same shit twice with different label. Wouldn't want both in the same collection unless you have room for 400+ games.

And yet you have LOTR & TFLE in the same collection. How Ironic.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yea, but they have completely different rules. Not even close to the same style of rules. Unlike MM and AFM which is exactly the same rules and layout.

Sorry I just dont see them as having the same rules. MM is predicated on bashing the castle for scoring while in AFM there are many better scoring strategies to use instead of just blowing up saucers.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Really? You don't think they so very close at all? Layouts as well? They are closer in rules and layout even more so than Jackbot and Pinbot.
When I first started collecting, the 4 games I wanted was ES, TZ, TAF, and FH. Not knowing they were all designed by the same guy. After having them in a 5 pin collection, I realized that even those 4 felt to much like the same thing. They didn't even have the same layouts. But just the feel of all 4, wasn't that much diversity. so 2 of them had to go, even tho I liked all 4 of them. AFM and MM share about 87% more similarities than those 4 did with each other.

I said the rules. It's a fan layout by the same designer so yes they are similar but the rules are quite different IMO. TF n LOTR are the same layout only flipped but the rules are different. To me AFM n MM play quite different.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

...other than:
hurry ups at the saucer and castle
shooting each shoot 3 or 9 times
a ball lock for 3 ball multiball just left of the main bash toy
a mystery shot just right of the bash toy
destroying the main toy 5 or 6 times as part of the advancement to wizard mode
troll and martian modes are similar
mini wizard for making all shots ( TA, etc)
no real traditional modes
and probably a bunch more. They're very similar.
That being said, I like AFM a lot more, I feel like it's more balanced scoring wise. On MM it's just pound the castle I feel like most of the time to get a good score.

Multiball strategy in MM? Bash the castle. AFM multiball rules much better.

TA is much different then royal madness, and better.

RTU in how you get there is different then BFTK.

Combos in AFM and victory laps are sweet when u take them into MB.

Similar layout? Sure. Hardly the same rules though

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

Yea why would anyone own both of them? And have $15 grand wrapped up. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Maybe some aren't as concerned as others about how much they cost?

#64 9 years ago

Quoted from taylor34:I don't think anyone said they're exactly the same, but they're very similar (which makes sense, since MM was based upon AFM, that was the entire goal of the project according to interviews). As such they used a lot of the elements that made AFM so successful. It's not a bad thing at all, but to deny that they're not even close rules-wise is a bit of stretch in my opinion...MM is just an enhanced next level version of AFM's ruleset (which for some reason, I actually like less than AFM).

The only thing similar really is the shoot 3 shots to complete. But MM you can continue to shoot shots to build hurry ups (one of the few things I like on MM) but AFM has the 1bil hurry up so that kinda cancels it out. What is exactly the same on AFM and MM anyways? Rules wise that is:

Wizard mode different. Even how you get to it
Mini wizard mode different.
Multiball rules different.
One game has combos one doesn't

The only thing both games have are 3 inserts Infront of each shot but as stated before after you complete them both games act differently.

But if it makes everyone happy I'll agree that yes each main shot has 3 Inserts so they are exactly the same!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smassa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mm-and-afm-like-peanut-butter-jelly?tu=smassa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.