th2W4QJSU3 (resized).jpg
045C7165-B3A0-4D67-8F7E-BECBCA374C48 (resized).jpeg
9FD99526-A032-43C5-A46E-C7EA2C58D2BE (resized).jpeg
155BC371-965E-4D31-BE2B-150D1060443C (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
15385432610635324126060836592073 (resized).jpg
20181002_235958 (resized).jpg
TRIBE (resized).png
There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

The ball lands in the stands, it's a home run. In this case, the ball landed on the field of play, no home run. It's either an out or a double in this case, as Betts threw the ball in and Altuve was on second. Either way, the 'Stros only get one run there not 2. They lost by 2.

Yes they lost by 2 runs....and probably the right call and rule change that should happen is it should have been called a ground rule double. One run would have scored but it also would not have been an out and who knows if the Astros would have scored more runs or not.....water under the bridge at this point but a rule change to take the fans out of it and make it fair in these situations would be to make it a ground rule double.

Think if it had been a Boston fan that had interfered......how upset would people be.....reverse the scenario and what if this was a hit by the Red Sox.....the call would have hurt them. Just don’t understand why it would not be a ground rule double....end of story and move on. You can not definitively prove the ball would have been caught if there had been no interference. A rule change should be highly considered...and one thing to note is the one camera angle that might have shown if the ball was out of the field of play was blocked by a security guard....a lot of good that did.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

You can not definitively prove the ball would have been caught if there had been no interference.

It sucks yes and there was not enough evidence to overturn despite all of the tech they implemented.

Still a better system than when there was no replay and Jeff Maier reached out ONTO the field and turned Jeter's out into a home run. Or Chuck Knoblauch's phantom tag on the Sox in 1999 (still salty about that one). At least those days are gone.

This was a difficult call.
th2W4QJSU3 (resized).jpgth2W4QJSU3 (resized).jpg

thC6ZLHI0U (resized).jpgthC6ZLHI0U (resized).jpg
#203 5 years ago

MLB is happy.
1/2 major market match-up secured.

#204 5 years ago

This bullpenning approach seems to be an interesting approach for teams that don't have a three ace lineup, but I can see lots of issues with it as well. In the regular season, it's going to be pretty effective, but in a series, batters start to get more and more looks at every pitcher. Hitters always do better the more they see a pitcher. So with this crazy bullpenning stuff, the Dodgers are starting to key in better.

It's an interesting approach for smaller markets though. It's clearly going to shift the game, because the Brewers have gone far with it. If they beat the Dodgers, it's going to cause even more of a stir. But I can't see them beating the Red Sox lineup 4 out of 7 giving their batters so many repeated looks at the same pitchers.

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

This bullpenning approach seems to be an interesting approach for teams that don't have a three ace lineup, but I can see lots of issues with it as well. In the regular season, it's going to be pretty effective, but in a series, batters start to get more and more looks at every pitcher. Hitters always do better the more they see a pitcher. So with this crazy bullpenning stuff, the Dodgers are starting to key in better.
It's an interesting approach for smaller markets though. It's clearly going to shift the game, because the Brewers have gone far with it. If they beat the Dodgers, it's going to cause even more of a stir. But I can't see them beating the Red Sox lineup 4 out of 7 giving their batters so many repeated looks at the same pitchers.

It's not something they really wanted to do, it is just something they have had to resort to since they are not going to pay the going rate for quality starting pitching. That being said, I think Counsell has overthought this bullpen approach a bit too much this series. Miley and Chacin were cruising, but Counsell really dislikes a pitcher seeing a batter a 3rd time through the order because sabremetrics has that 3rd plate appearance .100 higher than the previous two appearances. So he quickly goes to the pen to bring in these guys. BUT.... this is the 3rd/4th time through seeing these guys for some of these batters in 3 days.

All that being said, pitching really hasn't been the problem this series for the Brewers. As quick as Counsell is to change pitchers, he is pretty reluctant to do the same with position players. Aguilar hasn't hit the side of a barn in almost a month, and Schoop hasn't seen a pitch he won't swing at, yet Counsell still feels obligated to throw them out there. On a team whose focus was getting offense, they have all but disappeared this series. The Brewers had September success because of the 40 man roster, that's a lot of chess pieces to play with. The 25 man roster they have right now really limits the options he has at his disposal.

#206 5 years ago

Amazing game last night, so much energy in the stadium. I wonder how much my ears were damaged...

Regardless of tonight's outcome, it's been an interesting season and a well played series. Attended spring training this year for the first time in over a decade and got to see meaningful games in October. My team has not been to the series since I was six. Maybe, just maybe.

I really hope Grandal starts tonight.

#207 5 years ago

Here we go for all the NL marbles - Game 7 baby!!!

#208 5 years ago

Really hope the Brewers
send those Dodgers home.
Love seeing the small market teams
take it to the big shooters.
From one Midwesterner to another.

#209 5 years ago

Dodgers bustin' it open now.

#210 5 years ago

Congrats to the repeating National League champion Los Angeles Dodgers!

Good luck against the Red Sox. I'm looking forward to a great Series!

#211 5 years ago

Hat's off to the Brewers for playing like they did and early in the series I thought they had good chance of winning it all. Dodgers had to fight tooth and nail to pull it off.

But with all the sports teams we have here, it would be nice to have at least one champion again. I won't hold me breath, but a couple of the football teams are starting to look like contenders too

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

... But with all the sports teams we have here, it would be nice to have at least one champion again. I won't hold me breath, but a couple of the football teams are starting to look like contenders too

Hmmm ... Dodgers in the World Series, Rams red hot in the NFL, and King James now playing for the Lakers ... could it be The Year of LA???!!!

naaah

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Hmmm ... Dodgers in the World Series, Rams red hot in the NFL, and King James now playing for the Lakers ... could it be The Year of LA???!!!

That's all good and well unless you are an Angels and Chargers fan . lol. But, at this point I'll take what I can get. Chargers lookin' good though.

#214 5 years ago

Oddly quite around here.

Great run for the Brewers! Looking forward to what should be a very entertaining WS with the two best teams this year!

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Oddly quite around here.

It's really windy and difficult to post standing out here on the edge of this bridge.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

It's really windy and difficult to post standing out here on the edge of this bridge.

Lol

Don't jump, brewers are gonna be good forthe next few years.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Oddly quite around here.

Lets liven up the place a bit then.

source.gifsource.gif
#218 5 years ago

Helluva series w the dodgers/brewers..I was watching the game w my father in law, and told him that Yelich was due..sure enough he hits a hr on the next pitch. So glad that Puig took it outta the park when he did. 4 more wins to go!!

#219 5 years ago

Beantown vs La La Land

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Beantown vs La La Land

I dislike the Sox, but their bats are hot right now. Even though I want dodgers to take it... I’m calling Bostie on this one

#221 5 years ago

Beat LA Beat LA! Seriously though, this should be an awesome series.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Beat LA Beat LA! Seriously though, this should be an awesome series.

You guys don't have Babe Ruth this time! Heard your team sold him to the Yankees. lol

#223 5 years ago

I'm still pretty bummed, but that was a pretty incredible season. I actually expected to make the playoffs, but I didn't expect to be able to fight our way to gm7 of the NLCS. It was cool to see the new talent we brought in play so well. There's a lot of positives to take into next season.

This WS will be a tough watch for me, the personalities of Puig and Machado have really worn thin for me after this series, and I'm just not a fan of Boston sports.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

This WS will be a tough watch for me, the personalities of Puig and Machado have really worn thin for me after this series

Puig, has at times, worn thin in L.A. also.
Abrasive personality.

#225 5 years ago

I'm less bothered by a guy acting excited and fired up than I was by the constant calls for reviews and allegations of cheating by the Brewers. Counsell acted like a bit of a baby the entire series. To quote Michael Wilbon, "shut up and play baseball."

#226 5 years ago

It was a good run. I don't disagree that the best two teams made it to the end, but it's just less fun. Obviously, I'm a Brewers fan, but if they weren't in it I'd still be rooting for those underdog teams. Not sure who I'm rooting for at this point.

PS: I didn't make it to many games this year, but I made it to the last one.

6302 (resized).jpeg6302 (resized).jpeg

#227 5 years ago

I still feel gross.... But that's what it's like being a Brewers fan. lol

#228 5 years ago

Machado is a punk. I've felt that way since he tossed his bat a few years ago. Him kicking Aguilar at first, may have even been worse in some ways. With the bat toss, it was a retaliation for getting thrown at. The kick was him just being a dick. I don't mind having villains in baseball, but I wish they were more playful, like Puig. Not violent, like Machado. He is going to get someone hurt.

With that all said, Brewer fans also need to keep it in perspective. We were cheering for Gomez a few years back. He was a punk too. Most of the example I remember were him running his mouth. They can be fun to root for or against.

#229 5 years ago

Machado is a bit of a punk, but I don’t question his will to win. Puig has matured a lil, I just luv his weird childish enthusiasm..who licks a bat nowadays? Congrats to brewers fans-you had a helluva year..Yelich will be an all star for years, your pen is solid..

#230 5 years ago

I've been rooting a bit for the Sox. They've had the best record in baseball and are playing like they know it.

However, I see the Dodgers have Brian Dozier leading off tonight. He's one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Needless to say, he had his best year ever with the Twins a couple years ago and hasn't done all that well since. I'd love to see him do well just to show the Twins what they gave up.

#231 5 years ago

The Dodgers would have won except for two pop ups that they somehow couldn't corral. 5 or 6 of the Red Sox runs came as a direct result of those 2 stinking pop ups that they either lost in the lights or just plain misjudged.

Why Baez was taken out after he looked so good striking out his first two batters he faced is baffling. WTF Dave Roberts.

Well at least I won't have to see the rest of the carnage as I leave for the Phillipines tomorrow on a 16 hour flight with a 15 month old and will be gone for 16 days. 16 hour flight on a plane with seating for short people, and my 6' 6" frame. Awesome.

#232 5 years ago

My sympathies - commercial flying SUCKS. Safe traveling!

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The Dodgers would have won except for two pop ups that they somehow couldn't corral. 5 or 6 of the Red Sox runs came as a direct result of those 2 stinking pop ups that they either lost in the lights or just plain misjudged. Why Baez was taken out after he looked so good striking out his first two batters he faced is baffling. WTF Dave Roberts. Well at least I won't have to see the rest of the carnage as I leave for the Phillipines tomorrow on a 16 hour flight with a 15 month old and will be gone for 16 days. 16 hour flight on a plane with seating for short people, and my 6' 6" frame. Awesome.

Wow that is an incredible amount of information for one paragraph.

#234 5 years ago

Best part for me last night- listening to Buck Martinez instead of Joe Buck!

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

OMG YES!! And I don't miss those crappy TBS announcers much either...

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

OMG YES!! And I don't miss those crappy TBS announcers much either...

Brian Andersen is our local Brewer announcer, he is pretty good. I can see him moving on to the national scene full time like Matt Vaskersian(sp?) did awhile back. Ron Darling (Jason Segel) is just okay to me, I could take him or leave him.

My favorite TV announcer (by a country mile) is John Smoltz. At times he is almost like a baseball clairvoyant.

#237 5 years ago

I really like Brian Andersen. He definitely has the talent to go on to the national stage (more than he does now), but I think he likes the flexibility we offer. Attanasio allows him to go off and do other gigs (like the NCAA tourney) without much trouble. He seems to really like WI, and has really come into his own.

#238 5 years ago

I really like Shulman..he knows his shit and just has a good tv voice..I think he normally does Sunday nite baseball...

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

LOL!

Fox really thinks they have the winning NFL announcer team with Aikman and Buck. Sorry to burst your bubble guys....

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

LOL!
Fox really thinks they have the winning NFL announcer team with Aikman and Buck. Sorry to burst your bubble guys....

Joe Buck rides his fathers coattails. Always has.
+ He's about as drab and stale as a year old box of soda crackers.

#241 5 years ago

Remember when Joe Garagiola did TWIB years ago? Those were the good ol days back then..who didn’t like ‘the kissing bandit ‘ and her big...hair..

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Remember when Joe Garagiola did TWIB years ago? Those were the good ol days back then..who didn’t like ‘the kissing bandit ‘ and her big...hair..

Those were the days!
Still remember Mel Allen's lead-in... "I'm Mel Allen and this is This Week in Baseball
Every Saturday. Loved it!
The closing theme music still plays in my head.
Those were the days alright.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Remember when Joe Garagiola did TWIB years ago?

I honestly don't remember that. Might have been before my time.

But I do remember when he hosted the game show "Sale Of The Century".
gettyimages-517444476-1024x1024 (resized).jpggettyimages-517444476-1024x1024 (resized).jpg

#244 5 years ago

Must win for the boys in blue 2nite...please don’t put in Madson!!

41F2729E-FAAC-438B-9B39-202BA832726F (resized).png41F2729E-FAAC-438B-9B39-202BA832726F (resized).png
#245 5 years ago

Will Chavez Ravine prove friendly tonight?
Only time will tell.
Lookin' forward!

#246 5 years ago

the worst part of the brewers not making the WS is that we don't get to see that chick with the nice boobs behind home plate anymore......

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

the worst part of the brewers not making the WS is that we don't get to see that chick with the nice boobs behind home plate anymore......

Well, if you are going to make payments on them, you gotta find some way to pay for them....
http://www.frontrowamy.com

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Well, if you are going to make payments on them, you gotta find some way to pay for them....
http://www.frontrowamy.com

wow..... i had no idea that was a thing. that might be the saddest thing ever..... is this what happens when you tell your kid they can grow up to be anything?

#249 5 years ago

Did l.a. install new sod right before the game? that field is a joke

#250 5 years ago

6 hours 25 minutes later bottom of the 15th longest game in WS history, and still not over what a great game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mlb-2018-play-ball/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.