(Topic ID: 199020)

MLB 2017 playoffs - the Astros are champs!

By Tuna_Delight

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5EC49316-FB0F-4ACB-A13C-58A711237D7F (resized).png
    image-picsay (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    Minute Maid Stadium (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    GoDodgers-752x440 (resized).jpg
    ScreenShot2013-10-16at10.13.28AM_crop_exact (resized).png
    33 (resized).jpg
    620011 (resized).jpg
    Tumbleweed (resized).jpg
    ZomboMeme 19102017201208 (resized).jpg
    Lasorda Tom 51.82 NBL (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Cub fury (resized).jpg
    picard-facepalm (resized).jpg
    lol (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

Go Cubs Go!!!

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Hockey over baseball PLAYOFFS?! You must be a transplanted Canadian.

The fact that no team gets a bye was a dead giveaway lol

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rabbit:

Go tribe! This is the year.

I'm pretty certain last year was there too though lol. The rain delay saved the cubs. I'm a huge cubs fan but no way we should have came back and won that one

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Not Canadian but yes Hockey is a much better game especially the playoffs.

I don't know much about hockey but last years mlb playoffs were about as good as it gets. Not just because I'm a cubs fan. All those come backs and games 7s were pretty awesome

1 week later
    #102 6 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Really looking forward to the Yanks and Indians game tonight. I bet just about everybody is rooting for the Indians unless you are a Yankees fan, like myself. What a story CC has been this year, I love that guy.

Yeah.... I’m a cubs fan and I’m totally rooting for the Yankees. I mean no offense, but if the cubs had to play one of the two I would much rather play the yanks than the Indians. Just saying. I’d actually imagine everyone that isn’t an Indians fan is rooting for the Yankees

#119 6 years ago

Shew that was nerve wracking. You couldn’t ask for a better game

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

We might see a throwback World Series between the Dodgers and Yankees. Which present player on the Yankees would play the villain?

In the scenario you have explained the Dodgers are clearly the new villain. Just saying.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Why, the yankees have always had the controversies throughout the years.

The Yankees were the evil empire because of how much money they spent on their roster. I mean A-Rod was controversial I guess in 09. You can’t even say guys like Clemens and Petitte at this point cause everyone in the early 2000s was a juicer lol. I am no Yankees fan by any means but they are being carried by Judge and Sanchez. Those guys are making 500K a year and are homegrown players

The dodgers have the biggest payroll in baseball. They are now the team people love to hate

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I was thinking more in terms of dirty actions. The yankees were infamous for doing somewhat questionable things in games such as Reggie Jackson blocking a throw to first intentionally in the world series and the George Brett pine tar incident just to name a couple.

Lol I got ya. I guess it would be a wash honestly. A Dodgers/yankees series would include the two dirtiest players in the game. Holliday and Utley lol.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Unfortunately, the Cubs' relievers appear to need much more than that this year. Not a good situation to say the least.

Still a lot of games left to be played but it sure seems like they all fell apart lol. Something in the back of my mind told me rondon would give up a bomb to the first batter he faced. You have to figure when you drive Kershaw out after 5 you’re getting a win. That’s why they play the games I guess

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I have a lot of respect for Joe Maddon as a manager, but I really question the way he’s handled his pitching staff this postseason. Bringing in Lackey last night when he’s never pitched in back to back games did not seem like a smart move, he should’ve used one of his regular relievers. I also question using Lester out of the bullpen in the first series, they’re going to need quality starts out of him in the NLCS and WS to have a chance and he’s got to be running on fumes at this point of the season. They’re really missing the light’s-out closer they had in Chapman last year.

Sorry but Davis > Chapman

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Some would say the Cubs didn't have "it" last year either. Took them seven games to beat an Indians team playing with house money (kinda like the Yankees this year) and missing their two aces.
    Seriously, take Lester and Hendricks away from the Cubs this season (or better yet, Arrieta and Hendricks last season) and they wouldn't have even made the playoffs.
    2016 was an off year for baseball.

Bitter White Sox fan? I didn't cry this much when the Sox lucked into one in 05 lol. Take Mark Buehrle and Paul Konerko off of that 05 team and the White Sox don't make the playoffs. But I guess 05 was a bad year for baseball.

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Now you all understand the point I was trying to make. The Indians we're playing on borrowed time, and it took the Cubs seven games (and extra innings!) to beat them.
    The White Sox did it in 12 games...total! You'll never see a more dominant performance by a team again, or at least not for a VERY long time.

Odds are you are right. I will never again see the White Sox win a World Series lol

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I take it reading isn't one of your strengths.

Notice the part where I say, "a team", not "the White Sox".

I read exceptionally well actually. Thanks. I felt I would correct your statement. The White Sox are not going to win another World Series.

And saying you’re bitter is not name calling if you are actually being bitter lol

Actually this is all pointless. I love the cubs but they are up against the wall and may be heading home tonight. The White Sox were never even in it so there was no real point in them even being brought up. It’s a playoff thread wth all the argument coming from a team that is almost out and a team that lives in the cellar. I’m out.

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I've been a lifelong Dodgers fan. I still remember sitting in my living room with a plastic batter's helmet with the LA logo watching Kirk Gibson go yard and limp around the bases. I jumped up and ran down the hall and back with the hat falling off at some point. It's been a long, long time since then. My oldest son is now older than I was when that happened.
    Please, Dodgers...let's end the drought.

That is an iconic moment in baseball history. I still remember the first homer I hit in little league I pumped my fist rounding first cause I thought that was so cool lol.

#200 6 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

.let's not forget that impressive bullpen too

This line is no joke. Talk about shut down.

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, but they did already save face by not getting swept.

I am still hoping they come back and win it but you’re right. Being swept always stings more. I hated 07 and 08. Great seasons that ended sour with a sweep.

That being said... if this cubs team were to by the grace of god complete a down 3-0 comeback can we go ahead and put Theo Epstein in the hall as the greatest baseball executive of all time??? I mean personally I think he already deserves that but the 3-0 comeback..... twice.... seriously?!?!?!? Wouldn’t that be something to talk about. Lol

#209 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How great the Dodgers are and have been playing, in the world of sports, nothing would surprise me any more.

No joke man. I honestly think the mlb playoff keep getting better every year. Nothing is surprising.

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

You sure that's not Wrigley Field? Place is about as loud as a funeral home right now.
    What great "fans".

I can’t hear anything over the sound of you still crying about that 67 win season. You guys can’t even lose right. Tigers got the top pick

#219 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I cheer for two teams:
    The White Sox and anyone playing the Cubs.

So basically you get to cheer for anyone playing the cubs because I’ve seen the Sox and there is no point cheering for them

#231 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

just rumors surrounding expansion, elimination of Al/NL, and a new structure
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/19/major-league-baseball-expansion-proposal-realignment
    aweful idea IMHO

Agreed I’m also now keen on expanding to 32 teams. It further diluted the talent pool. I think the game is flooded with talented players now but pitching is a premium. Two extra teams would thin out pitching staffs

#233 6 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Ok read most all of that article.
    It reminds me of when, as a kid, I would play "Commissioner for a Day".
    I would align the league's as I saw fit as well as declare the DH dead and buried.
    I also would sketch out ball park designs
    for my club's to play in.
    So as a kid I let my imagination run wild as has this guy. Wild realignment, horrible schedule,
    and the demise of the AL and NL is
    laughable!
    Oh well, a guy can dream can't he?
    Yeah, well this guy sure is!!!

From everything I have read it sounds like expansion to 32 is not too far off. It will require some sort of realignment. I am just now used to this realignment lol

#264 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is shaping up to be the best world series in a long time. Last game I remember like that one was game two of the Angels/Giants series.

Game seven of last years World Series was the best game ever!!!!!!!

But I am a cubs fan lol.

#268 6 years ago

I could not care less who wins the World Series at this point but last night was so good for baseball. That’s what people want to see. Back and forth. Drama. And then you get bonus baseball on top of it. Hats off to both teams

#272 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

The Cubs were one well-timed rain delay away from being without a championship for 11 decades.

Yes they planned the rain delay lol. Last time I checked the cubs and the White Sox both sat at one World Series title a piece in the last 100 years lol. I like the cubs chances of getting another in the near future more than the Sox. Sorry

#275 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I wouldn't be too sure of that.
    Arrieta - gone
    Bryant - tired
    Russell/Rizzo/Baez - still trying to remove whatever it was they were choking on during the playoffs
    Lester - bad
    Lackey - gone
    Quintana - bad
    Zobrist - bad
    Only reason you got into the postseason is because you play in the NL Central (REAL bad).
    Sox have a solid, young group of guys coming up. Should be interesting.

You’re delusional lol. Jon Lester has won more playoff games than the Sox will win in the next decade. He would be your ace. Quintana was shaky all year, oh wait he was your ace. Zobrist is a proven winner. The Sox don’t have a player that could hold a light to Bryant. Rizzo > Abreu. Our backup second baseman (Baez) is better than your shortstop. And I’m sure Theo will replace the players leaving... he’s always does. If you were going to talk trash you could have mentioned the bad players at least. I mean we do have Jason Heyward lol.

The difference between the cubs and the “solid, young group of guys coming up” is that the cubs young players have already proven it. Prospects bust daily. We have all seen it. The Sox would be lucky to hit on half of those guys. I guess only time will tell but I’ll stick with the cubs core over the unproven assets of the White Sox .

#277 6 years ago

I guess that’s all I could say too if I were you.

Have fun watching the cubs in the post season for the next decade

#297 6 years ago

Morrow has thrown every day it seems like. It was bound to catch up

#301 6 years ago

That inning is on Dave Roberts imo. Morrow was way overused. You could tell from the first pitch he had nothing

#305 6 years ago

They should suspend Gurriel 5 games for that awful haircut lol

#329 6 years ago

Both teams use the same ball. I dont see how it helps one team or the other. Dodger pen is wore out.

#332 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

pretty simple that a slicker ball is going to impact control pitches more.
    Changing the ball at all is just stupid. It would be like saying that a different football wont impact a pass team differently then a run team.
    I also am over the bad umps. This year has brought it to a head that they are old, inaccurate, and inconsistent. Time to let technology assist. At minimum, UMPs should be scored and paid based on accuracy/consistency. The technology is good enough to score them all.

I understand what you are saying and you are right that the ball should not have been changed at all. That being said both teams have to throw the same ball. Wouldn't it mean that the Astros "non-control" pitchers would have a harder time throwing strikes? Those are all excuses in my opinion. The Dodger pen has been overused and they are paying for it. Just my opinion though. I am not a fan of either team and it really doesnt matter to me who wins.

#345 6 years ago

I totally agree that they should not have changed the ball between series. I cannot however take away the fact that guys in the dodger pen like Morrow have been way overused in this post season and that has to play a part in their downfall as well. I’m not blaming it on the ball that’s all.

Last night they kept lobbing in beach balls. Beach balls get hit hard. It happens.

#348 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Putting Morrow in felt like a series-losing decision. I just wonder if he felt like he had no other choice. Can't put in a breaking ball thrower, so he hoped Morrow could throw enough heat to get enough outs. Obviously it was an extremely bad calculation.

It just looks like him and Jansen (arguably two of the best relievers in the game this year ((scratch that... Jansen is the best... hands down)) are just worn out. I could be wrong. They are going to need them both tomorrow probably.

#362 6 years ago

Looked like it effected McCullers more if anything. He hit four batters. The dodgers had a ton of chances early on and let them all fade away.

But to second your opinion Dave Roberts has Way over managed this post season in my opinion.

#365 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I feel bad for Darvish though. He's a fantastic pitcher and of course he's going to believe in himself. But the reality is that he shouldn't have been out there at all.

Maybe he lowered his price tag to sign with the cubs next year. I’d love to have him.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mlb-2017-playoffs-who-will-be-champs?tu=jmountjoy111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.