(Topic ID: 199020)

MLB 2017 playoffs - the Astros are champs!

By Tuna_Delight

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5EC49316-FB0F-4ACB-A13C-58A711237D7F (resized).png
    image-picsay (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    Minute Maid Stadium (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    GoDodgers-752x440 (resized).jpg
    ScreenShot2013-10-16at10.13.28AM_crop_exact (resized).png
    33 (resized).jpg
    620011 (resized).jpg
    Tumbleweed (resized).jpg
    ZomboMeme 19102017201208 (resized).jpg
    Lasorda Tom 51.82 NBL (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Cub fury (resized).jpg
    picard-facepalm (resized).jpg
    lol (resized).JPG
    There are 373 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
    #201 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

The Cubs don't have the pitching staff to win 4 straight. They're way too vulnerable in late innings and are due to get lit up every 2nd or 3rd game. At this point, they're just dragging it out. I guess it's admirable to fight, but it's time to pack up and go home.

Are you suggesting the Cubs should just throw in the towel?!

#202 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

No team should ever quit. That's wrong. That's unsporting...but I want them to find a way to not win. Haha.

I don't dislike the Cubs. I was very happy for them last year. They just aren't built right to go to and win the World Series this season. It's obviously on the Dodgers to knock 'em out, but the sooner the better.

#203 6 years ago

I always thought these playoffs were 5 game series except for the WS which is 7.

#204 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I don't dislike the Cubs. I was very happy for them last year. They just aren't built right to go to and win the World Series this season. It's obviously on the Dodgers to knock 'em out, but the sooner the better.

As they say: "That's why they play the game."

The Dodgers are gonna have to earn it.

#205 6 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I always thought these playoffs were 5 game series except for the WS which is 7.

Used to be this way before the introduction of the Divisional Championship series. Now the League Championship series are 7 games like the World Series.

#206 6 years ago

No, but they did already save face by not getting swept.

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, but they did already save face by not getting swept.

I am still hoping they come back and win it but you’re right. Being swept always stings more. I hated 07 and 08. Great seasons that ended sour with a sweep.

That being said... if this cubs team were to by the grace of god complete a down 3-0 comeback can we go ahead and put Theo Epstein in the hall as the greatest baseball executive of all time??? I mean personally I think he already deserves that but the 3-0 comeback..... twice.... seriously?!?!?!? Wouldn’t that be something to talk about. Lol

#208 6 years ago

How great the Dodgers are and have been playing, in the world of sports, nothing would surprise me any more.

#209 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How great the Dodgers are and have been playing, in the world of sports, nothing would surprise me any more.

No joke man. I honestly think the mlb playoff keep getting better every year. Nothing is surprising.

#210 6 years ago

Not looking good for the Cubbies.

#211 6 years ago

7 run lead for Kershaw...close the door, turn out the lights.

#212 6 years ago

ZomboMeme 19102017201208 (resized).jpgZomboMeme 19102017201208 (resized).jpg

#213 6 years ago

It's looking like the question this thread title asked may have already been answered.

Quoted from o-din:

It's pretty obvious the Dodgers have been the best overall team this year with the best record in baseball.

But they don't hand out trophies for pure speculation, so I'll just leave it at that.

Quoted from o-din:

Yankees-Dodgers could be epic.

#214 6 years ago

Live look at White Sox Central:

Tumbleweed (resized).jpgTumbleweed (resized).jpg

#215 6 years ago

Live look at White Sox Central:

You sure that's not Wrigley Field? Place is about as loud as a funeral home right now.

What great "fans".

#216 6 years ago

Meanwhile in Dodgers land..

620011 (resized).jpg620011 (resized).jpg

ScreenShot2013-10-16at10.13.28AM_crop_exact (resized).pngScreenShot2013-10-16at10.13.28AM_crop_exact (resized).png

33 (resized).jpg33 (resized).jpg

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

You sure that's not Wrigley Field? Place is about as loud as a funeral home right now.
    What great "fans".

I can’t hear anything over the sound of you still crying about that 67 win season. You guys can’t even lose right. Tigers got the top pick

#218 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I can’t hear anything over the sound of you still crying about that 67 win season. You guys can’t even lose right. Tigers got the top pick

I cheer for two teams:

The White Sox and anyone playing the Cubs.

#219 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I cheer for two teams:
    The White Sox and anyone playing the Cubs.

So basically you get to cheer for anyone playing the cubs because I’ve seen the Sox and there is no point cheering for them

#220 6 years ago

Congratulations to the new National League champion Dodgers and good luck to them in the World Series!

#221 6 years ago

GoDodgers-752x440 (resized).jpgGoDodgers-752x440 (resized).jpg

#222 6 years ago

#223 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

What great "fans".

C'Mon really?
    ANY home town crowd goes silent as their hopes and the fortunes of their team fade away into the reality of defeat.
    You gotta' do better than that petty argument.

#224 6 years ago

My dad called a few seconds after the final out. He's looking for game and airfare tickets. I may be heading to LA for a game or two.

#225 6 years ago

It's times like these I wish Vin Scully was still in the game and maybe he retired a year too early. I'm sure he won't miss it though.

#226 6 years ago

it was a fun run, esp when everyone did not even give them a chance at the all star break.

3 years in a row of seeing October is hella fun!

See you all next year. (hoping realingment does not happen)

#227 6 years ago

The Dodgers left no doubt they were the best team in the NL this year, we’ll see whether they’re the best team in MLB. Houston and NY both have good teams, should be a good WS.

#228 6 years ago

The Yanks still need to win a game in Houston. The AL series is not over yet.

I remember the '77 Yankees/ Dodgers series.

giphy (resized).pnggiphy (resized).png

#229 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

See you all next year. (hoping realingment does not happen)

Realignment?
    What realignment?
    Have you heard something?
    In the dark on this one.

#230 6 years ago

just rumors surrounding expansion, elimination of Al/NL, and a new structure

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/19/major-league-baseball-expansion-proposal-realignment

aweful idea IMHO

#231 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/19/major-league-baseball-expansion-proposal-realignment
    aweful idea IMHO

Agreed I’m also now keen on expanding to 32 teams. It further diluted the talent pool. I think the game is flooded with talented players now but pitching is a premium. Two extra teams would thin out pitching staffs

#232 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

aweful idea IMHO

Ok read most all of that article.
    It reminds me of when, as a kid, I would play "Commissioner for a Day".
    I would align the league's as I saw fit as well as declare the DH dead and buried.
    I also would sketch out ball park designs
    for my club's to play in.
    So as a kid I let my imagination run wild as has this guy. Wild realignment, horrible schedule,
    and the demise of the AL and NL is
    laughable!
    Oh well, a guy can dream can't he?
    Yeah, well this guy sure is!!!

#233 6 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Ok read most all of that article.
    It reminds me of when, as a kid, I would play "Commissioner for a Day".
    I would align the league's as I saw fit as well as declare the DH dead and buried.
    I also would sketch out ball park designs
    for my club's to play in.
    So as a kid I let my imagination run wild as has this guy. Wild realignment, horrible schedule,
    and the demise of the AL and NL is
    laughable!
    Oh well, a guy can dream can't he?
    Yeah, well this guy sure is!!!

From everything I have read it sounds like expansion to 32 is not too far off. It will require some sort of realignment. I am just now used to this realignment lol

#234 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

From everything I have read it sounds like expansion to 32 is not too far off. It will require some sort of realignment. I am just now used to this realignment lol

Expansion is one thing.
    What the writer promotes is pretty f a r fetched.

Thanks to Whysnow for the link.

Anyway, Go 'Stros!!

#235 6 years ago

I hadn't heard about expansion or re-alignment either. I can't believe they are considering having another team in Montreal. I went to an Expos game in their second to the last year in Montreal and there were less than 5,000 in attendance. Olympic Stadium is horrible for baseball games: the seats are cheap plastic and far from the field. The roof is too low (Vladimir Guerrero hit the roof in the last game I saw there). It's amazing how poor that stadium is considering it cost $1 billion. Portland is a small market but they support the Trail Blazers.

I hate that realignment scenario. Eliminating the AL and NL takes away over 100 years of history. I am not a fan of interleague play but the genie is out of the bottle on that one. They would need to add one team in order to eliminate interleague play anyway, or back to 14 teams in one league and 16 in the other. I did not read the entire article so I am not sure how the playoffs would be set up to figure out who goes to the World Series. I do like the idea of shortening the season but I doubt the owners would give up the revenue.

#236 6 years ago

Just one writer's scenario.
    MLB will not return to Montreal. And Portland is simply too small. MLB has a considerable amount of small market teams already.
    Why add another? Or two??

#237 6 years ago

Best game in sports:
    Game 7

#238 6 years ago

Congrats to the Astro's
    Gonna be a kickass world series!!

#239 6 years ago

This is gonna be a great ws, and the two teams i thought would be there. Sad no cubs, but if there were two other teams i wanted to see this year...

#240 6 years ago

'Stros as AL resentative for first time.
    Unbeatable at home.
    Altuve is out of control!
    And Verlander? Pitching like a master.
    Kershaw in the spotlight.
    Can he solidify his spot
    as one of the all-time greats?
    He'll need a championship to rise to that status.
    Could be one for the ages!
    Settle in and enjoy.

#241 6 years ago

I know that the Astros have played in the AL since 2013, but this World Series matchup still feels a little weird to me as they were in the same division with the Dodgers for so many years beforehand.

#242 6 years ago

I know that the Astros have played in the AL since 2013, but this World Series matchup still feels a little weird to me as they were in the same division with the Dodgers for so many years beforehand.

Agreed. It feels very similar to the Seahawks being in the NFC after being in the AFC for so long.

#243 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This is gonna be a great ws, and the two teams i thought would be there. Sad no cubs, but if there were two other teams i wanted to see this year...

The #2 seed in the AL and the #1 seed in the NL. You really went out on a limb there, didn't ya?

#244 6 years ago

As a Dodger fan, I obviously want the Dodgers to win. But more than anything, I want the Dodgers to light the Astros up on their own home field as punishment for that ridiculous outfield.

#245 6 years ago

Hmmm ...

Minute Maid Stadium (resized).jpgMinute Maid Stadium (resized).jpg

#246 6 years ago

The hill is gone now, thank goodness, but that shortened left field is still nutty.

#247 6 years ago

Does pitching(astros) beat hitting(dodgers)??

#248 6 years ago

I'm actually more worried about the Astros' hitters than their pitchers. Eventually the Dodgers beat up on a bullpen, but man, there are some fantastic hitters on the Astros lineup that can just bury you. Altuve is such a fantastic player. He's easily the MVP in my eyes.

#249 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Does pitching(astros) beat hitting(dodgers)??

Not tonight. Game 1 to the Dodgers.

#250 6 years ago

1 down, 3 to go. Verlander will be the toughest one to beat. If we can get game two with him on the mound, we'll be in great shape.

There are 373 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mlb-2017-playoffs-who-will-be-champs/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.