DSCN7722 (resized).JPG
DSCN8459 (resized).JPG
DSCN8453 (resized).JPG
DSCN8458 (resized).JPG
DSCN8456 (resized).JPG
DSCN8457 (resized).JPG
DSCN8455 (resized).JPG
DSCN8451 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Haven't decided yet, but given I'm making 25 and they are all (strongly) spoken for, I was thinking $ 25 per apron...$625 total. Too high?...too low? I'd listen to ideas...
Despite some of the people on this place, I consider it my only other true hobby besides the pins themselves. It's been a cornerstone for me since joining.
I'm announcing through the site, so robin more than deserves something IMHO...

Very stand up thing to do! Actually talked to Robin about this recently with several 100k++ mod sellers using the resources of Pinside but not sharing the value of sales to this great site. Can't wait to see the finished product and strongly suggest considering More units as this is sounding great.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

You want me to post my BOM so you can verify I'm telling the truth, or show what you're doing is cheaper? Maybe like when averell ( a great Alien supporter btw) did the acrylic speaker kits, and you promptly slammed his approach, then making your own.
I will post tonight the things I had promised and can share to date, total price of the apron and including a list of interested Pinsiders, in the order received. Felix, you have no worries, you're name will not be on it.
Ridiculous and offensive. Good luck with whatever you are doing. I've got no part in it......unbelievable.....

You stay the coarse you have Nothing to prove or justify to Anyone. Yeshh.

1 week later
#145 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Still targeting end of week. That's going to depend on the metal finish guy. Finish is a very cool black metal oxide w slight sheen to it. Trying to get him to hit 2 aprons with it (he wanted to do all 25 at once, but they won't be done by week's end), so you get a better idea what it looks like. The frosted acrylics will have no art and reveal version done. Mock harness w strobe, other lighting done.
Believe my anticipated ship date on these things is still way doable by 1st, 2nd week of October, as originally planned.

By the sounds of your effort and creative touches this is sounding amazing. I would bet painting 50 would dry faster! Lol. Keep an open mind doing a second run as I suspect this creation will get some serious interest. Congrats and job well done.

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Lol, not so sure....these guys are not pinheads for sure (machinists), and kind of dread seeing me come in the shop lately...
I keep telling them "you said you'd do 25 of these for me"...they sort of huff and nod their heads
The Alien art gets weird stares (too funny)
Lior and kneissl definitely are, however....keeps me grounded

Understood most shops cringe on low volume art type work. Should you run into a road block feel free to reach out for support. I have several fab shops in the Asheville area with laser/waterjet that could assist in your project. Good luck.

2 months later
#184 3 years ago

Did this stall?? I can still help you with a Speedier fabrication company if your interested in your area.

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Nothing has stalled. The second comment sort of represents why I chose to not share the early part of the journey in the thread.
This was never about a competion (as I'm not competing), or "another apron" or whatever, rather what I was finally able to get built and be able to share with a few in the community. There is no other apron for me, this is what was going to happen and be built, regardless.
It quickly turned toxic for me to post regular updates here, and chose instead to post to a private owners group, who has been fiscally committed since day 1 (many have paid in full). The vast majority reached to me to secure their spot. Is what it is. There, I can post, get constructive input, and avoid the nonsense I knew would come by throwing it out here in the early stages.
These are sold (unless someone chooses to get out due to whatever), and I'm sorry that my approach had to shift.
To the owners group - you will see the final rev first, along w Lior (due to be assembled and shipped shortly after the Thanksgiving break...all 25 got built at once).
Lior's detail on the HR Giger inspired medallion is off the charts...the best I've seen from him (that says alot). The fabrication of the apron is absolutely perfect and mimics the original geometry perfectly, and the strobe....well, let's just say the engineering behind this was extremely solid and the effect devastating.
Acrylics and finish are different from this proto video in the final being made (obviously cards are glossy and just what I had...those change), and will post when I've got them boxed, ready to go.
Appreciate everyone's anticipation. I own the approx 60 day delay...had to get it right....mark
For this thread - I can share
Let the games begin....

Well Thats Awesome!!! Worth the wait for sure. Was excited to see your completed vision and you hit it out of the park. Well done!!

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

It turned better than I'd hoped/ envisioned, and the build exceeded expectations (they just make amazing stuff). Suspect you will enjoy the details when I post the one actually going out the door. Will give some shots of all the sides, lightboxes, attachment method, etc. Devil in the details as they say.
In fairness to the fab guys, I got pushed back a few times due to them making some pretty important COVID related parts first. The industry has had to be very fluid to keep up with whatever a company believed (believes) is needed. No way I was even going to hint that my project should keep it's place in line during this craziness. Grateful they were able to get it finished for me.
There's more to see......

Simply Well Done sir! Seen how excited you were in the creative process and expected nothing but the best. By far the best custom I have seen.

3 weeks later
#196 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

$625.00 donation to Pinside = check
Apron kits finished and being shipped = check
Black Zinc electroplating w Lior's sick hand sculpted, painted medallion inspired by HR Giger w his magic = off the charts!!! I have many powdered aprons, this different approach fit the theme perfectly.....
The wait, crazy time and effort was worth it. A couple pics, and I'll fire up the strobes/ lighting and post again in the next couple days.
A bit creepier acrylics installed - owners get these and the original Xenos
Thank you to the Alien community.....a bad ass game has gotten some much needed love....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well done. Perfect look and detail. Congrats.

4 weeks later
#258 3 years ago

Looks amazing. Can we start the Pleaseeeeeee now to start working on a variation for the New Alien coming. Pretty please.......lol

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I am in for 1 - sign me up!

He also says with a Pleaseeeeeee.. lol

2 weeks later
#280 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Hope you enjoy it if the deal works out. Manual is pretty thorough, but feel free to reach out if needed.
Hindsight, should have done a run of 50 I suppose...( now that the stress of the build is starting to fade a bit, lol)

Keep that positive spirit going for the PB Alien Mr! Lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mk6pin-s-alien-apron-adventure?tu=Yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.