DSCN7722 (resized).JPG
DSCN8459 (resized).JPG
DSCN8453 (resized).JPG
DSCN8458 (resized).JPG
DSCN8456 (resized).JPG
DSCN8457 (resized).JPG
DSCN8455 (resized).JPG
DSCN8451 (resized).JPG
There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 3 years ago

Stay the course. All good things take time.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Great update. One comment regarding LE/not LE. It is written on the serial number on the pin itself if it is LE or not, so any owner can check it.
If someone just replaced art to make it LE and added beacons, it still says SE on the Heighway serial number sticker which can be found on the back side of the cabinet.
Useful for those who want to purchase and want tocheck or doubt which version they have.

This is not entirely truthful, only a handful of Alien pins have serial's or data tags on the back. A lot do not have any type of serial numbers or anything on the back of the cabs and are bare. So there is no way to tell what you have on many. Which is why some on here take advantage of it and slap LE stuff on SE's and resells them as LE's.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

I asked a normal question in a polite way, then I get this...
I never just took Averells design without asking, I in fact asked him to make more but he said no and I had to do my own.
And what has it to do with my question.
I give credit where it belongs and I post my ideas and solutions openly in the forum.
Think before you make accusations.
Then the question itself: It would not have been even relevant, but you bring it up yourself in about 5 posts. If you would just say 'I made an apron, it's $X' it would also be fine (like most people do). So why you get so mad when I ask about it.
I say nowhere you are not helpful, or that you don't make nice things. I don't accuse anyone of anything, I just ask a question.
Too bad you took me off the list just for asking a somewhat critical question, but that is your decision.

Well, you took the mini beacon mod which was my idea and I stated I was creating it for everyone and you began to sell it without asking me by your logic? I had to stop my mod and start from scratch.

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Well, you took the mini beacon mod which was my idea and I stated I was creating it for everyone and you began to sell it without asking me by your logic? I had to stop my mod and start from scratch.

Will wait patiently for your hypersleep chamber mod...looked very cool.

Upfitting an entire apron assembly into my game this weekend to give a nice workout to the electronics. Want to get as much finished and tested, so when the final metal component arrives, I'm done.

If I can get this installed and tested on bourbon night, my confidence is high it's as simple as I can get it...

#155 3 years ago

hello guys
im glad to be part of this project. im getting a lot of messages and requests about this alien machine to make sculpts or other custom work.
and finally mark got me into this project. it was very challenging to sculpt this with very limited height and i must say this part have TONS of details they are so small and looks AWESOME. i was also happy to help mark with some design ideas for other things on this apron. right now i cast 50% of the parts and we will paint all next week. im sure you will love it!

im glad to see on the list some of my costumers!
if you didn't saw my work before you are welcome to check some of it here
https://www.instagram.com/lior_theartofpinball/

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from liorillusion:

hello guys
im glad to be part of this project. im getting a lot of messages and requests about this alien machine to make sculpts or other custom work.
and finally mark got me into this project. it was very challenging to sculpt this with very limited height and i must say this part have TONS of details they are so small and looks AWESOME. i was also happy to help mark with some design ideas for other things on this apron. right now i cast 50% of the parts and we will paint all next week. im sure you will love it!

Beyond excited to see you work once again Lior!

#157 3 years ago

hello guys

Good to see your post Lior!!..and thank you for being a part of this custom project....sounds quite nice and exclusive...

Lots happening, and looks like I'll get these just in time....

#158 3 years ago

hello guys

Yep really excited to see the your work on this . Nice to see the Alien pinball having so many new items added.
Just having the update from bcd was one thing but to have all the other mods pop up for us is a great thing.
Good luck to all.

#159 3 years ago

hello guys

This is awesome. The hype is real!

#160 3 years ago

My ALIEN is complete and back in action... there's only this Apron made of plastic.
Can hardly wait to finish this project.

DSCN8249 (resized).JPGDSCN8249 (resized).JPG

DSCN8250 (resized).JPGDSCN8250 (resized).JPG

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

My ALIEN is complete and back in action... there's only this Apron made of plastic.
Can hardly wait to finish this project.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

#162 3 years ago

A brief post with some updates:

a) A fully built lighting harness, laced appropiately, with all strobe effects has been running in my machine for a week...zero failures or impact on the game in anyway (it's electrically isolated from any Heighway components). Design is deemed "approved", and strobe controllers are being assembled.

b) Fab shop making great progress w the steel side of things. This will be the final mock needed to show something on the thread. Will hope for some point next week.

c) Art is in progress and looks amazing. Well wishes go to liorillusion , as his country is currently being hit hard by the virus. Health and family first. He's had a tough go as of late.

d) 10 of the 25 wiring harnesses are complete.

e) All Motion trackers in-house

f) As I type tonight, there are 10 apron kits that have not been spoken for with a deposit (at least). Obviously means " 3 of the 13" have decided to secure one. I only say this as a fact, and not to encourage or pusuade anyone to make any decision they are not completely comfortable with. I'll show something when I can, and as soon as possible, but nothing will be rushed just for the sake of showing it here. There will be plenty of pics and a few videos after everything is done.

g) Not much shift in "the list".

h) There will be absolutely, positively, no way another run of these will happen (probably guessing I'm getting asked quite a bit). I emphasize this as there really weren't enough hours in my day to do even these 25. I'm so happy some will get one (including me), but that is going to do it. Not in the mod business and never will be. The work put into this to get everything as I wanted/ built out is staggering. Will reiterate that I own the CAD file, Electronic diagrams, art files, and mold from liorillusion when everything is said and done.

i) So appreciative of all involved in this build!!!!! Could not have pulled this off alone, for sure....amazing energy on this!!

Enjoy your Friday....mark

Added over 4 years ago:

Spelling typos here and there...

#163 3 years ago

I'm very happy to see your progress and I'm sure this will be a master piece.
Those who are undecided will later be annoyed that they did not get one.

1 week later
#164 3 years ago

Bumping this in hopes of an update.

#165 3 years ago

Updates (no pics...sorry): you have esp dtowndobe ....

- Lior's sculpts in my hand

- All harnesses complete and tested

- Met w Don (grumpy machine guy) today to physically place all parts (Sculpt, Motion Tracker, Acrylics, Decals, etc.). Even he was blown away w how it was coming together. Hard to do with him, he never seems very excited about anything. I just stood back and looked for a bit as vision is rapidly turning into reality.

- The Acrylics we're 1/4" short on the verticals so need to be redrawn, cut. This is why (for me) it's so important to get a fully built mock complete in physical form. Probably an oversight on my end to not verify, but only adds a few days. I'll be back over there next Wednesday. I treat drawings as cartoons until the mock is built.

- All (and I mean all) build pieces in house and am working on instructions/ Apron cards now.. Packing and shipping now become a priority checklist.

- Promised I wasn't showing this until it was DONE, so bear with me. I can't (won't) rush at this stage. There are massive amounts of "stuff" and literally thousands of ft of harness/ interconnect cabling, etc. to bring this thing to production grade (in full OCD mode now). My intent is to have everything built and tested to simply drop in the metal as a build step, pack and ship.

- Believe all but 3 have deposits paid in, so as predicted, could be gone before they are shown here.

- When the mock is complete to my satisfaction on all fronts, I'll post it, along w video. Until then, we wait.

- You'll like what you see. Of this I am now certain...enjoy your evening...mark

#166 3 years ago

Sounding excellent! Thanks for the update.

#167 3 years ago

Thank you for the update! I don't think I will end up making the final list to get one - too late to the party - but I'm still excited to see the final product!!!

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Thank you for the update! I don't think I will end up making the final list to get one - too late to the party - but I'm still excited to see the final product!!!

Yea, realized 25 wasn't going to make everyone happy, but I'm not in the mod business. More happy to just share what I was doing in my game w a few others.

Thanks for the interest....should be more of a fun read when everything put together and can post alot of the stuff here.

2 weeks later
#169 3 years ago

I've built this batch in entirety from "the inside out" - harnesses, strobe controllers, acrylics, art, etc. Waiting on the freakin batch of actual steel to be delivered to assemble and show.

The whole project has taken a couple weeks longer than scheduled (added a feature, and 1 acrylic redo)....pics soon....very soon.......mark

Glowing, strobing, Killer art, and steel .....mark

#170 3 years ago

I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've built this batch in entirety from "the inside out" - harnesses, strobe controllers, acrylics, art, etc. Waiting on the freakin batch of actual steel to be delivered to assemble and show.
The whole project has taken a couple weeks longer than scheduled (added a feature, and 1 acrylic redo)....pics soon....very soon.......mark
Glowing, strobing, Killer art, and steel .....mark

Tell me about it.

Keep hustling man! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

-- Jimmy

1 week later
#172 3 years ago

Had to put something in here as I wait ( and wait) for final steel to assemble...

Partial of cabinet and playfield harnesses that have already been tested ( I knew the ping pong table would prove valuable at some point)..

IMG_20201024_095504007 (resized).jpgIMG_20201024_095504007 (resized).jpgIMG_20201024_143227066_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20201024_143227066_HDR (resized).jpg
#173 3 years ago

About time MK6PIN I was begining to think you wouldnt show us anything .

Let see the rest....

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Had to put something in here as I wait ( and wait) for final steel to assemble...
Partial of cabinet and playfield harnesses that have already been tested ( I knew the ping pong table would prove valuable at some point)..
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks Mark, that’s great. Is there any mock up or any design to share at this point?

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

About time mk6pin I was begining to think you wouldnt show us anything .
Let see the rest....

Lol....I thought about it. I'll share some tallys of final build ( mm of cabling, connectors, crimps, etc. not $$) that went into each one of these after it's been shown and they are gone. Sort of staggering. Your mod will be represented properly, that I can promise.....

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Thanks Mark, that’s great. Is there any mock up or any design to share at this point?

The only mock in my posession at this point is an old rev, physically cut and bent, to confirm certain elelments.

You can use CAD, Solidworks, etc. to draw pretty pictures, but ultimitely the "steel must hit the road" as things have to fit perfectly.

I've had a working version of the harness you see in my game for almost 2 months, but I would tweak it, etc. then once finally happy, I used some of my employees (A/V Technicians....good ones) to build the lot of 25. Kneissl has done an absolutely amazing job with the actual strobe controller mech. Instructions and such are done.

In true steel fab land I've found its much harder to get them to pay attention to the little things that mean alot to me. Being a large shop, they are amazing, but the process has taken a bit longer than I had hoped (really not too bad, given what is happening). If you read through this thread you get an idea where I'm going. I can only say they have the final "living mock". When I get my first mini batch back for approval, I can share with all the elements (Lior's art, etched acrylics, finish, lighting, etc.) in action, the way it should be presented. Only way I'm comforatable showing it, and keeping my word w Lior that his work will only be revealed on the final product in the thread.

As much as it's killing me to wait, I'd rather do that than have any regrets on how it turned out. It will be shown here....soon. The apron itself is exceeding my vision, and worthy of the effort and the game itself.

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

As much as it's killing me to wait, I'd rather do that than have any regrets on how it turned out. It will be shown here....soon. The apron itself is exceeding my vision, and worthy of the effort and the game itself.

I've seen bits of the project, but getting anxious to see it all together myself

#178 3 years ago

Still nothing? (Asking for a friend)

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Still nothing? (Asking for a friend)

Was at the main fab shop Thursday....still in line...steel is super slow ( I got bumped by some bins of steel getting rushed for some COVID assembly)....

Build is 100%, and they promised I'd have the lot in 4 weeks to ship.

I'll get something on here this week hopefully. Six week delay from my promised date is frustrating, for sure. Under estimated the snail pace of the world currently.

I figure the thread will be flaming soon enough. Tell your friend it is coming...

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Was at the main fab shop Thursday....still in line...steel is super slow ( I got bumped by some bins of steel getting rushed for some COVID assembly)....
Build is 100%, and they promised I'd have the lot in 4 weeks to ship.
I'll get something on here this week hopefully. Six week delay from my promised date is frustrating, for sure. Under estimated the snail pace of the world currently.
I figure the thread will be flaming soon enough. Tell your friend it is coming...

Agreed. We're delayed on bracket and other assemblies too. Just the times we're currently in

Can't wait to see what you do!

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Agreed. We're delayed on bracket and other assemblies too. Just the times we're currently in
Can't wiat to see what you do!

You're doing amazing things!!! While the wait can be agonizing at times, the final rev of this kit really exceeded what my vision was...suspect the delay will be the last thing on anyone's mind...

#182 3 years ago

Your efforts alone have me believing this is gonna be a beautiful touch to an amazing pin! Sounds like you're sooo close! Can't wait to see!!

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Your efforts alone have me believing this is gonna be a beautiful touch to an amazing pin! Sounds like you're sooo close! Can't wait to see!!

Sooooo close!!!! Once the cat is out of the bag, there will be many, fun and frustrating stories to be shared in the creation of this thing. It will be deserving of it's place on the game....

3 weeks later
#184 3 years ago

Did this stall?? I can still help you with a Speedier fabrication company if your interested in your area.

#185 3 years ago

After more than 3 months, I wonder why there is still nothing to show. Not even a glimpse of what it could look like. The other apron has been shared for a while. I mean, what was the point to share that early ? Is there a drawing or anything? Why is that secret... i hope everything is fine.

#186 3 years ago

I’m sure the OP will post an update soon. Believe me, I bet you’ll love it.

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Did this stall?? I can still help you with a Speedier fabrication company if your interested in your area.

Quoted from Warzard:

After more than 3 months, I wonder why there is still nothing to show. Not even a glimpse of what it could look like. The other apron has been shared for a while. I mean, what was the point to share that early ? Is there a drawing or anything? Why is that secret... i hope everything is fine.

Nothing has stalled. The second comment sort of represents why I chose to not share the early part of the journey in the thread.

This was never about a competition (as I'm not competing), or "another apron" or whatever, rather what I was finally able to get built and be able to share with a few in the community. There is no other apron for me, this is what was going to happen and be built, regardless.

It quickly turned toxic for me to post regular updates here, and chose instead to post to a private owners group, who has been fiscally committed since day 1 (many have paid in full). The vast majority reached to me to secure their spot. Is what it is. There, I can post, get constructive input, and avoid the nonsense I knew would come by throwing it out here in the early stages.

These are sold (unless someone chooses to get out due to whatever), and I'm sorry that my approach had to shift.

To the owners group - you will see the final rev first, along w Lior (due to be assembled and shipped shortly after the Thanksgiving break...all 25 got built at once).

Lior's detail on the HR Giger inspired medallion is off the charts...the best I've seen from him (that says alot). The fabrication of the apron is absolutely perfect and mimics the original geometry perfectly, and the strobe....well, let's just say the engineering behind this was extremely solid and the effect devastating.

Acrylics and finish are different from this proto video in the final being made (obviously cards are glossy and just what I had...those change), and will post when I've got them boxed, ready to go.

Appreciate everyone's anticipation. I own the approx 60 day delay...had to get it right....mark

For this thread - I can share

Let the games begin....

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Nothing has stalled. The second comment sort of represents why I chose to not share the early part of the journey in the thread.
This was never about a competion (as I'm not competing), or "another apron" or whatever, rather what I was finally able to get built and be able to share with a few in the community. There is no other apron for me, this is what was going to happen and be built, regardless.
It quickly turned toxic for me to post regular updates here, and chose instead to post to a private owners group, who has been fiscally committed since day 1 (many have paid in full). The vast majority reached to me to secure their spot. Is what it is. There, I can post, get constructive input, and avoid the nonsense I knew would come by throwing it out here in the early stages.
These are sold (unless someone chooses to get out due to whatever), and I'm sorry that my approach had to shift.
To the owners group - you will see the final rev first, along w Lior (due to be assembled and shipped shortly after the Thanksgiving break...all 25 got built at once).
Lior's detail on the HR Giger inspired medallion is off the charts...the best I've seen from him (that says alot). The fabrication of the apron is absolutely perfect and mimics the original geometry perfectly, and the strobe....well, let's just say the engineering behind this was extremely solid and the effect devastating.
Acrylics and finish are different from this proto video in the final being made (obviously cards are glossy and just what I had...those change), and will post when I've got them boxed, ready to go.
Appreciate everyone's anticipation. I own the approx 60 day delay...had to get it right....mark
For this thread - I can share
Let the games begin....

Well Thats Awesome!!! Worth the wait for sure. Was excited to see your completed vision and you hit it out of the park. Well done!!

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Let the games begin....

So will this be standard on the new LEs?

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So will this be standard on the new LEs?

Just the VE's

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Well Thats Awesome!!! Worth the wait for sure. Was excited to see your completed vision and you hit it out of the park. Well done!!

It turned better than I'd hoped/ envisioned, and the build exceeded expectations (they just make amazing stuff). Suspect you will enjoy the details when I post the one actually going out the door. Will give some shots of all the sides, lightboxes, attachment method, etc. Devil in the details as they say.

In fairness to the fab guys, I got pushed back a few times due to them making some pretty important COVID related parts first. The industry has had to be very fluid to keep up with whatever a company believed (believes) is needed. No way I was even going to hint that my project should keep it's place in line during this craziness. Grateful they were able to get it finished for me.

There's more to see......

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

It turned better than I'd hoped/ envisioned, and the build exceeded expectations (they just make amazing stuff). Suspect you will enjoy the details when I post the one actually going out the door. Will give some shots of all the sides, lightboxes, attachment method, etc. Devil in the details as they say.
In fairness to the fab guys, I got pushed back a few times due to them making some pretty important COVID related parts first. The industry has had to be very fluid to keep up with whatever a company believed (believes) is needed. No way I was even going to hint that my project should keep it's place in line during this craziness. Grateful they were able to get it finished for me.
There's more to see......

Simply Well Done sir! Seen how excited you were in the creative process and expected nothing but the best. By far the best custom I have seen.

#193 3 years ago

That medallion is the exact spitting image of palisades old alien wall plaque they had a few years back. I have one which is why it looked familiar to me. http://www.collectorsgalleryonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CG&Product_Code=ALIENWALLPLAQUE&Category_Code=P

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

That medallion is the exact spitting image of palisades old alien wall plaque they had a few years back. I have one which is why it looked familiar to me. http://www.collectorsgalleryonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CG&Product_Code=ALIENWALLPLAQUE&Category_Code=P

We looked at several HR Giger pieces, and I loved that approach....imagine hand-sculpting, painting a resin inspired version to a 3" diameter w the level of detail Lior brought....crazy stuff!!!! A perfect medallion if I've ever seen one...

3 weeks later
#195 3 years ago

$625.00 donation to Pinside = check

Apron kits finished and being shipped = check

Black Zinc electroplating w Lior's sick hand sculpted, painted medallion inspired by HR Giger w his magic = off the charts!!! I have many powdered aprons, this different approach fit the theme perfectly.....

The wait, crazy time and effort was worth it. A couple pics, and I'll fire up the strobes/ lighting and post again in the next couple days.

A bit creepier acrylics installed - owners get these and the original Xenos

Thank you to the Alien community.....a bad ass game has gotten some much needed love....

PSAlien2 (resized).jpgPSAlien2 (resized).jpgPSAlien3 (resized).jpgPSAlien3 (resized).jpgPinSideAlien1 (resized).jpgPinSideAlien1 (resized).jpg
#196 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Black Zinc electroplating w Lior's sick hand sculpted, painted medallion inspired by HR Giger w his magic = off the charts!!! I have many powdered aprons, this different approach fit the theme perfectly.....
The wait, crazy time and effort was worth it. A couple pics, and I'll fire up the strobes/ lighting and post again in the next couple days.
Thank you to the Alien community.....a bad ass game has gotten some much needed love....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well done. Perfect look and detail. Congrats.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! Bravo Mark. Thank you for taking the Alien experience to another level

#198 3 years ago

I've been following Alien from the beginning and almost got one when first released. However, I have no connection to the game other than following the thread and then reading about your apron because I've never had the chance to even play one. Your apron is just amazing and I'm glad the hard work you put in paid off (not money wise, but satisfaction wise). When you see what Stern is charging for toppers, I have to say you provide way more value for those that want to mod their game. Cheers.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I've been following Alien from the beginning and almost got one when first released. However, I have no connection to the game other than following the thread and then reading about your apron because I've never had the chance to even play one. Your apron is just amazing and I'm glad the hard work you put in paid off (not money wise, but satisfaction wise). When you see what Stern is charging for toppers, I have to say you provide way more value for those that want to mod their game. Cheers.

Hope you enjoyed some of the journey as much as I did!!! I'll post some of the build pics in the thread in the near future. Certainly wasn't about the $$$ ( whew) , but more of a purpose driven solution to an aspect of my favorite game.

I play the game often, as it's now quite solid. The apron kit really tied alot of things together for me, and was certainly a challenge fulfilled.

Most excited about being able to share it with a few...I'll anxiously await some pics...

#200 3 years ago

Cool work, very nice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mk6pin-s-alien-apron-adventure/page/4?hl=adamross and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.