(Topic ID: 272255)

Mix NVRAM and 5101 RAM

By oldschoolbob

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I just picked up a Stern MPU 200 that needs some work. First I need to replace the U8 and U13 sockets. I have both NVRAM and some 5101's but I wondered what would happen if I used one 5101 and one NVRAM? Would I still need a battery?

Thanks

Bob

#2 3 years ago

Yes you would still need a battery for the 5101. I’d be surprised if they’d work together due to the sensitivity of RAM speed on the MPU200 and its need for matched RAM.

#3 3 years ago

The way the ram is wired U8 is the upper nibble of each byte (d4-d7) and U13 is the lower nibble of each byte (d0-d3). Depending on where you put the nvram you would have one or the other nibbles backed up.

As long as the timing worked out it might "work" but 1/2 of the bytes would be random.

I just use the weebly dual 5101 for mpu200's now. Modern nvram has 100s of the capacity of these old boards rom/ram combined and most of it stays empty in this scenario.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

and its need for matched RAM.

I forgot about that - sorry - maybe not a good idea.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mix-nvram-and-5101-ram and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.