• Latest reply 6 years ago by Brijam
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Simpsons (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

In one of my less brilliant moves, I just miswired a coil in my TSPP (the upper right flipper). It blew a fuse when I turned it on. I resoldered it properly, replaced the fuse, turned it on and blew another fuse. So I put in a new coil, soldered that, replaced the fuse, turned it on and.... blew another fuse. So I must have screwed something worse up, but what? Any ideas out there?

#2 7 years ago

Make sure you haven't grounded one of the solder connections to the metal bracket holding the coil. Had the same issue about a week ago.

#3 7 years ago

If you wired it backwards (power to the anode side of the diode) then you more than likely blew the drive transistor Q13 and its now permanently shorted causing the coil to active all the time. You can verify this by disconnecting either side of the coil and it should not blow the fuse.

You can also verify this is the case by using an ohm meter between the return side of the coil to ground, if it reads a really low resistance that's another good indication that its the drive transistor; if you then remove J9 from power drive board and the resistance to ground goes away, then you know the short is on the driver board.

#4 7 years ago

^^^^ Wow, great description right there.

For the "coil to ground" part, are you telling him to put one of the DMM leads on the return part of the coil, and the other one on the ground braid? If so, how do you know which side of the coil is the "return" side?

Asking for my own edification. Thanks!

#5 7 years ago

Pin_Guy I would like to know that too.

Is there a chance I blew the diode?

#6 7 years ago

You blew the drive transistor. Replace it. The diode is fine.

#7 7 years ago

Sadly, I did the same thing earlier this week.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 7 years ago

Diode could certainly be bad too, at least test it.

If testing on the coil, you should at least see a few Ohms from the coil windings across the diode. If the meter shows a direct short, the diode is bad.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#9 7 years ago

After you validate your wiring connections and confirm there is no short circuirts (including solder "whiskers") and proper continuity, keep this small important tip in mind.

If you burned out the PCB drive transistor, you MUST test the associated coil diode, along with all upstream electrical components when repairing. They can all be damaged simultaneously all the way to the IC logic chip. If a blown transistor is the cause, I always replace diodes, as even testing cannot be 100% reliable.

If you do not, you may be chasing circles forever.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

For the "coil to ground" part, are you telling him to put one of the DMM leads on the return part of the coil, and the other one on the ground braid? If so, how do you know which side of the coil is the "return" side?

Yes the ground braid, the "return side" goes to the drive transistor as opposed to the "power side" which is connected to 50VDC; its the Blu-Grn wire, and should be on the anode side of the diode

Quoted from Brijam:

Is there a chance I blew the diode?

There is a small chance that the diode may have blown, but this would be a secondary failure from the blown drive transistor.

Simpsons (resized).jpgSimpsons (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Diode could certainly be bad too, at least test it.
If testing on the coil, you should at least see a few Ohms from the coil windings across the diode. If the meter shows a direct short, the diode is bad.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

+1 Check the diode on the coil for a short.

2 months later
#12 6 years ago

Ok this is driving me crazy. I replaced the board with a brand new rottendog and a brand new coil and when I switch the power on to the game, that flipper sticks up until power is off. That definitely makes it an electrical issue; it actually cooked a coil, so I put /another/ coil on, same problem.

Only the upper playfield right flipper is acting up. Everything else on the game is perfect.

What the heck is going on?

#13 6 years ago

I believe this means the transistor is blown. You can test it with your dmm set to continuity, one probe to the transistor tab, other probe to game ground. If you get no reistance/ buzz,, the transistor is shorted.

Can you post a picture of your coil wiring? Maybe you wired it wrong again. I'm not in front of my game, but does the coil require a diode? If so, is there one on it?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

that flipper sticks up until power is off.

Disconnect J9, if it still does it with this cable off, then you have a short in the return wire (BLU-GRN), fix the short.

If the problem doesn't happen with J9 disconnected then the problem is on your new board, Q13 would be the most likely issue.

#15 6 years ago

It was Q13.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
$ 218.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/miswired-a-coil-what-have-i-done and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.