• Latest reply 7 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0783 (resized).JPG
IMAG0266[1] (resized).jpg
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

i guess we'll start there. it was working a little bit. it wouldn't repopulate after i hit the ball during game play. now when i turn it on the magnet goes back and forth a few times, the gates open and close, but no ball is populated.

if i need to do something with the magnet test, i'll need a bit of a tutorial. i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be doing in there. the long throw opto worked in switch edge test, however.

#2 7 years ago

It's good that the long throw opto works. What about the others? I think there's an opto on the left side ball pocket that tracks whether or not a ball is there. I'm not sure, off the top of my head, if there's one on the right as well. I'd check those to make sure they're working correctly, as well as check the rest of the switches in the game that track ball presence (locks, trough, etc..). It sounds a little bit like the game isn't sure if there's a ball there or not (or which side it's on). If the opto isn't working and it's stuck open, the machine would think there's a ball one side and try to move it to the other only to find that it just moved air and there's still no ball there. Also double check the trough because it should keep feeding a ball if there's too many in there. There could be more than one switch not doing its job.

That's the end of my wild stab. Good luck!

#3 7 years ago

hmm. now my long opto isn't registering. i should be able to put my hand in the middle of the playfield for it to trigger, right? pretty sure that's what i did the other day. grrr.

#4 7 years ago

the manual says it can be adjusted by sliding it to the front of the machine. not sure what that means.

i checked all the wires to make sure i didn't break anything when i was installing led's. everything looks fine. what should the opto board show underneath?

#5 7 years ago

Here's some more detailed info on troubleshooting the mist magnet.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/game-specific-toys/200-mist-multiball

#6 7 years ago

receiver is working and transmitter looks purple on my camera.

where's the l1 inductor suppose to be?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

receiver is working and transmitter looks purple on my camera.
where's the l1 inductor suppose to be?

The inductor is mounted on the mist ball opto driver board (24" opto board) which is under the playfield

#8 7 years ago

What is the part numbers for long range receiver opto, and transmitter"

#9 7 years ago

looks like it's still on there, right?

IMAG0266[1] (resized).jpgIMAG0266[1] (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

led was red during switch test 82.

#11 7 years ago

there's no opto beam on the display during magnet test.

#12 7 years ago

L1 is at the bottom right of your picture - the round green "drum" looking part.

The very fine leads can break on this so have a close look at where it mounts on the PCB.

If one is broken you can chip away the green covering and solder to the broken wire. This works 50% of the time (if the lead is broken).

#13 7 years ago

If you luck out fixing this board Pinball Life has these replacement boards.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4362

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

What is the part numbers for long range receiver opto, and transmitter"

These are standard IR parts. They are not special despite what some may think. The special tricks are done on the 24" opto board.

#15 7 years ago

so if the transmitter looks purple with my camera, but the pin isn't seeing the beam, is it the board or transmitter?

#16 7 years ago

i'll check the l1.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

so if the transmitter looks purple with my camera, but the pin isn't seeing the beam, is it the board or transmitter?

What you see is not a definitive answer to your problem - it only confirms that the IR LED is working in itself, nothing more.

This circuit is a lot more complex than it appears at first glance.

Follow the advice in the repair information linked earlier.

#18 7 years ago

the l1 looks fine.

#19 7 years ago

new board?

#20 7 years ago

you mentioned putting leds in? if they are too bright near the right and left gate optos you may have them interfering possibly. i put electrical tape around those areas surrounding the optos, so that led lights do not impose on the optos. when you run your magnet test and it goes through the opto test, does it pass opto test 1? there are 3 opto tests. just trying another suggestion, sometimes it can be a simple problem, or not so much, as i had to have my opto board repaired by clive.

#22 7 years ago

i don't think they're too bright. just flattop comets.

it doesn't get to opto test 1, since it never thinks it unloads the magnet.

i will try shading those areas a little better though. thanks for the suggestion. i appreciate all the help, guys.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i will try shading those areas a little better though

if i were you, i'd pull all the surround G.I. led bulbs in those areas, if it works then you know the leds are the problem. if it still doesn't work with the bulbs out, then it is board/opto related as Homepin has suggested.

#24 7 years ago

i basically created a tunnel across the playfield and it still wasn't working...

#25 7 years ago

this probably isn't helping anything:

my drain switch works, but the armature doesn't go back, so when the next ball drains it just sits on the armature. it may or may not be triggering that switch, probably not. even if it does, the arm doesn't go back to kick it up the trough.

what's that going to be? dirty coil sleeve? the quest continues...

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

this probably isn't helping anything:
my drain switch works, but the armature doesn't go back, so when the next ball drains it just sits on the armature. it may or may not be triggering that switch, probably not. even if it does, the arm doesn't go back to kick it up the trough.
what's that going to be? dirty coil sleeve? the quest continues...

Yep tear everything in trough apart and clean. I thought that bsd was supposed be awesome condition lol.... i believe it came from ssme place as the jy and if so im worried for u bc it was really bad lol.gl man

#27 7 years ago

i'll be fine, i hope. i just get to fix everything that's been broke or needed maintenance for the last 5-10 years. i get to learn a lot at least.

the post assembly that the arm pivots on is completely gummed up. i don't think that comes apart does it? needs cleaned and freshly lubed. it takes some effort to move it back and forth with my fingers. kind of crazy. never seen anything like it. that seems to be a recurring theme with this one. i'll take you along next time i go to look at a pin.

#28 7 years ago

it looks good all cleaned up and led'd; lol.

baseball analogy: it's like getting hit by a pitch. you got on base, but it hurt like hell.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i'll be fine, i hope. i just get to fix everything that's been broke or needed maintenance for the last 5-10 years. i get to learn a lot at least.
the post assembly that the arm pivots on is completely gummed up. i don't think that comes apart does it? needs cleaned and freshly lubed. it takes some effort to move it back and forth with my fingers. kind of crazy. never seen anything like it. that seems to be a recurring theme with this one. i'll take you along next time i go to look at a pin.

DON'T lube things on pinball machines - it will make things worse by a large margin.

Strip, clean and reassemble dry. I sometimes use a very light dust of graphite powder but NEVER grease, oil or WD40 etc.

#30 7 years ago

yes, sir.

#31 7 years ago

that might have been what happened. someone lubed this thing, now it's cake batter.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

that might have been what happened. someone lubed this thing, now it's cake batter.

Could be, lubing pinball parts is a big "no-no".

#33 7 years ago

drain kicker fixed. mist ball still not working. that was obviously a long-shot. needed fixed though.

#34 7 years ago

i could take a transmitter from another spot or game and test it off the long beam card, right?

#35 7 years ago

Have you checked the ball optos on the left side of the playfield? If it thinks there is a ball sitting on the left side it will not load the right side. The left side optos are separate from the long range opto.

#36 7 years ago

yeah they're good. single switch test for 82 triggers as soon as i select it. tv remote closes it. it's the trasmitter or board, i'd guess. it can't be the gates blocking the beam, can it?

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

yeah they're good. single switch test for 82 triggers as soon as i select it. tv remote closes it. it's the trasmitter or board, i'd guess. it can't be the gates blocking the beam, can it?

Alot if things can cause the mist not to work . Ball position, gate position, optos, opto board . Ive helped 6-7 people get theirs working and in all cases it was the board as the caps needed replaced

#38 7 years ago

gotcha. so swing for the fences, you're saying. i pm'd hibler about redoing the card. that should be a little cheaper than a new one. i don't know, maybe i should just order a new one.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

gotcha. so swing for the fences, you're saying. i pm'd hibler about redoing the card. that should be a little cheaper than a new one. i don't know, maybe i should just order a new one.

Just replace the caps on the 24 opto board.... in every case i worked that was the issue . Ive fixed 3 boards and cld do yours and test everything first since i have a bsd

#40 7 years ago

Caps c10 and c 7 are easy and cheap to try if u wanna go for it

#41 7 years ago

interesting.

#42 7 years ago

guess i could test them, right?

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

guess i could test them, right?

just replace them!

#44 7 years ago

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

These are standard IR parts. They are not special despite what some may think. The special tricks are done on the 24" opto board.

Thanks so much for clarifying this for me. I got the board from Homepin AU and installed it. Still had issue and realized it is probably the Optos. Now I just have to find a block of time.

1 month later
#46 7 years ago

the fix was removing the beam guide thingy in front of the receiver on the left hand side of the playfield. we're good to go.

3 months later
#47 7 years ago

Starting having a problem with my mist multiball long range Optos not registering open when the beam is blocked. Game will load ball into the right ball storage area but will keep kicking the ball out and eventually gives up after about three tries. I pulled the 24 opto board and inspected for cold solder joints bad connectors or broken or missing components. Nothing stood out. I checked some resistance values and noticed that R12 on my game is just a zero ohm jumper resistor, not the 10 ohm resistor shown in the manual and schematic. Note this is factory. The board has had no previous work. See picture. Any thoughts for this anomaly?

IMG_0783 (resized).JPGIMG_0783 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Starting having a problem with my mist multiball long range Optos not registering open when the beam is blocked. Game will load ball into the right ball storage area but will keep kicking the ball out and eventually gives up after about three tries. I pulled the 24 opto board and inspected for cold solder joints bad connectors or broken or missing components. Nothing stood out. I checked some resistance values and noticed that R12 on my game is just a zero ohm jumper resistor, not the 10 ohm resistor shown in the manual and schematic. Note this is factory. The board has had no previous work. See picture. Any thoughts for this anomaly?

Guess folks just ignore these older threads even though the BSD Mist Multi-ball seems to cause plenty of issues for people as these games get older. The problem with my board has been repaired. I replaced the R12 resistor with the correct value 10 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor and while I had the board out of the game, While i could not determine if they were bad, I replaced both the electrolytic caps and the L1 inductor. I Play tested the repaired board and the Mist-multiball is working perfect again. The long range opto is registering open and closed states as it should.

#49 7 years ago

Ive fixed a bunch of theses boards by replacing the c7 cap .

#50 7 years ago

That's good to know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mist-ball-gate-not-populating and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.