Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Linolium
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Howdy, I'm a newb. I tried to be a newb earlier, but kept running into issues. So now I'm trying again.

I'm having an issue trying to run MPF v0.52.3. I'm getting the following error in the mc log:

File "c:\users\daveh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\mpfmc\uix\widget.py", line 960, in _repr__
    return '<WidgetContainer id={} z={} key={}>'.format(self.id, self.z, self.key)
    File "kivy\properties.pyx", line 506, in kivy.properties.Property.__get__
    RecursionError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object
    2019-07-01 17:56:49,283 : kivy : Stopping child threads... (1 remaining)
    2019-07-01 17:56:50,288 : kivy : All child threads stopped.

The line about widget.py is listed over and over again in the log with that line about returning the WidgetContainer. I get this every time I'm trying to run the media controller. Attempting to start the demo_man example (with "mpf both -X") it looks like the MC tries to start, but then exits (with the above error). The mpf then says in a white line in the middle: "WAITING FOR MEDIA CONTROLLER localhost:5050". And that will just sit there.

I apologize if I missed something in the tutorial or docs, however, I was cutting and pasting right out of the docs step by step. This is running on Windows 10 1809 and I am using the 0.52 examples.

Thanks for any assistance or info that can lead me to an answer. I'm not familiar with python, but I'm always willing to learn.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. Giving that a shot now.

#4 4 years ago

Unfortunately, a known issue currently in 0.52.3. It should be fixed in MPF-MC 0.52.4. You can upgrade using:

pip3 install --upgrade mpf mpf-mc

Kivy 1.11.0 causes this. In 0.52.3 you need to downgrade kivy manually to 1.10.1 using:

pip3 install kivy==1.10.1

#5 4 years ago

Yup, I was about to post that response from the other board here in case someone ever found this page on google. Thanks for the help.

#6 4 years ago

Ok, just to close this one out totally:

After doing this, I still had the issue, but that was caused by me trying to "fix" it. When this hadn't worked originally, I ended up upgrading Python (I had 3.6 and 3.7 installed). So this fix (pip3 install kivy==1.10.1) didn't work for me. I had to uninstall python 3.7, and then I could see that the 3.6 install still had kivy 1.11.1. I then downgraded the kivy in python 3.6, and poof, things started being able to run. And with that, I'm on my way to finding the next way to mess this up

4 months later
    #7 4 years ago

Thanks for posting this, I just ran into the same issue following the tutorial.

3 years later
    #8 1 year ago

I found this on google groups and it worked for me. I have Win10 and it seems you have to roll back the version a tad with the following command lines:

pipx install "mpf-mc==0.56.0.dev33" --pip-args="--pre" --verbose --include-deps
    and after
    pipx inject mpf mpf-mc==0.56.0.dev33 --pip-args="--pre" --verbose --include-deps --include-apps

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

I found this on google groups and it worked for me. I have Win10 and it seems you have to roll back the version a tad with the following command lines:
    pipx install "mpf-mc==0.56.0.dev33" --pip-args="--pre" --verbose --include-deps
    and after
    pipx inject mpf mpf-mc==0.56.0.dev33 --pip-args="--pre" --verbose --include-deps --include-apps

Roll back? You are bringing life to a three year old thread. But yeah, the rollback may be needed on Windows if you go for latest version directly.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gillen:

Roll back? You are bringing life to a three year old thread. But yeah, the rollback may be needed on Windows if you go for latest version directly.

I personally don't care how old a thread is. I still search the forum for methods and guides that people wrote years ago and still answer to projects I started in 2012. Who cares when looking for clues while troubleshooting. Not to pass on solutions is a disservice. There are always pinball forum nazis that police every post because of boredom I suppose. Hope the info helps someone out. MPF is fantastic but is bare bones and with a great community sharing their issues and solutions it can be a lot of fun and very powerful software to use.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

I personally don't care how old a thread is. I still search the forum for methods and guides that people wrote years ago and still answer to projects I started in 2012. Who cares when looking for clues while troubleshooting. Not to pass on solutions is a disservice. There are always pinball forum nazis that police every post because of boredom I suppose. Hope the info helps someone out. MPF is fantastic but is bare bones and with a great community sharing their issues and solutions it can be a lot of fun and very powerful software to use.

You copied my answer from the Google group so I do know what it do. The thing is the version will probably be obsolete as soon next dev version is released. Not sure how it's being a forum Nazi when questioning a reviving of a three year old thread, specially when your answer doesn't have anything with the OP's original question to do. But yeah, you are right, with this answer I'm a forum Nazi. Sorry.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gillen:

You copied my answer from the Google group so I do know what it do. The thing is the version will probably be obsolete as soon next dev version is released. Not sure how it's being a forum Nazi when questioning a reviving of a three year old thread, specially when your answer doesn't have anything with the OP's original question to do. But yeah, you are right, with this answer I'm a forum Nazi. Sorry.

Thanks for sharing your solution. Maybe I jumped on the wrong thread when I came back from my search. Glad you're out there keeping a close eye on things.

1 month later
    #13 1 year ago

Nah, I agree with you. Nuts to the age of a thread. If it’s useful, resolution hasn’t be fully posted, or additional information is available then use the thread- don’t fragment and make a new thread. The additional info you found was not in this thread (unless I’m misreading something), regardless of who originally posted elsewhere, so it makes 100% sense to post here as well.

And look at me! Reviving a thread from 48 days ago… but it’s still within the first 20 posts…

</End off topic>

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mission-pinball-framework-recursion-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.