• Latest reply 4 years ago by Eli_Smoke
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PNG image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hi, I’m new to this. I just recently inherited a stern Harley Davidson 2nd edition from a body of mine. It had the battery leak, of course. I attempted to repair it but the game still wouldn’t boot. I thought I did a pretty good job. I’m not an electronics wiz by any means but am an alarm tech so I have a pretty good idea of how things work. Anyway I’m missing my +5v and +12v. I have all 4 lights lit on the I/O board but L204 and L2 +5 are not lit. On the new rottendog mpu that I bought L201 and L200 are not lit. On J17 I don’t have the voltages that the manual says I should have. Way low or non existent. I’m kind of at a stand still to which direction to go to now. Also when I got the machine F22 and F23 fuses were blown. Thanks in advance for any direction you guys could give.

#2 4 years ago

I'm not sure if anybody helps people on here or not? I've narrowed it down to the power plug on 520-5055. As soon as I plug that in and power it on, F23 fuse blows. I'm not sure how to test that particular board or what my next step should be. If I leave J3 unplugged I can play games. I have more slow blow fuses showing up Tuesday.

#3 4 years ago

That game has no posted documentation on IPDB (ipdb.org); but it does say that it’s a Whitestar game.

Do you have a manual? Does it have schematics? Is there anywhere else in the game with a fuse list describing F23? And what attaches to J3?

#4 4 years ago

520-5055 is the Display Board.

#5 4 years ago

Lord of the Rings is also Whitestar. On that game, the F23 fuse is “5v DC logic”. F22 is 18v controlled lamps.

Smells like a short to me.

#6 4 years ago

While the game is different, the board schematics should be the same.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/4858/Stern_2003_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_English_Manual_complete.pdf

I’m concerned that J3 might be wrong.

Page 127 for the display board.
Page 131 for the i/o board, which includes various forms of power supplies.

#7 4 years ago

L204 not being lit makes sense if your 5v is blown and/or shorted somewhere.

If you leave your display board disconnected, does the 5v rail light up? Does L204 blink?

#8 4 years ago

Pinwiki is super handy - when it’s working properly.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair

4.3.2 Game Resets with DMD Controller Board Connected
This may be a bit of an anomaly, but it is worth mentioning. If when the DMD controller board is connected without the data line ribbon cables, and the game continues to reset, replacement of BRDG21 may be required.

In one particular instance, a game was resetting continually with only the +5v / ground connection connected to the DMD controller board. If the board was not connected, the driver board would output ~+5VDC. If the DMD controller board was connected, the driver board's logic line would dip down to around +4.85VDC. Logically speaking, this type of symptom somewhat points to the DMD controller board having issue. However, the end result was replacement of BRDG21 per Stern tech support.

It is worth mentioning that the bridge rectifier did test correctly (using a DMM in diode test) both in circuit and out of circuit, but these tests were conducted while the bridge was not under load.

#9 4 years ago

Hello. J3 is on the 5055. I don't have a manual but found one for a playboy game that is similar I think. With it unplugged I have all my lights lit on the MPU and the I/O board and can play a game. Just no display. I'm out of fuses now and can't get any local so had to order them. I have a fast blow 5a in there now. I just wasn't sure if any pinball gurus have run into a similar problem.
I have all the cables connected on the display except the J3. Everything works except the display. Even the knocker started working after a couple of games.

#10 4 years ago

I did see that on pinwiki, but without J3 plugged in my voltages are good on bridge21.

#11 4 years ago

Just to point out the obvious: Make sure your ribbon cables aren’t connected “off by one”; and make sure that pin 1 on the MPU board goes to pin 1 on the video board. Ditto, video board to the plasma display.

Looking at the schematics I can’t tell where J3 actually *goes*.

#12 4 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. j3 goes to CN 2 on the MPU, and I have 5.05vdc on it.

#13 4 years ago

Oh, and I checked the ribbons they are good. Pin 1 is to pin 1 too.

#14 4 years ago

Hmm Interesting. BTW schematics for TSPP are much better. https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Simpsons&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#4674

FRom that, I saw this:

PNG image (resized).pngPNG image (resized).png
#15 4 years ago

Other things I’d check:

Unplugged, that J3’s cable is giving you +5v. And that it’s not accidentally reversed.

On the J3 connector of the video board, unplugged, make sure it doesn’t look like a dead short with the ohm meter. Try both polarities in case there’s a diode protecting things somewhere.

Powered off, and connected, make sure that the 5v pin doesn’t look like a dead short. Same as before.

If you have anyone nearby with another Whitestar game, see if they’ll loan you their dmd driver board.

#16 4 years ago

And .. *please* put a manual in that game. Even if you keep this, you’ll want it in case someone else has to service it. the TSPP schematics are somewhat helpful, but lack all the mechanical and game specific bits.

#17 4 years ago

Yep. Saw that too. Been googling for 2 weeks. I could try to turn it down some to get rid of that .05vdc but I don't that would make a difference.

#18 4 years ago

FYI - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/780-5087-00 . Third edition differences appear to be in art and finish, but otherwise not materially different. eBay may occasionally have it cheaper.

#19 4 years ago

Powered on J3 wire disconnected shorted on j3 terminal leads in one direction not other. .68vdc on it. Checking other things you suggested. Thanks for your help.

#20 4 years ago

I figured it out. I really want to thank you for your help. Stupid easy once I started digging into it. I'm assuming that my buddy or somebody else pulled the plug off of J3 which was hot glued onto the plug base and pulled the base off the circuit board when they put it back on they reversed it.
Thanks again for all your help and taking time out of your day. Unfortunately some bodies skill level cost me about 12 hours and you at least a few hours.

#21 4 years ago

I’m just glad this didn’t do any real damage. If it’s just that plug swapped, it should have been a clean short affecting only the voltage regulator on the io board, and not any of the chips that would *normally* be powered.

Hot glue, I always cut with a razor blade before removing the connector. It’s completely reasonable to hot glue things, especially in a big box of vibrating parts.

Pick up that manual. It’ll save you. It’ll save whoever does a service call (if needed) for you. And it’ll stop an awkward phone call from whoever you send this to next in the game’s life.

#22 4 years ago

Will do. Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 45.95
$ 5,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/missing-voltages and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.