(Topic ID: 293716)

Missing the Reset relay in my Gottlieb Paradise?

By P2K

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dgAmpGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

reset relay schem (resized).jpg
reset relay list (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

My 1965 Gottlieb Paradise won't complete a reset cycle, it ends early in the middle of the score reel reset.
I am trying to find the Reset relay "D" listed in the Paradise schematic but it is nowhere to be found.
I do have the original relay labels in place so I have all the relays identified.

It should be the relay controlling the score reel reset but without it what is doing it now?

I can get a game started by first tripping a coin chute switch which only pulls in the hold relays, starts the motor and starts the reel reset but everything stops mid way when the Bank gets reset during score reel reset. They don't fully reset. It isn't in game mode yet.
Then I hit the 5 point relay "Z" and it finishes the start up and goes into a game. Note that the "Z" 5 point relay does NOT trip now during reset but works during game play scoring.

So my game may double up the 5 point relay with the Reset relay? Unlike the schematic.
In that case my schematic won't tell me what is supposed to engergize the 5 point relay during reset.

So I am stuck at this point right now without knowing the real startup sequence of my Paradise.
Any experience with this?
Thanks.
reset relay list (resized).jpgreset relay list (resized).jpgreset relay schem (resized).jpgreset relay schem (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Do any of your relays in the game have a Yellow&Green wire on the coil, and 6 normally open and 1 normally closed switchy?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Do any of your relays in the game have a Yellow&Green wire on the coil, and 6 normally open and 1 normally closed switchy?

Couldn't find any.

#4 2 years ago

Here are the other 39 Paradise owners
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/paradise/owners

#5 2 years ago

I do not know this machine, but was just working on an earlier Gottlieb and the D relay was in the backbox. I assume other machines have their D relay too close to the score reels, but could be wrong. If it was completely missing, that would be a pain, but I assume it has a switch that triggers the bank reset and so that seems extra odd if the bank reset coil engages when the reels are resetting. What does the lower part of the schematic show with regards to the switches in the bank reset coil circuit?

And if you do find the D relay, it’s possible that at least one of the score runout switches on one of the score reels isn’t closing or is dirty and this is what is causing the bank to reset without completely resetting the score reels (if I understand the problem correctly). In other words, the D relay is disengaging too early. If you do have a D relay, look at what it’s doing while the score reels are beginning to reset.

#6 2 years ago

OK, I have to admit to the common old age syndrome of not seeing the Reset relay when I was looking right at it...in the backbox.
I went back and looked real hard in the backbox and there it was... I swear it wasn't there yesterday!
Actually the old age syndrome also consists of going to the backbox and forgetting why I went to look in the backbox. But of course that never happened.

So back to the original problem of why the score reel reset gets cut short.

Thanks for all your responses.

#7 2 years ago

We’ve all been there.

I’d be looking for a broken wire or a switch that opens before zero. As a test I’d put a clip lead across one runout switch at a time to make sure that the reel kept spinning and never finished reset. Sometimes you have to force a fault to isolate the problem.

Good luck,
Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/missing-the-reset-relay-in-my-gottlieb-paradise- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.