You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

37104301-1AB7-4D2E-A9C2-242BFAAF3857 (resized).jpeg
DA605954-94AF-4C4F-9B8A-F498FD0F0F23 (resized).jpeg
4CBD6A43-ACD7-4B67-837F-E69D3F54386E (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Looking for any help from the experts to ID some missing components. One of the drawbacks to working on a rarity is that there is little to no information out there on this machine. I’ve even tried searching for other Marvel pins with limited success.

The first pic is the backbox. Assuming what’s missing is a bell solenoid. I don’t see one in the schematic unless it goes by a different name. Is there a corresponding switch that would be on this? There are two sets of wires, one with bare ends and one that look like someone cut the tabs off a switch stack.

4CBD6A43-ACD7-4B67-837F-E69D3F54386E (resized).jpeg4CBD6A43-ACD7-4B67-837F-E69D3F54386E (resized).jpeg

The second pic is the cabinet bottom. Clueless as to what is missing here.

DA605954-94AF-4C4F-9B8A-F498FD0F0F23 (resized).jpegDA605954-94AF-4C4F-9B8A-F498FD0F0F23 (resized).jpeg

Also chime in if you have a good method of cleaning the cloth wire insulation. Tried alcohol and simple green without much luck. Having to guess at the color codes makes the schematic pretty useless at times…

#2 2 years ago

the pacific pinball museum has the game, but afaik it's never been opened.

I can drill the lock on monday and take some pictures if you don't get what you need before then.

I don't think the ppm has the schem ... can you post a picture or eventually loan it to me to scan?

some people have used evaporative solvents like brake cleaner on the cloth wires ... dunno how well it works. Usually I figure it out from the schem or dig into the harness where the colors are better ... but doesn't look like harness is big enough in your case to have many wires inside the bundle.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

the pacific pinball museum has the game, but afaik it's never been opened.
I can drill the lock on monday and take some pictures if you don't get what you need before then.
I don't think the ppm has the schem ... can you post a picture or eventually loan it to me to scan?
some people have used evaporative solvents like brake cleaner on the cloth wires ... dunno how well it works. Usually I figure it out from the schem or dig into the harness where the colors are better ... but doesn't look like harness is big enough in your case to have many wires inside the bundle.

Reference pics would be amazing! Hopefully your game is complete. A shot of the whole backbox insides would be good too.

If you wouldn’t mind grabbing a pic of the back glass, mine is toast and I am planning on scanning it and digitally reconstructing it. More reference material would be helpful.

37104301-1AB7-4D2E-A9C2-242BFAAF3857 (resized).jpeg37104301-1AB7-4D2E-A9C2-242BFAAF3857 (resized).jpeg

I will PM you the schematics

Thanks again for the offer, this is the kind of thing that makes the pinball community awesome.

#4 2 years ago

Regarding the two tie points on the lower board: these could be for an operator-added option such as a counter (play meter) or knock-off button, or even a knock-off counter. Does your game already have any of those things?
.................David Marston

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

Regarding the two tie points on the lower board: these could be for an operator-added option such as a counter (play meter) or knock-off button, or even a knock-off counter. Does your game already have any of those things?

Thanks Dave. There is a meter called out in the schematics that is not accounted for. The game does have a knock off button- I think it’s the switch stack on the lower left of the cabinet pic. There’s a button under the cabinet where a power switch usually lives. I assume the knock off counter would be the “free game” unit? If I understand correctly, the pin awards free games which are tracked by a projector unit and wheel in the back box that goes up into the 60s. The k.o. Button steps them down, once the player is payed out. This is all conjecture based on similar games I have read about, since I haven’t actually had it operating yet.

#6 2 years ago

That's almost certainly how it works. For anyone who hasn't seen a projection unit: https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#ProjectionUnit

/Mark

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Hairball:

If I understand correctly, the pin awards free games which are tracked by a projector unit and wheel in the back box that goes up into the 60s. The k.o. Button steps them down, once the player is payed out.

That's the way I've heard it. Now to flesh that out from the operator's perspective: the operator and location split the NET earnings. The cashbox contains the gross earnings, and the location paid off players out of their money (say, from the cash register at the bar). When collection time comes, the operator needs the reading from the knock-off counter to know how much to reimburse the location to reduce the cashbox take down to the net amount.

#8 2 years ago

look for pics in https://bingo.cdyn.com/ppm/hit_parade/

no projector unit or backglass are in the game. There's a couple switch stacks in the head that look like they would have interfaced with the projector.

nobody knows if the museum game had a backglass. It may be in some of the boxes/crates that haven't been opened in years ... but don't bet on it or me finding it anytime soon.

I uploaded the schem to ipdb.org, but none of the pictures. You can submit any of the pics on the site if they add to what you were already planning on providing to ipdb.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

look for pics in https://bingo.cdyn.com/ppm/hit_parade/
no projector unit or backglass are in the game. There's a couple switch stacks in the head that look like they would have interfaced with the projector.
nobody knows if the museum game had a backglass. It may be in some of the boxes/crates that haven't been opened in years ... but don't bet on it or me finding it anytime soon.
I uploaded the schem to ipdb.org, but none of the pictures. You can submit any of the pics on the site if they add to what you were already planning on providing to ipdb.

Really appreciate that you took the effort to document the museum game for me (and anyone who finds this thread in the future). It’s interesting that between mine and yours there’s a complete game.

I now know that the bell coil is the only thing missing in the back box, and the unused terminals on the bottom of the cabinet are maybe a feature that wasn’t installed. You are correct that someone removed the “free game” credit projection unit but left the switch stacks. I’m pretty sure that the additional disconnected wires in mine are from a broken bulb holder behind the stand-off panel.

The rules card is an awesome bonus. Between that and the play field I now have a fairly good idea of how scoring should work. I’m going to use the scan to reproduce it.

No worries on the glass. I think I have enough left to scan and restore digitally. If I get that far I’ll be sure to send you the file to have for the museum archives.

Thanks again for the help!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/missing-components-mystery-48-marvel-hit-parade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.