Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
1EA57A73-A8D4-44AC-BA5A-7FA7533B028A (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpg
02948F00-34F6-449A-A97E-D80F070AFCA1 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Hello all.

I’ve been troubleshooting the solenoid board for my recently acquired Xenon, since the drop target 1/3 solenoids (as well as one other) have been sticking on during startup.

Looking at the board, nothing seems to be burned or clearly broken (although there have been some transistor replacements), but the capacitors C4 and C2 are missing. I assume these are necessary since they appear in the schematics, unless I’m missing something.

Can anyone offer any insight?
Thanks in advance!

02948F00-34F6-449A-A97E-D80F070AFCA1 (resized).jpeg02948F00-34F6-449A-A97E-D80F070AFCA1 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Yep they were probably harvested for another board... you need them and then need to test the transistors for the coils locking on.

#3 3 years ago

Got it. They're marked as .002 capacitors on the schematic, does this mean I should get some 0.002 uF ceramic capacitors?

Thanks for the help!

#4 3 years ago

Yes, that is what I have in the parts drawer. Great Plains Electronics is a great source for these and all of the other parts to rebuild that board if you need them.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from KDPinball:

They're marked as .002 capacitors on the schematic, does this mean I should get some 0.002 uF ceramic capacitors?

Yes, and they are inexpensive, however if you want you can steal them from position C13 and C14 instead. C13 is unused and C14 is for the coin lockout.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from KDPinball:

does this mean I should get some 0.002 uF ceramic capacitors?

You won't find 0.002uF, you'll need to use 0.0022uF

Note those capacitors are 1000 volt rating, don't install standard 50V ceramic capacitors.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CCD-0.0022uF-1KV

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I took JethroP 's advice and stole the capacitors from c13 and c14, but that did not solve my lock on issues.

I will go ahead and order the transistors/resistors/diodes/capacitors from GPE required to fix the individual solenoid sections.

Another question, though. My board is missing resistors r58/60/62/64/66. I assume those will need to be replaced as well?

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago

What else is missing on the board? Can you post a pic of the whole thing?

#9 3 years ago

Yes. I didn’t notice anything else besides what I mentioned.

1EA57A73-A8D4-44AC-BA5A-7FA7533B028A (resized).jpeg1EA57A73-A8D4-44AC-BA5A-7FA7533B028A (resized).jpeg
#10 3 years ago

Those missing resistors are required - they carry the signal from the decoder to the various drivers. Also, your connectors should be replaced - they all look bad, but especially J2 &J4

#11 3 years ago

Yes, replace everything that is missing. There should be no missing parts on that board. Close is good enough for capacitors as the standard values in the early 1970s were different then they are today.

#12 3 years ago

While you are at it, check the large caps for the mfg date. If original, replace them too.

#13 3 years ago

...and while you're at it too... maybe do the upgrades/bullet-proofing as well.
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_Driver_Upgrades

#14 3 years ago

The missing ones are 1.2k ohm resistors 1/4 watt, correct?

And here’s the large capacitor. How do I tell the manufacture date? Both sets of solder joints look fresh.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#16 3 years ago

The guy above might be able to help you.....just a little

#17 3 years ago

So right before Thanksgiving. 1979. Time to replace.

I think I was cleaning up the basement shop in the old Bally plant on Belmont around then.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

So right before Thanksgiving. 1979. Time to replace.
I think I was cleaning up the basement shop in the old Bally plant on Belmont around then.

You should start a thread as what you did at Bally. Love to hear about.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/missing-capacitors-on-bally-solenoid-board?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.