New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 270971)

Missing Components on Bally Solenoid Board

By KDPinball

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by chad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
1EA57A73-A8D4-44AC-BA5A-7FA7533B028A (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpg
02948F00-34F6-449A-A97E-D80F070AFCA1 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 months ago

Hello all.

I’ve been troubleshooting the solenoid board for my recently acquired Xenon, since the drop target 1/3 solenoids (as well as one other) have been sticking on during startup.

Looking at the board, nothing seems to be burned or clearly broken (although there have been some transistor replacements), but the capacitors C4 and C2 are missing. I assume these are necessary since they appear in the schematics, unless I’m missing something.

Can anyone offer any insight?
Thanks in advance!

02948F00-34F6-449A-A97E-D80F070AFCA1 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 months ago

Yep they were probably harvested for another board... you need them and then need to test the transistors for the coils locking on.

#3 3 months ago

Got it. They're marked as .002 capacitors on the schematic, does this mean I should get some 0.002 uF ceramic capacitors?

Thanks for the help!

#4 3 months ago

Yes, that is what I have in the parts drawer. Great Plains Electronics is a great source for these and all of the other parts to rebuild that board if you need them.

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from KDPinball:

They're marked as .002 capacitors on the schematic, does this mean I should get some 0.002 uF ceramic capacitors?

Yes, and they are inexpensive, however if you want you can steal them from position C13 and C14 instead. C13 is unused and C14 is for the coin lockout.

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from KDPinball:

does this mean I should get some 0.002 uF ceramic capacitors?

You won't find 0.002uF, you'll need to use 0.0022uF

Note those capacitors are 1000 volt rating, don't install standard 50V ceramic capacitors.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CCD-0.0022uF-1KV

#7 3 months ago

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I took JethroP 's advice and stole the capacitors from c13 and c14, but that did not solve my lock on issues.

I will go ahead and order the transistors/resistors/diodes/capacitors from GPE required to fix the individual solenoid sections.

Another question, though. My board is missing resistors r58/60/62/64/66. I assume those will need to be replaced as well?

unnamed (resized).jpg

#8 3 months ago

What else is missing on the board? Can you post a pic of the whole thing?

#9 3 months ago

Yes. I didn’t notice anything else besides what I mentioned.

1EA57A73-A8D4-44AC-BA5A-7FA7533B028A (resized).jpeg
#10 3 months ago

Those missing resistors are required - they carry the signal from the decoder to the various drivers. Also, your connectors should be replaced - they all look bad, but especially J2 &J4

#11 3 months ago

Yes, replace everything that is missing. There should be no missing parts on that board. Close is good enough for capacitors as the standard values in the early 1970s were different then they are today.

#12 3 months ago

While you are at it, check the large caps for the mfg date. If original, replace them too.

#13 3 months ago

...and while you're at it too... maybe do the upgrades/bullet-proofing as well.
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_Driver_Upgrades

#14 3 months ago

The missing ones are 1.2k ohm resistors 1/4 watt, correct?

And here’s the large capacitor. How do I tell the manufacture date? Both sets of solder joints look fresh.

image.jpg
#15 3 months ago

48th week of 1979

#16 3 months ago

The guy above might be able to help you.....just a little

#17 3 months ago

So right before Thanksgiving. 1979. Time to replace.

I think I was cleaning up the basement shop in the old Bally plant on Belmont around then.

#18 3 months ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

So right before Thanksgiving. 1979. Time to replace.
I think I was cleaning up the basement shop in the old Bally plant on Belmont around then.

You should start a thread as what you did at Bally. Love to hear about.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.00
$ 30.00
$ 3.50
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
$ 17.00
$ 50.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
nvram.weebly.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside