Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hAbO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think Mortal Kombat would have made a great pinball theme?”

• Yes 35 votes
      67%
    • No 10 votes
      19%
    • We got Street Fighter 2, that is all I need. 7 votes
      13%

(52 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4b648a1afa2f020925e564e62ba85f2535828abd (resized).jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Back in the early 90's Mortal Kombat was king of the arcades. I was a huge fan owning a dedicated MK2 for many years. With Bally/Williams/Midway all under the same roof, would have been a popular licence that they already owned. Some of the same designers that work on our favorite pinball machines also worked on the MK games. This is the one game that could have given TFTC a run for its money with gory DMD animations. We were given a Raiden cameo in WCS94, awesome "Toasty" and "Fatality" quotes in Medieval Madness and some MK3 codes on Johnny Mnemonic. While these are all very cool, I feel Bally / Williams missed a golden opportunity here.

#2 9 years ago

Steve Ritchie was the voice of Shao Khan.

#3 9 years ago

As long as I could repeatedly do the same move over and over and win, I'm in!
    But seriously, yes, that would have been sweet.

As a side note, have you seen Conan play the new Mortal Kombat? Pretty funny when Beast Mode freaks out at the beginning.

#4 9 years ago

I too feel it was missed, I also started a thread on this as well way back when but didnt get too much interest.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mortal-kombat-pinball-if-only

Hey who knows, if this thread took off, maybe someone would get the bug and start working on it

#5 9 years ago

I'd buy one

#6 9 years ago

Would have been awesome as a theme. Seeing how bad street fighter is as a pinball machine... There is always a chance it's only a good license.

#7 9 years ago

and the upper flipper buttons could have been used to enter all the secret flipper codes.
    babalities
    animalities
    friendship

#8 9 years ago

I vaguely remember reading a long time ago that the "spot" Williams ended up using on No Fear was originally intended for a Mortal Kombat or MK3 pin.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from conserx:

I vaguely remember reading a long time ago that the "spot" Williams ended up using on No Fear was originally intended for a Mortal Kombat or MK3 pin.

truth

#10 9 years ago

"FINISH HIM"

Toasty .....

sorry couldn't resist

#11 9 years ago

Didn't Ed Boon (the creator) do the software for Taxi....and a few others?

HUGE FAN of Mortal Kombat by the way. I was mesmerized when the first one came out in the arcade. I remember everyone standing around the arcade....waiting to play that one. Can't wait for the new one to come in April.....I guess Jason Vorhees will be a downloadable character

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Back in the early 90's Mortal Kombat was king of the arcades. I was a huge fan owning a dedicated MK2 for many years. With Bally/Williams/Midway all under the same roof, would have been a popular licence that they already owned. Some of the same designers that work on our favorite pinball machines also worked on the MK games. This is the one game that could have given TFTC a run for its money with gory DMD animations. We were given a Raiden cameo in WCS94, awesome "Toasty" and "Fatality" quotes in Medieval Madness and some MK3 codes on Johnny Mnemonic. While these are all very cool, I feel Bally / Williams missed a golden opportunity here.

Yeah, that would have worked great. Enjoyed MKII and MKIII. Plus there's a code for Mortal Kombat 3 in No Fear.

Quoted from conserx:

Very interesting. I wonder how far along the MK pin got and the reason they went a different way.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

HUGE FAN of Mortal Kombat by the way. I was mesmerized when the first one came out in the arcade. I remember everyone standing around the arcade....waiting to play that one. Can't wait for the new one to come in April.....I guess Jason Vorhees will be a downloadable character

Yes Jason will be available but seriously... I hate that guest character thing. Freddy was out of place. Will be an awesome game though

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from conserx:

Wow, sounds like it was close to a reality. If there is truth to this, would be awesome if an ex Bally / Williams employee could chime in on this post with more details. How far along did this idea get? Why was it changed to a diff machine or scrapped all together? Would be fun to know what Bally / Williams was thinking at the time.

#15 9 years ago

It was just announced that Predator will be released in Mortal Kombat X next month. Please let SkitB know...

#16 9 years ago

... that that is how you obtain a licence.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

It was just announced that Predator will be released in Mortal Kombat X next month. Please let SkitB know...

You beat me to it

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from conserx:

If MK would have taken the spot of "No Fear", we could have had a MK Steve Ritchie design. Imagine Steve doing some custom Shao Khan (pinball) speech. Dan Forden who did the music / sound on "No Fear" also did the music / sound on the MK games. Could have been awesome.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

He also did the voice of Rudy in Funhouse.

The more you know.

#20 9 years ago

I'm onto gathering information about this. Give me some time. Can't promise anything though.

#21 9 years ago

I don't think MK would have been a good theme for pinball. And I *loved* playing MK2.

The draw of MK was/is in beating your opponent. And of course mastering the moves for each character, the Fatalities, Babalities, etc. Those wouldn't translate at all into pinball. Beating another person's score in pinball isn't the same adrenaline rush as virtually smacking down someone in a video game.

And has been mentioned, Street Fighter 2 was HUGE as a video game. Lame as a pin.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

I don't think MK would have been a good theme for pinball. And I *loved* playing MK2.
    The draw of MK was/is in beating your opponent. And of course mastering the moves for each character, the Fatalities, Babalities, etc. Those wouldn't translate at all into pinball. Beating another person's score in pinball isn't the same adrenaline rush as virtually smacking down someone in a video game.
    And has been mentioned, street fighter 2 was HUGE as a video game. Lame as a pin.

Yeah... but maybe Williams/Bally could have pulled it off... many interesting possiblities on this theme. But maybe it was too brutal for Williams/Bally. I mean... they edited "Fuck you asshole" out of the T2 for several reasons. Pinball was way more family friendly most of the times. Just a possibility.

#23 9 years ago

Grand Theft Auto is a greater missed theme opportunity.

Any theme if done right could make a good game. Imagine Champion pub but with MK2 characters, more playfield flow and less training.

-c

#24 9 years ago

Got answers from Chris Granner and Dan Toasty Forden. Both can't remember that there have been plans for a Mortal Kombat pinball. Good news is: Dan will ask Ed Boon.

#25 9 years ago

A Mortal Kombat theme would have been amazing! Too bad it will never happen.

#26 9 years ago

Still have all 4 MK Arcade boards in an original MK cabinet, to say I was a fan would be an understatement

Always wondered why they didn't make a MK pin, seemed like a natural,and it certainly would have been a better license than a few of there other choices that they paid money for.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Endprodukt:

Got answers from Chris Granner and Dan Toasty Forden. Both can't remember that there have been plans for a Mortal Kombat pinball. Good news is: Dan will ask Ed Boon.

Did you ever hear anything back?

I imagine if there was any real activity towards a Mortal Kombat pin we would have heard the story by now.

#28 9 years ago

Not yet. Mortal Kombat team is close to a release so I guess we'll have to wait a little. I think Chris or Dan would have at least heard of it but we'll see what Ed knows.

4 years later
    #29 4 years ago

This thread or idea doesn't need to be dead. Infact i think with the addition of the lcd screen a mortal kombat game can work even better. Look at deadpool for example. That can essentially be the basics for climbing a tower and battling oponnents. Choose your fighter like in star wars. Perhaps have different available combo shots depending on your character, or diff perks. Instead of a final hit like in deadpool, its a "finish him". Playercan enter a fatality combo if they know it. Ex. Left flipper, right flipper, left flipper, plunge button(instead of a pulling plunger). Different fatalities and button inputs for various characters. I think the mk dev team could really have fun with this. I for one would love to see a mature themed pinball machine. Rob zombie is really the only one. Endprodukt if you still have contacts with mk please send this idea back into their heads. With the recent release and success of mortal kombat 11, i think now is a great time.

1 year later
    #30 3 years ago

Does this look like Mortal Kombat colors to anyone else?

4b648a1afa2f020925e564e62ba85f2535828abd (resized).jpg4b648a1afa2f020925e564e62ba85f2535828abd (resized).jpg
    #31 3 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Does this look like Mortal Kombat colors to anyone else?
    [quoted image]

I think they are just showing you shots of what the playfield looks like after about 10 plays.

#32 3 years ago

The trailer for the new movie looks pretty f'en awesome.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/missed-opportunity-mortal-kombat-pinball?hl=kinghebes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.