image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
15-cad-10232-sbp (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I am so looking forward to getting this game into my workshop and starting a full electro/mechanical restoration (and months on the play field) Sold to me for spares or not working.......thats why I love this hobby, who wants a working game.....not me. (Tons of spares came with it, whoopee!)
For those who don't know, it's a 3 ball 18 holler, with no extra balls. (Yet you can get 6 in a line, go figure)
So no help required YET, but would love to know how you guys in the States rate this game. Are there many of these on your side of the pond? Certainly can't be many over here in the UK. Please don't put me off the enjoyment I'm going to have, if it's rubbish just lie.
Just downloaded the manual from Phil's site, and want to take this opportunity to thank him for the brilliant work he does and making all his data public knowledge, great guy
John

#2 6 years ago

It does have a nice looking woman on the backglass. Might be Dave Christensen art.

#3 6 years ago

Try not to sound so enthusiastic

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Try not to sound so enthusiastic

Sorry. Any bingo is better than no bingo.

#5 6 years ago

John you MAY the only bingo collector that likes that title.
Amen Mr. D.

#6 6 years ago

Any Bingo has to rate at least better than fair. More like Good, Better, Best. Get it going, enjoy the process and have fun.

Any non running Bingo turned into a player is an accomplishment. You have found an adventure. Embrace it.

#7 6 years ago

The start of the entire Miss America set. Now get a '75, Supreme and DeLuxe.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The start of the entire Miss America set. Now get a '75, Supreme and DeLuxe.

Don't forget the original 1957 Miss America. Supreme and Deluxe are great. '75 not so much in my opinion.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Miss Universe. Rubbish, fair or great?

It depends on where you are standing.

15-cad-10232-sbp (resized).jpg15-cad-10232-sbp (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Ok ok
Enough already
I get the picture

#11 6 years ago

Sorry, I was thinking of Miss America. Not the three ball Miss Universe.
Nice artwork on the glass & playfield but a boring player. I passed on the opportunity of one or two for $100.00 from Bill Doll (sic?) about 17 years ago. I should have taken one of them.

#12 6 years ago

I love the Miss Americana Triple Bonus this is Mike my dad is on the road...

#13 6 years ago

I actually bought both of Bill Doll's Miss Universe's. They came with the bundle of 20+ plus bingos and other coin op I got when I bought out Bill's entire warehouse collection back around 20 years ago. I drove a large box truck from NJ to York PA and asked a couple of friends from work that wanted to start collection games to come to lend a hand. The Miss Universe's I gave to one of my friends from work for helping me that day. I know he got one up and running and said he liked the game. I am not sure what he did with the other one. I never got a chance to play it and wished I did. More than likely I would have like it.
Is Bill Doll still around?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I actually bought both of Bill Doll's Miss Universe's. They came with the bundle of 20+ plus bingos and other coin op I got when I bought out Bill's entire warehouse collection back around 20 years ago. I drove a large box truck from NJ to York PA and asked a couple of friends from work that wanted to start collection games to come to lend a hand. The Miss Universe's I gave to one of my friends from work for helping me that day. I know he got one up and running and said he liked the game. I am not sure what he did with the other one. I never got a chance to play it and wished I did. More than likely I would have like it.
Is Bill Doll still around?

He had the two Miss Universe's 17, 18 years ago tops. He also had a Bright Lights. I went to pick up a Tahiti on that trip with my then 3 & 5 year old kids. There wasn't enough room for another large Bally bingo in my Chevy Venture with a 500 mile return drive ahead of us.

No one can confirm if he is still Alive even the White Rose show staffers who took over after Bill took I'll. He was super nice to my kids & I.

#15 6 years ago

I think the game is 'ok', but I've only played a handful of times. You cannot waste more than one ball, so you have to be extremely comfortable with the layout.

Tough game. There are quite a few out there in fairly decent condition in the States, from what I've seen.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I think the game is 'ok', but I've only played a handful of times. You cannot waste more than one ball, so you have to be extremely comfortable with the layout.
Tough game. There are quite a few out there in fairly decent condition in the States, from what I've seen.

There are still a few NIB Miss Universe and Tahiti's floating around I believe.

#17 6 years ago

How did pricing on these 40 coin max games like miss u or Tahiti compare with previous games?

#18 6 years ago

Miss universe flyer

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

No mention of 40 coin max

#20 6 years ago

If I read the schematic properly, it is a 40 coin max. There's a coin unit in line with various portioning circuits. It also has the coin unit in line with the all scores advance relay. These are common to all 40 coin max games.

Interesting that it's not on the flyer.

#21 6 years ago

There's not open at top switches on the coin counter unit, so maybe not. It doesn't look like there's any way to prevent additional play past 40.

#22 6 years ago

Hmm... Gonna look at that closer when I get home.

#23 6 years ago

Thank for all the interest and the way its diverging
But I think the project has crashed and died, just got the playfield out and seen the damage, it's flaking to bits in places. Damn, no other projects......do I feel sick

#24 6 years ago

Is that flaking damage the only area on the playfield or is it spread throughout?

#25 6 years ago

Mylar everywhere. It's a bingo, not a flipper game.

#26 6 years ago

This is the worst area. The rest looks like the upper left corner and is bad enough to effect the ball play
Never stripped a playfield down to the level that maybe your thinking. Is it called an "over-lay" that I need? But I must admit that while I write this I feel less depressed and buying new artwork if poss, is better than sulking and hitting the bottle.
So I'll add a new question, where can I get art work from and never mind the cost
Cheers

#27 6 years ago

You might be able to get a cheap complete playfield. 10 years back I had a very nice working game sold for $400 US, & took me almost 2 years to find a buyer. Bingo's have very little interest in my area. Most older ones are selling for the same price.

#28 6 years ago

You might be able to find a replacement playfield from one of the bingo collectors here on this site or you can post a wanted request on MR PINBALL site which is free of charge.

I can also call a friend here at work that I gave to Miss Universe bingos to and see if he might know what happen to the extra parts Miss Universe he had. It's a long shot but you never know.

Can you send a full picture of the Miss Universe playfield with the flaking to be evaluated?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from okorange:

There's not open at top switches on the coin counter unit, so maybe not. It doesn't look like there's any way to prevent additional play past 40.

okorange It looks like there are switches. In the manual, two switches are called out - one moves additional coins beyond 40 to the program extender disc. Located at G-35.

The program extender disc has 59 unique positions and nothing showing in the manual that there's a top switch. The schematic confirms this as well. Every coin below 40 goes through the coin unit and the scrambler before hitting the program disc, every coin above 40 goes straight through the program extender to the program disc (when certain rivets are hit).

So! All that to say that no, it's not a 40 coin max, but it sure uses all the parts of a 40 coin max...

Basically, the portioning loosens (or gives the illusion of loosening) once you have 40 coins in.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

You might be able to find a replacement playfield from one of the bingo collectors here on this site or you can post a wanted request on MR PINBALL site which is free of charge.
I can also call a friend here at work that I gave to Miss Universe bingos to and see if he might know what happen to the extra parts Miss Universe he had. It's a long shot but you never know.
Can you send a full picture of the Miss Universe playfield with the flaking to be evaluated?

Thanks but I need to repeat I live in the UK. Thats why I think my project is doomed. It's art-work or nothing. Of course I could just sand down the play field and get the local drunk to do the art, or there's the under 5's play group.......hmmmm....

Meanwhile Bingopodcast, your knowledge is awesome and I needed to study your reply several times. My head's all over the place now that I'm left without a project.
God, I wish I lived in America, I could live forever smothered in old Bally's. You don't know how lucky you are
Totally screwed. John

#31 6 years ago

Thanks Ballyoldboy - I would classify that info as 'minutia' - players would never notice that stuff - and the real thanks goes to Phil H for hosting the manuals and schems!

And, before you fall into despair, as the others have suggested, post a few pictures. It looks like you have some planking as well as the flaking right at the top of the shooter lane.

Stripping a bingo playfield is not hard, and so far, it just looks like the top side under the guide rail in the shooter lane really needs to be removed, as well as a handful of pins. As has been suggested, laying down a little mylar to protect and cover will help that area. It won't look new, but it will play.

You could also coat the top with a coating like Varathane or another type of clear coat. Mylar will get you playing faster, though.

#32 6 years ago

It's funny... I bought a Miss Universe several years ago because someone that sold me a pin said "oh, you have to try bingos, they are so much fun"!

My Miss U is in beautiful shape, but I have never been able to figure it out. How to play it, that is... for years I searched for a thread about this title, and now one finally shows up.

I would really like to learn how to enjoy mine as I will never get out of it what I put into it...and it is really pretty. However, it sounds like my choice of title wasn't the greatest, though.

#33 6 years ago

Bingos are a lot of fun - that person didn't steer you wrong, exactly. Also, there's fans of every title out there.

How to play:
a) Betting phase/Coin-up phase - drop in coins until desired odds/features achieved. 1st ball will be lifted upon return of three playfield balls to the trough. Upon 1st coin drop, shutter will open and all balls trapped on the playfield will fall. If a game was tilted before ending and a ball is in the shooter lane, that ball is considered 'dead', and will have to be fired back to the trough before the game will start.

Upon each coin insertion, the backglass will 'flash'. This is purely an animation, and it doesn't matter which lamps flicker on and off as the animation happens. After the flash is complete, the game will step up either odds, trip a feature, both, or neither.

b) Playing phase: Shoot the first ball.
There is also a spotted number feature (A/B/C) that you can step through. Based on the position of a stepper unit, you will get from 1-3 spotted numbers if the feature is available.

The third feature on this game is the 'Line' feature - the screen will move allowing the top to wrap to the bottom and the bottom to the top - this is just the colored lines and not the numbers. Therefore, you position this in the color that will win you the most (there are three different colored lines, and three corresponding odds numbers). The odds are stacked from bottom to top, so the smallest number is the three in a line, next four and last fifth. Note that Miss Universe is the only one of two games where you can earn a six in a line - for a bonus of 192 replays on top of the five in a line score.

On shooting your second ball, if you hit the rebound switch (which will be illuminated if the feature is available), if the Mystery Yellow or Mystery Red feature are illuminated on the backglass (or both), a number or two will be selected on the Mystery Spot section. Those numbers will illuminate.

Upon shooting your third ball, you will be locked out of all features and must play what you have.

c) Winning/scoring phase: Assuming that you manage to get three or more numbers in a line (or corners, which I will go over in a moment), you can press the button on the footrail to collect your winner. It will score based on the number of balls in line in that particular color. You can score in more than one color, EXCEPT that in Miss Universe, there are only three balls, so this would be exceedingly difficult (but not impossible with up to five spotted numbers). If you don't have a winner, you're done. Game over. Put in another coin(s) and play again.

Corners: The corners of the card - putting a ball in three of the corners and using your select-a-spot feature to light one of the corners, is the only way to earn this award. It's TOUGH. I've only played a handful of times, and I'm not comfortable with the playfield layout yet. I'll keep trying till I get it one day. Unfortunately, instead of the larger corners payouts, you are locked to either 192 replays or 384 replays. Pretty fun for a computer guy (base 2).

I like the concept of Miss U, and look forward to playing it again soon. It's a really tough game, though, in my opinion, which probably reduces the players' opinions of it. It's certainly a unique game in the bingo pantheon!

#34 6 years ago

T

Quoted from bingopodcast:Thanks ballyoldboy - I would classify that info as 'minutia' - players would never notice that stuff - and the real thanks goes to Phil H for hosting the manuals and schems!
And, before you fall into despair, as the others have suggested, post a few pictures. It looks like you have some planking as well as the flaking right at the top of the shooter lane.
Stripping a bingo playfield is not hard, and so far, it just looks like the top side under the guide rail in the shooter lane really needs to be removed, as well as a handful of pins. As has been suggested, laying down a little mylar to protect and cover will help that area. It won't look new, but it will play.
You could also coat the top with a coating like Varathane or another type of clear coat. Mylar will get you playing faster, though.

There's no way the playfield looked like this when I bought it. It has totally deteriorated since then and must be because it's been kept in the warm and dry. The flaking is more delicate than a virgins tit, can't look at it without damage. I did know about the "bleached" area between 3 and 5 and was prepared to live with that
Pics as requested with the light angled to show the detail. The valley's and peaks would guide the ball down like a funnel....hopeless. We both know shipping a spare from the US is out of the question.
No matter how much I was dying to start work, it just doesn't make sense. And since this is such an unpopular game, there wont be an overlay available anytime soon.
So I will keep my eye open on ebay and try and find an "unusual" Bally or United bingo game which is rarer than a chocolate teapot.
Thanks for everyone's time.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Thanks but I need to repeat I live in the UK.

John - I was just reading Coos' interesting account of how he manufactured a reproduction Miami Beach playfield. He mentioned that Chris Dade from the U.K. has a (or perhaps several?) "sticker" for the playfield. The article mentions a pdf file, which sounds like a digitized playfield image. It might be worthwhile to reach out to Chris or Coos to see if they have any ideas about restoring your playfield. Here's the article about the repro playfield:

http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/playfield.html

#36 6 years ago

bingopodcast

Thanks for the detailed reply! I will have to coin it up this week and give it another chance...sometimes I just look at it and wonder what the heck I was thinking when I could have had another "flipper" there... Again, I really do WANT to like it.

I'll touch base with you once I have put in a few games!

#37 6 years ago

@Blackcatbone

Quoted from BlackCatBone:

John - I was just reading Coos' interesting account of how he manufactured a reproduction Miami Beach playfield. He mentioned that Chris Dade from the U.K. has a (or perhaps several?) "sticker" for the playfield. The article mentions a pdf file, which sounds like a digitized playfield image. It might be worthwhile to reach out to Chris or Coos to see if they have any ideas about restoring your playfield. Here's the article about the repro playfield:
http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/playfield.html

@blackcatbone
Thanks for that, but that really is a long shot, but we'll see. This sad turn of events, shows how easy a game can become scrap. The good thing is Iv'e enjoyed meeting you guys and the world is a bit smaller.
Cheers to all John

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/miss-universe-rubbish-fair-or-great and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.