Williams Cue-T Play Field #1 (resized).JPG
Miss-O PF Pre-Anything (3) (resized).JPG
williams_miss_o_pr_photo_01_redfix (resized).jpg
IMG_4990 (resized).jpg
Miss-O Another owners machine3 (resized).jpg
Williams_1969_Miss_O_Promotional_Photo_Large_Size (resized).jpg
Miss-O Flyer (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I'm just starting on my Miss-O and I have some questions about color. Were there multiple color versions released or did they change the colors?
The brochure looks to be redish plastic graphics, green A-B-C-D bumpers and light/dark blue cabinet.miss-o flyermiss-o flyer

The pic labeled 1969 promo picture shows a different color scheme. Very purple with purple graphics and a light blue/purple cabinet. It could just be a washed out photo, but online photos I have found all seem to show purple orientation. promo picturepromo pictureanother owners picanother owners pic

My uses yellow A-B-C-D and has a perfect light blue/dark blue cabinet and I would never have suspected anything but when I took off the legs, its purple underneath. Does purple fade to blue?my cabinet with purplemy cabinet with purple

#2 4 years ago

Those promo photos are normally taken of Proto or sample games, maybe 1st 100 games made,
so might be some changes in color scheme or even cabinet design between sample games and actual production.
The promo photos in color are often faded from what i have seen in person from some other big time flyer and photo pin collectors,
so hard to say if it is actual purposely color scheme change or just a bad color photo.

#3 4 years ago

mark532011 - My cabinet looks just like yours including the purplish hue under the legs. I like the blue color that it faded to better than the original color. Mine does have green upper bumper caps like those shown in the flyer.

The flyer photo is real close. That promo photo is just bad.

#4 4 years ago

We have the green caps as well.
Unfortunately, our cabinet was painted white when we got it. Someday I will get the stencils, tear it down, and paint it correctly.
This is my wife’s favorite game from her childhood, so it gets a lot of play.

#5 4 years ago

Old color photographs often turn a more red hue with age.

Red paint pigments often turn white/clear with age. (So a purple would lose its red component and turn blue)

Flyers were never meant to be Pantone-level color references so they're often a bit off. And when people scan them they sometimes whack the colors too.

Note that that exact promo photo was used to make that flyer, so it's not the (very common) case of the flyer game being different than later games.

Which is all to say that the plastics in that playfield photo, and the color under the leg on the cabinet, are probably about the best you're going to do for a reference on the "correct" purple color at this point.

#6 4 years ago

I'm the one who scanned that photo for the IPDB, but I was doing many hundreds of photos and didn't spend too long on any one of them restoring the colors perfectly. I just had another run at that one, trying to balance out the red channel better and this is what I came up with. It's subtle, but this is probably closer to the truth (with the usual caveats, including the variations between monitors, how this website will inevitably slightly alter the color space when I upload the image, etc.)

williams_miss_o_pr_photo_01_redfix (resized).jpgwilliams_miss_o_pr_photo_01_redfix (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

Does anyone have any idea why Cue-T (the Add-A-Ball version released three months before) has a five digit score while Miss-O has just four digits?

/Mark

#8 4 years ago

thanks very much, I was originally thinking I would need to redo the plastics as they have gone purplish but it looks like that was the intent. Mine are not quite as orangeish (is that a word?) in the yellow areas but all in all it looks like it is not too bad.
Miss-O PF Pre-Anything (3) (resized).JPGMiss-O PF Pre-Anything (3) (resized).JPG

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Does anyone have any idea why Cue-T (the Add-A-Ball version released three months before) has a five digit score while Miss-O has just four digits?
/Mark

I think many AAB versions of Williams games have higher scoring, including often an extra digit of score reels. Maybe it's just psychology? If you can't win games, at least you can get a higher score? (And you'd tend to, as there would on average be more balls per game, instead of more games, to maintain about the same average playtime per amount of money inserted.)

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

I'm the one who scanned that photo for the IPDB,

Duncan, just how closely have you looked at some of those Promotional Photos of the games from the Williams (SK) archive?
I was noticing the other day that on the Promo photo for 4 Roses
its S/I card is actually for King Pin, as it talks about replays for earning strikes,
though they did paste the name 4 Roses over where the name King Pin would normally go.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/938/Williams_1962_4_Roses_Promotional_Photo_Large_Size.pdf
Also on 3 Coins, the S/I card used in that photo shoot was from Skill Ball, ( an AAB pin)
there they did not attempt to hide the fact it was from wrong game.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2535/Williams_1962_3_Coins_Promotional_Photo_Large_Size.pdf

learn something everyday
cheers and
thanks for sharing all those promo photos.
hope there are still more that ipdb/org has not posted yet.

Sorry OP to be so off topic, but found it to be a bit of interesting trivia

#11 4 years ago

Yes, they were totally not careful at all with "photo shoot games" - my 600DPI scans of 8x10 photos show details that would never be seen on a halftone reproduction on a flyer. Instruction cards are wrong, bumper cap colors are wrong, all kinds of things are wrong.

My favorite find was a photo before it had been retouched to show just the game, kind of a behind the scenes look at how they took the photos:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2485&picno=63125&zoom=1

SO MANY interesting things going on there!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

SO MANY interesting things going on there!

Is that a Bally Time Tunnel head without the BG on the shelf there at Williams?
Interesting!!

Guess not since Time Tunnel was a 4 Player and hypno tunnel was on Playfield not in BackBox
Wonder what WMS game (prototype) pin it came from.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Is that a Bally Time Tunnel head without the BG on the shelf there at Williams?
Interesting!!
Guess not since Time Tunnel was a 4 Player and hypno tunnel was on Playfield not in BackBox
Wonder what WMS game (prototype) pin it came from.

No amount of searching through Williams documentation has provided me the answer to that question. Definitely a "time tunnel" type device, but wrong manufacturer! The location is the prototype build-up lab at 3401 N. California Ave, so it could be absolutely anything. We can't see enough of the playfield sitting on the pin jack, to provide a platform for the rear legs, for us to know what it might be. And on and on.

#14 4 years ago

I have a Miss-O and a Cue-T. I will post some pictures.

Williams Cue-T Play Field #1 (resized).JPGWilliams Cue-T Play Field #1 (resized).JPGWilliams Miss-O Play Field (resized).jpgWilliams Miss-O Play Field (resized).jpg
#15 4 years ago

interesting, one has the yellow A-B-C-D and one has green and a 10 point in pop center rather than a "Jet" - that first one looks like it hasn't faded too much, the yellows look a little richer (probably because the red is still in it)

#16 4 years ago

It is hard to tell since the glass is dirty on the Miss-O but, it is not in too bad condition. The Cue-T I have 100% working. I have not yet started on the Miss-O repairs.

#17 4 years ago

I will post the back glass for both. I have seen two variations of each one.

Williams Cue-T Back Glass #1 (resized).JPGWilliams Cue-T Back Glass #1 (resized).JPGWilliams Cue-T Back Glass #2 (resized).jpgWilliams Cue-T Back Glass #2 (resized).jpgWilliams Miss-O Back Glass (resized).jpgWilliams Miss-O Back Glass (resized).jpg
#18 4 years ago
Quoted from hazmat7719:

I have a Miss-O and a Cue-T. I will post some pictures.[quoted image][quoted image]

Note my theory holds true here, of 10* the scoring on the AAB version (see all the painted scores on the PF), and an extra digit of score reels to handle it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/miss-o-color-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.