(Topic ID: 68695)

Mirror blades: who makes the best ones?

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballInc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 10 years ago

They are all the same metal, same gauge, laser cut so there really isn't any difference...except for price. The mirror blade idea was from Henrik at Pinball Dreams (www.pinball-dreams) in Germany. Very bright guy, all the others are copies of his work. Pinball Dreams is also the company who created the lit aprons, another really cool ideal.

#10 10 years ago

Please see my previous post. The Pinball Decal blades are being made by our machine shop guys(the one that makes our switch brackets, ect). I introduced Joey to them so I know how they are made. He got the pattern from Henrik at Pinball Dreams when Henrik sent him blades to sell. He had them copied and they are, like all others, laser cut to the exact same pattern.

Trust me they are all made using the same metal from the same metal manufacturer. Installation is either with screws or some use double sided adhesive (transfer adhesive) which you can get from U-Line. The adhesive process is the best process as it is the lowest profile.

#12 10 years ago

Sorry, to clarify, the screws stick out a bit which is the point of the highest profile.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

Indeed the screws stick out a bit, but they are well below the playfield with the playfield down and thus have no relevance to any decrease in clearance. On the other hand using an adhesive tape does decrease clearance X2 (both sides) and side mirror removal for any reason is not only difficult but has caused damage to wood sides and side mirrors when removed.
    Some producers also provide or recommend felt on the playfield edges. This has been a disaster when the felt pulls of and the felt adhesive gets all over the mirrors and playfield. If you fear scratching your side mirrors when elevating your playfield, why not put some paper between the playfield and mirror before raise the playfield.
    I have removed standard side mirrors to install colored mirror sides and was able to reuse the standard mirrors on another machine as original screw mounting permitted ease of removal with no damage to the sides or mirrors. The screws are very small and do not require any cabinet drilling for installation as they self tap into the wood through pre-drilled/cut holes in the side mirrors.
    Side mirrors for the money is one of the easiest and inexpensive ways to add some life to your playfield.

Good point, transfer adhesive is so thin that the difference is negligible. It's been a while since I've seen the install using screws, what attaches the top of the blade to the cabinet?

I agree with the adhesive if you remove you'll most likely have to do some touch up.

You may have an idea, someone should come up with a guide to put between the blades and the PF when lifting. I think paper would not be very good, it would have to be something that won't tear like thin plastic or something along that line.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballInc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirror-blades-who-makes-the-best-ones?tu=PinballInc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.