(Topic ID: 234087)

Mirror blades on Addams Family - yay or nay?

By EvanDickson

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TRON Black 1 (resized).JPG
Tron Black 3 (resized).JPG
Traon Black 2 (resized).JPG
TAF black mirror 2 (resized).jpg
taf black mirror (resized).jpg
Blades - No Flash (resized).JPG
IMG_1420_zps09021f08 (resized).jpg
TAF - Black.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Just curious what ppl think on this. Is it better with the flat black cabinet paint, because the game and artwork are dark to begin with? Or is it better with mirror blades to light that mofo up?

#2 5 years ago

Here's the thing aboot Mirror Blades; you never notice them when playing...never, not once.
I got a pair years ago on black Friday just to check them out. I spent my monies, installed them, and that's literally the last time I've noticed them
But I'm not much of a machine presenter to begin with.

I'm sure it will reflect some more light though.

#4 5 years ago

The two most popular mods are mirrored blades and color dmd. When you are playing the game you never notice either one, ever. They only make the game look nice. When you line a few of them up with mirrored blades they looks fantastic. Pinball Bling for me! We have them on most of our games.

TAF standard lighting is quite dim. A set of mirrored blades and a bit more lighting definitely makes the game pop.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

The two most popular mods are mirrored blades and color dmd. When you are playing the game you never notice either one, ever. They only make the game look nice. When you line a few of them up with mirrored blades they looks fantastic. Pinball Bling for me! We have them on most of our games.
TAF standard lighting is quite dim. A set of mirrored blades and a bit more lighting definitely makes the game pop.

This is pretty much right on. They do make the game look amazing, but no, you don’t really notice them when you’re playing.

#6 5 years ago

huh, I look at the DMD/LCD all the time.

#7 5 years ago

I own a fair amount of pins. I personally don't care for mirror blades, never have. I don't like the way the mirror reflects reversely on brackets, screws, mechs, rails etc. Just my personal opinion.

#8 5 years ago

Mirror blades are so 2015

#9 5 years ago

I have blades on mine. I like the was they added some spaciousness and an uptick in light

#10 5 years ago

Mirror blades look great on all games. They give the game more depth imo especially when lit properly with LEDs. I'm way toolazy to install them though, they are a pita lol

#11 5 years ago

What do people do (if anything) about the ramp diverter whacking the mirror blade instead of the cabinet? Presumably it must leave a mark before long..

Agree with what people have said about mirror blades, however whilst you might not see them once playing you can be sure that you'll see the first deep scratch you put on them

#12 5 years ago

I vote no. They're nice and I like them, but having to lift a playfield a few times, they get dicked up. Yeah, you can put felt on but it's a PITA.

#13 5 years ago

Black blades look awesome while still maintaining a classic vibe. Their a little more expensive though but I have a set on my TZ and AFM. Either way, they install/uninstall within minutes.

#14 5 years ago

I personally like mirror blades, especially on older games. They help light them up better. But, the new hotness is the art blades.

People always comment that they get scratched. But, there have been protectors available for quite a while that will prevent damage (also you can skip the playfield felt edgers):
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

They are easy to install and look great, so I'm all for them.

#15 5 years ago

I use to make silver, gold and black mirror blades back in 2013 and a couple of batches sent to Hot Rodded Pins, with one set put in a TAF - looked good.
TAF - Black.jpgTAF - Black.jpg

here is a black set in a tron
IMG_1420_zps09021f08 (resized).jpgIMG_1420_zps09021f08 (resized).jpg

this is a side by side comparison of silver / gold and black
Blades - No Flash (resized).JPGBlades - No Flash (resized).JPG

Yes you don't notice them much when playing but they do add a little more depth and light reflection and black is subtle bling still looking classic with a bit of light reflection but can confirm the cost to make (black & gold) was close to double due to the manufacturing process. When I made them I made silvers for $40AUD a set and Gold and Black would cost close to $90 a set to make. I still have a black set stashed for creature (after a restore) and probably ghostbusters or munsters down the track.

hope the photos help your decision

#16 5 years ago

found a few more photos - TAF

TAF black mirror 2 (resized).jpgTAF black mirror 2 (resized).jpgtaf black mirror (resized).jpgtaf black mirror (resized).jpg
#17 5 years ago

and some more of tron to give you an idea of black mirror

first one is black mirror on rhs onlyTraon Black 2 (resized).JPGTraon Black 2 (resized).JPG

then installed on both sidesTron Black 3 (resized).JPGTron Black 3 (resized).JPG

another viewTRON Black 1 (resized).JPGTRON Black 1 (resized).JPG

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

huh, I look at the DMD/LCD all the time.

*rimshot*

#19 5 years ago

I mean I do...like constantly I didn't know it was a rarity.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 49.99
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirror-blades-on-addams-family-yay-or-nay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.