Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Sideways
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1264 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1270 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1269 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1268 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1267 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1259 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1257 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1255 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1253 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1254 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 4.47.17 pm (resized).png
    86B2163E-D3B3-4905-B5A1-AD384E942114 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Fellow Pinsiders - anyone have an issue with mirror blades not fitting in your machine? I recently purchased a set for my Demolition Man and the pre drilled holes on the blades do not match up with the hinge bolt holes on the inside of the cabinet. I contacted the company I purchased them from and they said it’s not uncommon and recommended I cut the blades to fit using a hacksaw or a cutting wheel. I’m relatively new to pinball but just curious if this is normal. I was expecting to be able to install without having to make any modifications. Is it possible my machine could have shifted over time?

86B2163E-D3B3-4905-B5A1-AD384E942114 (resized).jpeg86B2163E-D3B3-4905-B5A1-AD384E942114 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

question - if you line up the hole on your mirror blade to the bolt / hinge bolt hole where does the top edge sit in relation to just under the glass slide plastic?

#3 2 years ago

also I use to make mirror blades and this is the hole location in reference to the back and top / bottom edge

dimensions are metric in millimeters OR divide by 25.4 for imperial

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 4.47.17 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-02-27 at 4.47.17 pm (resized).png
    #4 2 years ago

swinks If I line the holes up, the the mirror blades move up enough that they interfere with the playfield glass.

#5 2 years ago

Pretty sure the hinge bolt hole on DM is in a different position then other B/W’s due to the gun handles. You can drill the correct holes, or I just installed over them.

#6 2 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. No need to have the bolts exposed, unless the offset bothers you. If you need to remove bolts later, just pull blades off

#7 2 years ago

Ran into this recently with my Wonka. I just used a step bit to increase the hole enough so the bolt fit through the hole without raising the blade above the plastic glass guide.

9 months later
    #8 1 year ago

Just ran into the same issue with my Demolition Man machine too. emcdan77 What solution did you end up going with?

I am planning to use a step drill to modify the blades similar to @aquapin.

IMG_1253 (resized).jpgIMG_1253 (resized).jpgIMG_1254 (resized).jpgIMG_1254 (resized).jpgIMG_1255 (resized).jpgIMG_1255 (resized).jpgIMG_1257 (resized).jpgIMG_1257 (resized).jpg

#9 1 year ago

It happened with me a few days ago on a Riverboat Gambler with the PDI gold-plated mirror blades. I just used a Dremel to widen just the top of the hole 1/4" rather than make the entire hole larger. Yours look misaligned even more than mine, and some of your hole might be exposed after reinstalling your backbox hinge bolts.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

It happened with me a few days ago on a Riverboat Gambler with the PDI gold-plated mirror blades. I just used a Dremel to widen just the top of the hole 1/4" rather than make the entire hole larger. Yours look misaligned even more than mine, and some of your hole might be exposed after reinstalling your backbox hinge bolts.

Ok, good to know. Thank you. I thought about doing a Dremel as well... and you are right... some of the hole might be exposed. I thought about covering the exposed hole with a washer, but all of this just feels wrong.

#11 1 year ago

I decided to take the plunge and use the Dremel. It worked out and the exposed hole isn't too bad. After all, it's better than no mirrors! Also, for future reference, I highly recommend some blade protectors (pinball universe) to allow moving the playfield without scratching them.

IMG_1258 (resized).jpgIMG_1258 (resized).jpgIMG_1259 (resized).jpgIMG_1259 (resized).jpgIMG_1267 (resized).jpgIMG_1267 (resized).jpgIMG_1268 (resized).jpgIMG_1268 (resized).jpgIMG_1269 (resized).jpgIMG_1269 (resized).jpgIMG_1270 (resized).jpgIMG_1270 (resized).jpg
    #12 1 year ago

One additional thing. I tried using one screw for the front of the blade, but the DM handles are in the way. So I just put a screw at the bottom of the blade to let it rest on it. This works, but it does get in the way of the playfield.

Instead, I would recommend just using double-sided tape and let the backbox screw handle the rest of it.

IMG_1264 (resized).jpgIMG_1264 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirror-blades-not-fitting?hl=flipper_mcgavin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.