(Topic ID: 144198)

Mirror Blades - 50's style

By Shapeshifter

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nags_side_rails_2_(resized).JPG
    Nags_Side_rails_(resized).JPG
    327472-i.jpg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_9144.jpg
    IMG_9147.jpg
    IMG_9148.jpg
    IMG_9149.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

So, most will know how popular mirror blades are with SS pins.

Well, it didn't really occur to me that Gottlieb 1950's woodrails have mirror blades on them but because they are so dull, dirty etc it is not really a feature and I hadn't paid much attention to this part of the game.

Anyway, one picture is of a set that were re-chromed ( already on the game when I bought ). They really do reflect light nicely.

Other photos are of how they usually look like. And one set I had to clean with metal polish and soft cloth as they had rusted. It was only while cleaning I thought........should I be doing this on all my games? Do others do this? It is keeping game original and when new they must have really looked great.

So, I am undecided if I have to polish or leave as is?! Thoughts???

IMG_9149.jpgIMG_9149.jpg

IMG_9148.jpgIMG_9148.jpg

IMG_9147.jpgIMG_9147.jpg

IMG_9144.jpgIMG_9144.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Re-chrome them!

#3 8 years ago

Good job,polish of course!!!You want those gems to shine as bright as they once did!!!

#4 8 years ago

I take them off and clean and polish. Prior to those, Gottlieb painted those areas with silver paint.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I take them off and clean and polish. Prior to those, Gottlieb painted those areas with silver paint.

Good to know

There is always more work to do on these games - never ends!

And I wonder if pbr do the nails that hold them on? Will ask.

#6 8 years ago

Polish or re-chrome them. Most of the machines did not have many light bulbs for playfield G.I. so that reflectivity really helps brighten up the machine.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Polish or re-chrome them.

Yep.

Ken

#8 8 years ago

Shiit! I never even noticed them on the 1958 Sunshine I got sitting in my garage. Can't wait to shine them up next spring.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

1 week later
    #9 8 years ago

Realized I am not that happy with my finish - just used soft cloth.

So, anyone know if these should be nickel or chrome plated?

And if cleaning/polishing by hand - any tips to polish the chrome?

Use a buffer on end of a drill? Any compounds? Presumably not wire wool or anything that scratches?

#10 8 years ago

i had a custom set made for my egg head and reckon they look great327472-i.jpg327472-i.jpg

2 months later
    #11 8 years ago

Shapeshifter, have you had any further results?

#12 8 years ago

The finish looks like a dipped galvanized finish, but even if a zinc electro plate I am unsure they would have really shined.

I made the mirror side rails for my nags after seeing illawara92's cool egg head custom set in an earlier post. (still have two Nags sets for sale.)

Nags_Side_rails_(resized).JPGNags_Side_rails_(resized).JPG
    Nags_side_rails_2_(resized).JPGNags_side_rails_2_(resized).JPG

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Shapeshifter, have you had any further results?

I polished a few more but only about 5/10 as really they need to be taken off the game and for me to use a proper polisher - maybe later in the year!

#14 8 years ago

So cool to see this thread....I always wondered about the dull metal sides...looks outstanding!

Now, when, I get home, I'm going to see what Whoa Nellie will look like with blades!
    No second level features to hide a nice reflection.

Thanks for the inspiration!

#15 8 years ago

Anyone know what game or month/year they moved from silver paint to metal strips? I know my 1953 was before the metal.

#16 8 years ago

Interesting question as my 1952 Coronation has them. My 1954 Lovely Lucy doesn't.
    So, some games didn't have them.
    But, first game - not sure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirror-blades-50s-style and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.