5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wdpvideo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_1264_zpsc0df5c45.jpg
    100_1267.jpg
    HRP MM Silver.jpg
    HRP TAF Black.jpg
    IMG_0617.JPG
    image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

nice addition or no ? they arent cheap.

#2 5 years ago

awesome

#3 5 years ago

yeah some pics of them in machines really looked nice. thanks.

#4 5 years ago

Agreed. Awesome!!

#5 5 years ago

Dooo eeeeet

#6 5 years ago

A great addition but they don't enhance every machine, IMO. Look great on my Star Trek Pro…not so much on my Fish Tales. However, I guess one could argue anything looks better than the black sides!

#7 5 years ago

I think that anything on the sides improve the look of the game, whether it's mirror blades or side art decals.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from FLpinball:

A great addition but they don't enhance every machine, IMO. Look great on my Star Trek Pro…not so much on my Fish Tales. However, I guess one could argue anything looks better than the black sides!

TAF ?

#9 5 years ago

Depends on the machine really.

TOTAN for example no, as 70% of the left hand side and 90% of the right hand side is blocked by ramps or assemblies.

#10 5 years ago

Actually I don't have them on my TAF. But I bet it would look good!

#11 5 years ago

Redundant post.

#12 5 years ago

Always good. Make sure they are grounded, and that any coils under the PF are covered with electrical tape around the lugs.

#13 5 years ago

Some games look way better than others. Games that have side ramps that come all the way down may not be the biggest improvement ever. If your game is LED'd it makes the game overall brighter with more of a glow, which is a great effect.

They are a PITA to put in though, at least for me. Put on my MM and look good, put on my AFM and look even better with low sides

#14 5 years ago

where is the best place to buy these?

#15 5 years ago

Something you have to consider is adequate space between the playfield & cabinet, some being too tight are not good candidates.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from yoshootme:

where is the best place to buy these?

I am sure there a number of fine places but I have bought my B/W ones from Pinball Decals. Always pleased with the quality. And unlike some…they come with the needed tape and/or screws. Don't always assume your going to be getting those elsewhere.

#18 5 years ago

apparently they are very thin. and still allow room for the movement of the playfield. altho suggested dont lift the playfieldi if you dont have to. yes the ones at pinball decals look nice. they have two versions.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

Something you have to consider is adequate space between the playfield & cabinet, some being too tight are not good candidates.

exactly.

#20 5 years ago

pinballsidemirrors.com blades look great on my AFM

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

pinballsidemirrors.com blades look great on my AFM

have u got the regular or the mirrored gold/blue/black ? which are more than double the price of the regular.

#22 5 years ago

Are all these made of stainless steel metal?

#23 5 years ago

Mirror blades are made of metal, others have tried reflective vinyl and other things, but IMO the metal blades are the way to go. They are sort of a finishing touch on a really nice game, just give it that extra bling!!

#24 5 years ago

hey dg, is that right. you have 94 pins in your collection? wow. very nice.

#25 5 years ago

0.8mm SS is the common thickness and the gold and black mirror metal undergoes a special treatment and the material is double in price just for purchasing - here in Aus a sheet of silver is around $125 and black and gold is around $250. Reflective vinyl will show scraps and imperfections in the cabinet side.

#26 5 years ago

I have them on my TAF with LEDs and it really pops!image.jpg

#27 5 years ago

looks great indeed. regular mirror blades or the colored. ? black/gold.

#28 5 years ago

I have regular mirror blades on my Addams Family with LED's and my Elvis with LED's.
    On Addams Family they look good.
    On Elvis they look Fantastic.

Not the best photo, but it is the only one I have since I put the mirror blades on.

IMG_0617.JPG
    #29 5 years ago

To me, the look of them is more subtle than I thought it would be. From the player's perspective, the mirror reflects far less than looking from the side. But they look awesome nonetheless.

#30 5 years ago

As an aside, wdpvideo sells them and he is awesome to deal with. Buy with confidence from him.

#31 5 years ago

The clearance problem between the playfield and cabinet sides is greatest with older B/W machines that have cabinet warp that can be caused by improper leveler adjustment, age and storage problems. New Stern and JJP machines usually have sufficient clearance on the sides.

Cabinet warp can be seen when lowering the playfield you see a change in clearance on the sides as the playfield comes down.

#32 5 years ago

As an addendum to my previous post, when you purchase an older machine, it is best to avoid purchasing a machine that has cabinet warp or at least obtain an adjustment in the price. It doesn't help the playfield keep a level surface when the cabinet has a twist. Reversing the cabinet warp is difficult and a new cabinet is best.

wdpvideo sells at pinballsidemirrors.com

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

hey dg, is that right. you have 94 pins in your collection? wow. very nice.

Thanks, it's taken 25 years, but I'm getting there!!

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Thanks, it's taken 25 years, but I'm getting there!!

hehe very cool. do u think you might hit the 100 ? : P

you must have a big area for them. i know someone that has a huge type games room, and he can only
    squeeze 25 in there. (comfortably)

#35 5 years ago

I posted a long time ago about using construction paper draped over the side of the cab with these whenever moving. Don't bother with all the other crap on the side of the PF's, it never works right, and usually peels off.

Even machines that are super tight can have blades with this method, as all the rubbing is done against the construction paper, and there are no marks on the blades after. I have most of my machines using mirrors (20+), and the only marks you will find are from the odd time in the beginning I was stupid enough to think I could do a quick partial lift with no worries without the paper.

It moves around a bit, and it’s a pain with the extra prep, but it’s something that is needed whenever you are lifting the PF from here on out.

#36 5 years ago

I have mirror blades on most of my new sterns. Most fit easily and work great. My met premium is a different story. That cab is pretty funky and had no clearance and major pain in the rear. I was able to install but did incur some scratches. Still I believe it looks better then the black cab.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Always good. Make sure they are grounded, and that any coils under the PF are covered with electrical tape around the lugs.

More information please. And any pics of one grounded and a taped coil lug?

#38 5 years ago

i think it will look good on TAF, altho on the left side, due to the fairly high long ramps, it might not be as effective as the right side will be. i.e. a lot of the potential reflections will be lost./covered. nevertheless it will be a nice addition rather than the plain black cab. importantly, i will do this as the last part of my mods. LED upgrades, reflector to the bookcase, fester, decals, swamp light, etc all done first. the less u need to raise that PF, the better.

#39 5 years ago

I made heaps of sets here in Aus a while ago and some people sent me photos of installs, here is a set of black mirrors in a TAF and silver in a MM

HRP TAF Black.jpg HRP MM Silver.jpg
    #40 5 years ago

Just to complete the colour trilogy, here is a set of swinks gold set in a TOTAN.

100_1267.jpg

100_1264_zpsc0df5c45.jpg

#41 5 years ago

very nice.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

More information please. And any pics of one grounded and a taped coil lug?

b/w machines ground automatically, as the hinge bolt used to secure it is grounded inside the head. Sterns need a ground wire or braid. As for the taping of the coil lugs, just wrap black electrical tape around the solder lugs for the coils that are near or couple possibly come in contact with the inside of the cab.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

b/w machines ground automatically, as the hinge bolt used to secure it is grounded inside the head. Sterns need a ground wire or braid. As for the taping of the coil lugs, just wrap black electrical tape around the solder lugs for the coils that are near or couple possibly come in contact with the inside of the cab.

Thanks for the clarification!

#44 5 years ago

How difficult is it to install? Would it require removing the playing field?

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

How difficult is it to install? Would it require removing the playing field?

No. It's more of getting comfortable with it. I'll pull the pf up, fit them it, attach the front, pull the pf forward, attach the rear. However, every set installs differently, but none are hard. My first one took about an hour of figuring it out, after a few, like 10 min to install.

Most time is taking care to not scratch anything.

#46 5 years ago

Mirror blades look great. Something to keep in mind though is they make them in different colors. The straight mirror/silver finish might not complement every game. Some games are better with darker sides, so you can invest in the black version. I believe there are also non-reflective colored versions you can buy as well, which may look better in certain cases. On modern Stern games though, I'd go with the mirror finish or other variation of reflective blade, they really work well on these games. Bally/Williams, I'd put more consideration into it, as those games are usually darker, the silver/mirror finish might brighten up the sides too much, so I may be more inclined to go with a darker finish for some of those.

#47 5 years ago

Blue looks amazing on Tron and Spider-Man. I'll see if I can get some pics up of them

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 129.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 9.10
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 214.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside