Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Blakester
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AA1FDA2A-2870-4021-B03E-D003AC03C780.gif
    6A086B61-7493-4357-B0DA-359B977D59A5 (resized).jpeg
    motip-lakstift-blanke-lak-hoogglans (resized).jpg
    51618320._SX0_SY0_ (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    382.gif
    C40B8618-0881-4D73-9699-0C20ABD70F38 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.31.57 PM (resized).png
    C0749502-588B-40E7-A9BB-328D744A1A8F.gif
    2022-03-14 11.57.14 web1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220312_164750118_HDR (resized).jpg
    pinside (resized).jpg
    9B3562F8-D8DA-4C3C-9E21-C9167B92ACB4 (resized).jpeg
    275725937_291534306445272_1321849085611332762_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BrianMadden.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

When FAST came along, certain members of the PyPROCGame community wanted to add support for those boards to PyPROCGame and they were asked to not do that because the framework was built specifically to support the PROC -- so they forked the framework at that point and started MPF. When it started, it was very similar to PyPROCGame, but after Brian left and others took over it has evolved into a very different thing, and that's fine.

Upfront disclaimer: I work at FAST Pinball.

Just one quick point of clarification. I'm the "Brian" that Eric is referring to and the original creator of MPF. MPF was a clean-sheet design, not a fork of PyPROCGame. (Not that it really matters since they're both MIT licensed.) One of my design goals was to support all hardware platforms and devices, rather than being tied to the P-ROC only, so I designed MPF in a way that abstracted the hardware so you could plug in any hardware layer. (At the time I actually thought OPP would be the second pinball platform target since they started talking about that back in 2012. I started what became MPF in 2013, and FAST support was added in 2014.) I also had very early support for FadeCandy and some Pololu servo and stepper controllers and a bunch of other little things like that.

Prior to the creation of MPF, I had written several modules for PyPROCGame to add support for RGB LEDs, I think a match mode, OSC support, maybe a bonus mode or something? (These were not checked in to the actual PyPROCGame project because my fork needed some other changes to the core that didn't get accepted, but I think you can still see them in my GitHub account in my branch maybe? Obviously the modules I wrote for PyPROCGame are similar to the ones I wrote for MPF sine I wrote them both, though they are not plug-compatible because MPF and PyPROCGame are pretty different under the hood. Sure, there are lots of similarities because they are both pinball frameworks, and I choose to use Python and YAML for the same reasons Adam did originally for PyPROCGame (and I was comfortable with both since I'd been writing for PyPROCGame for a year). But of course there are similarities in all pinball frameworks. I mean there's only so many different ways you can do things. Just look at FreeWPC from the early 2000s or even Williams' APPLE from the 90s. The concepts of grouping hardware primitives into higher level devices, mode stacks, display stacks, heck, even the DMD dot data format... It's very similar, which is great. This is the value of open source. Build, share, iterate, improve, learn, repeat!

That said, I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to the P-ROC community and PyProcGame, and I learned a lot from that community and have many happy memories and it kickstarted my projects and ultimately led to my current career in the industry.

BTW the other day someone joked that since I am now at FAST Pinball, I must've planned all this all along when I was working with P-ROC and creating MPF and all that back in the day. I actually just joined FAST last month, and while I wish I was cool enough to pull off an 8-year long con master plan, I have to admit that I'm not that cool. I just work there now because I think what they're doing is cool and they're local to me in Seattle and I wanted a pinball job and, well, they were hiring.

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Your were asked not to add support for hardware to a software project, so you fork it and do it anyway? Buy the original author?

Ah, good questions.

Sorry, when I talked about a fork of PyProcGame, I mean I had a fork of PyProcGame that had a bunch of new features I added to PyProcGame. (Actually it's still on my GitHub from 2013.) MPF is separate and was a clean sheet design based on a completely different underlying architecture. (Both projects are on GitHub so you can check the details for yourself. Also you can go way way back in time and see all the commits, it a fun time down memory lane!)

The original author of PyProcGame was Adam Preble. Ironically he and I talked about this and he was ok with me forking PyProcGame to create MPF. (I also talked to Brian Dominy who created FreeWPC about this, and there was quite a long discussion in the P-ROC forums too back then.) In the end I decided it would be best to start from scratch and not fork PyProcGame for MPF, and in hindsight I'm glad I didn't since starting from scratch really opened up a world of possibilities which helped MPF become what it is today.

And yeah, I love working in a world where we all reap the benefits of open source and the work of those people who came before us! I'm the guy who created the MPF website and all the documentation (before I stepped away in 2017), so all that text in there about how MPF is using the MIT license to encourage people to take it, use it, love it, sell it, close it, whatever they want! I mean heck, MPF runs on Python, which is open source, and on Linux, which is open source.. you get it. I'm really looking forward to the day where someone who learns about homebrew pinball starts with MPF and then goes on to create their own version or fork. Very exciting!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BrianMadden.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mircoplayfields-at-texas-pinball-festival-?tu=BrianMadden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.