Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Blakester
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AA1FDA2A-2870-4021-B03E-D003AC03C780.gif
    6A086B61-7493-4357-B0DA-359B977D59A5 (resized).jpeg
    motip-lakstift-blanke-lak-hoogglans (resized).jpg
    51618320._SX0_SY0_ (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    382.gif
    C40B8618-0881-4D73-9699-0C20ABD70F38 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.31.57 PM (resized).png
    C0749502-588B-40E7-A9BB-328D744A1A8F.gif
    2022-03-14 11.57.14 web1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220312_164750118_HDR (resized).jpg
    pinside (resized).jpg
    9B3562F8-D8DA-4C3C-9E21-C9167B92ACB4 (resized).jpeg
    275725937_291534306445272_1321849085611332762_n (resized).jpg
    There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

This is only going to get worse as FAST and PPS already have a "contest" for the next home brew at the next Chicago show. I guarantee someone is already abusing the good nature of the homebrew community to eventually profit off of it. Hopefully; that homebrew person is not using PROC to develop that game and using the community and/or Multimorphic resources to facilitate a successful debug and polish for that game. Else; they'll be labeled for the same unethical behavior. If you intend to enter that Contest; have the ethics to use the FAST community and FAST support system to aid in your game development.
    Some people think that what they did is "ok". I do not. And I have every right to put that accusation forward for others to see and take into account before they vote for this product with their wallet.

The best homebrew to be made into a game is being put on by American Pinball. There was a lot of talk of ot during expo last year. Which Fast wasn’t even attending.

#152 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

No need
    Easy to get lost in the trees of negativity.

Really funny : coming the the guy with his assertions and who don’t respond or has any knowledge on this project whatsoever.
    You might start a therapy to learn more on the negativity to understand what you bring in here....

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from Warzard:

has any knowledge on this project whatsoever.

You keep asserting that.
    You are wrong; but free to keep believing it.

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

The best homebrew to be made into a game is being put on by American Pinball. There was a lot of talk of ot during expo last year.

You know what; you might be right about that... let me verify.
    I stand corrected and will edit my post.
    I incorrectly remembered FAST when it was American Pinball. You are 100% correct.

#155 2 years ago

Dude, why are you so angry about everything all the time? You are the most antisocial, miserable person I’ve ever met and see everything in the most negative light possible. It must be exhausting being so unhappy and assuming everything and everyone is terrible. Does anything bring you happiness?

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Dude, why are you so angry about everything all the time?

Seen plenty of posts by Zitt over the years, the vast majority of them have been helpful.

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Dude, why are you so angry about everything all the time? You are the most antisocial, miserable person I’ve ever met and see everything in the most negative light possible. It must be exhausting being so unhappy and assuming everything and everyone is terrible. Does anything bring you happiness?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad, dishonest people in the hobby.
    I’ve purchased from a few of them.

#158 2 years ago

I Don't know whom fast pinball is or what they do, and after reading all this I have even less idea.
    Cant we please get back to Mirco's horrible fucking quality and how he 's ripping everyone off?

#159 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I Don't know whom fast pinball is or what they do, and after reading all this I have even less idea.
    Cant we please get back to Mirco's horrible fucking quality and how he 's ripping everyone off?

Thanks for getting this thread back on topic.

#160 2 years ago

No the posts above are on topic. Mircos horrible playfields and worse customer service practices are not actually the topic here.

#161 2 years ago

Teaser 4

Free gift in every kit!
    motip-lakstift-blanke-lak-hoogglans (resized).jpgmotip-lakstift-blanke-lak-hoogglans (resized).jpg

Come visit our stand for a exclusive signed sparkled ce fuck you poster!

#162 2 years ago

What happened to the touch up paint?

Teaser ##5

51618320._SX0_SY0_ (resized).jpg51618320._SX0_SY0_ (resized).jpg

#163 2 years ago

They will still give me there money…

[image removed at the request of owner]

#164 2 years ago

Will Micro be making a formal statement at TPF regarding the defective play fields?

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Will Micro be making a formal statement at TPF regarding the defective play fields?

Bwahahahahahahahahahah

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Seen plenty of posts by Zitt over the years, the vast majority of them have been helpful.

Like how the government won’t pay his parking for jury duty?

#167 2 years ago

I want to enjoy the drama more, but I don't understand any of this programming stuff.

#168 2 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

That is the reason why we are working with Mirco. He knows how to build pinball parts and has a factory (nearby to me) which can produce a lot of pinball related products. This worked well for the kit and we can produce a significant part of the kit in-house.

Does he really know how to build pinball parts? Are you sure?
    His track record with play fields ain’t great.

#169 2 years ago

I went to the show I would probably distribute raw eggs and rotten tomatoes. What happens happens.

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

more importantly will anybody attending TPF actually have the testicular fortitude to ask?

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

All I know is that they were partnered with Kulek on the Predator fiasco. I'm not aware of any fully realized commercial product with thier name attached to it, but I haven't really been looking either.

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

They are essentially a competitive / alternate to the P3ROC system which homebrewers and companies like American Pinball and Spooky use to run their games. They make a CPU and other boards to handle switch inputs, drive coils, etc. It's also has it's own software development platform just like P3ROC. They also make a "Retro" platform designed to go in older games (like TOTAN) so you can change how the game works, right new code for it, etc. and I assume that's what this 2.0 "kit" will consist of.

EDIT: Spooky used P3 on games prior to Ultraman and Halloween.

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

All I know is that they were partnered with Kulek on the Predator fiasco. I'm not aware of any fully realized commercial product with thier name attached to it, but I haven't really been looking either.

Funhouse 2.0 uses the FAST boardset.

Quoted from bobukcat:

They are essentially a competitive / alternate to the P3ROC system which homebrewers and companies like American Pinball and Spooky use to run their games.

I know it's pedantic but worth pointing out that Spooky no longer use PROC, they are running a custom boardset made by Ben Heck.

https://macrofab.com/blog/mep-ep-167-benheck-and-the-pinotaur/

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from stumblor:

I know it's pedantic but worth pointing out that Spooky no longer use PROC, they are running a custom boardset made by Ben Heck.
    https://macrofab.com/blog/mep-ep-167-benheck-and-the-pinotaur/

I forgot about that, thanks for the correction.

#175 2 years ago

Could someone illuminate something for me please.

If this game is using a non-Williams boardset and none of the games video and sound original assets why is a fee being paid to PPS?

Am I understanding this correctly?

#176 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

If this game is using a non-Williams boardset and none of the games video and sound original assets why is a fee being paid to PPS?

Seems from the thread by the maker about his progress it does build out on those. Also, it's a derivative product.

I doubt you'd be able to market it the same way as a "2.0" product if everything were created newly. It would have to be "works with products such as Tales of the Arabian Nights".

I think the main objection of the people who have objections is that it's being marketed through Mirco. I'm actually surprised whenever anyone markets anything pinball related because there is always some group that objects to it in some way. The makers' thread on this is a great read on progress (as is the whirlwind one that is going directly 2.0 without PPS involvement AFAIK).

#177 2 years ago

Maybe you can also play TOTAN 1.0 and since it has the Williams assets it has the licensing fees to PPS.

Quoted from gdonovan:

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Maybe you can also play TOTAN 1.0 and since it has the Williams assets it has the licensing fees to PPS.

That would make perfect sense, running both 1.0 and 2.0 versions and choosing at coin up did not occur to me.

#179 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

I doubt you'd be able to market it the same way as a "2.0" product if everything were created newly. It would have to be "works with products such as Tales of the Arabian Nights".

Tales of the Arabian Nights is a non-licensed title with "the tales" dating back before the 1700's.

I doubt 2.0 would be an issue.

#180 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Tales of the Arabian Nights is a non-licensed title with "the tales" dating back before the 1700's.

.... except that WMS took the trouble to trademark it in relation to pinball (as they did with most of their titles.... since you can't copyright a title, but you can sure trademark it).

I'm not saying it's "right" (copyright law for sure has strayed very very far from what it was originally intended to do.... which was not "be a money maker for the rights holder in perpetuity") - but it's for sure how it is right now.

#181 2 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Skit-B was working with another pinball control company for Predator.

FAST worked with Skit-B on the Experts of Dangerous machine with Jamie and Adam from the Mythbusters. We decided to walk away from that project when the Predator situation spun out of control.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

6A086B61-7493-4357-B0DA-359B977D59A5 (resized).jpeg6A086B61-7493-4357-B0DA-359B977D59A5 (resized).jpeg
    #182 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

.... except that WMS took the trouble to trademark it in relation to pinball (as they did with most of their titles.... since you can't copyright a title, but you can sure trademark it).
    I'm not saying it's "right" (copyright law for sure has strayed very very far from what it was originally intended to do.... which was not "be a money maker for the rights holder in perpetuity") - but it's for sure how it is right now.

Last time I looked up copyrights for William's there was nothing aside from slot machines and in the early 80s some tech related to the Defender video game.

#183 2 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

All 2.0 games on the FAST Retro Platform also play original game ROMs.

Nobody who buys a 2.0 game kit should lose their original 1.0 game or have it not play as well, as a result.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#184 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You might be able to build an "independent" totan game (similar to a retheme). However, as soon as you reuse assets such as graphics, DMD animations, sounds, music, exising ROMS or any other elements (such as an WMS logo) copyright will be involved. Thus, you got to license this or you will be in trouble. And yeah, as Aaron mentioned, the game includes the original Totan ROM and can also run that which would probably be forbidden in most countries as well without a license.

#185 2 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

You might be able to build an "independent" totan game (similar to a retheme). However, as soon as you reuse assets such as graphics, DMD animations, sounds, music, exising ROMS or any other elements (such as an WMS logo) copyright will be involved. Thus, you got to license this or you will be in trouble. And yeah, as Aaron mentioned, the game includes the original Totan ROM and can also run that which would probably be forbidden in most countries as well without a license.

I'm aware of that, 2.0 was listed as having no re-used Williams assets so thus no license should be involved.

If it includes/reuses assets or has the original code in some way, then of course that is a different story.

#186 2 years ago

Will the board have chipping or pooling?

#187 2 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Thank you for making me spit coffee on my desk!

Our FAST Retro Controllers (as well as any FAST product) will not be responsible for any chipping or pooling in anybody's pinball machine.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#188 2 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Duh! The boards have to be chipped to function.

#189 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

The makers' thread on this is a great read on progress (as is the whirlwind one that is going directly 2.0 without PPS involvement AFAIK).

Well FWIW PPS just laid the C&D smackdown on the WW2.0 project this morning so... there you go. Citing use of "assets" even though it's a completely new boardset under project development, with completely rewrit code, and not yet for general sale

#190 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm aware of that, 2.0 was listed as having no re-used Williams assets so thus no license should be involved.

If it includes/reuses assets or has the original code in some way, then of course that is a different story.

Can you point he to where we listed that incorrectly? We used a lot of the original assets (+ colorization by us).

Quoted from tilted81:

I will make sure to get you some chips with your order. Just drop me a line with your order number and I will personally arrange that.

#191 2 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

Can you point he to where we listed that incorrectly? We used a lot of the original assets (+ colorization by us).

Pretty sure it was mentioned on this forum but can't say off the top of my head who stated it. My interest in the project is more in the direction of homebrew building than specifically TOTAN.

If doing a new version reuse of assets who be expected when possible as all new art and voice talent would be a hell of an undertaking.

#192 2 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

FWIW PPS just laid the C&D smackdown on the WW2.0 project this morning so

They do that to everyone. It's the unethical nature of how PPS does business.
    I'm also 100% sure that is:
    1) a method of intimidation intending to prevent people from moving to WW2.0 before he gets there.
    2) a method to extract licensing fees whenever he thinks he might have an opportunity

Can you provide a reference to this C&D announcement?

#193 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

They do that to everyone. It's the unethical nature of how PPS does business.
    I'm also 100% sure that is:
    1) a method of intimidation intending to prevent people from moving to WW2.0 before he gets there.
    2) a method to extract licensing fees whenever he thinks he might have an opportunity
    Can you provide a reference to this C&D announcement?

Perhaps, but these things are rarely so cut and dry. On one hand it does seem like a money grab; on the other you have to protect your assets (however those are defined or acquired) lest you lose any rights and oversight at all, or even become liable for things beyond your control. So ideally the operating world finds an agreement to run somewhere between those extremes. I spoke with PPS about licensing years ago and the terms weren't necessarily unreasonable, but they did make my product harder to market at a price point.

At any rate, WW2.0 is not "my" project and I've agreed to let the dev handle things from here, and pointed him to this discussion. So he'll chime in if/as he sees fit. This probably isn't the right thread for such discussions anyway I do wish I'd considered this might happen before bringing a demo to Louisville Expo, but that was with his blessing and encouragement (and work to fix a bug). Hopefully cooler heads will prevail for the benefit of hobbyists. We certainly haven't made any money on this - in fact I've spent far more $$ than planned just to get it running presentable, let alone the dev's time on the backend!

#194 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It still uses WMS assets, uses WMS Trademark'd names, etc.

#195 2 years ago

Well FWIW PPS just laid the C&D smackdown on the WW2.0 project this morning so... there you go. Citing use of "assets" even though it's a completely new boardset under project development, with completely rewrit code, and not yet for general sale

I'm sorry to hear that Mr Personality has has put the cabash on your project...

#196 2 years ago

WW2.0 is not "my" project and I've agreed to let the dev handle things from here, and pointed him to this discussion.

It is complete within the rights of the WW2.0 authors to completely ignore any such C&D.
    Assuming they are confident they are NOT using any assets from the original game.
    It is 100% legal for anyone to build an upgrade kit as long as you don't supply any art from the original game.
    IE if you don't provide a PF with existing art, a Cabinet with existing art, or software with existing art you should be completely clear to do what you want ... even sell it. It's called Fair Use and is pretty clearly allowed under law.

That said; I am *not* a lawyer. So consult one if you think you might be doing something where Mr Personality would have legal grounds to stand on.

A perfect example is people that design a completely new game based upon the old Atari 2600 video game system. No one; anywhere can come asking those people for licensing fees or send C&Ds for at unique game. Some people even sell game carts with new software - and they are completely legal to do so. That said; if you make Pitfall 3 and use sprites from Pitfall ... then you have problems.

#197 2 years ago

Problem is the new software combines with the existing playfield (which is copyrighted) to create a new derivative work.

#198 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Problem is the new software combines with the existing playfield (which is copyrighted) to create a new derivative work.

IANA lawyer but...

Combining it with the playfield could *create* a derivative work, but as long as they are only providing things that are not, in and of themselves, infringing on a copyright, then they should be in the clear just as like with any product, mod, etc.

What purchasers of that equipment do with it (hook it up to their WW playfield, hang it on the wall, use it as a foot stool) is not anyone else's business.

#199 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Personal use and he's not doing any duplication by just using existing parts sold by the company. They can't stop a public demonstration any more than Ford can't stop you from making one of their trucks you own into a foodtruck.

The issue is what 2.0 game is going to use 100% original likenesses, sound, names, etc... not much of a 2.0 project if it has no connectivity to the original. Then it's just a retheme, might as well go all new art then.

They can't stop you from using an existing game. Where they stop you is when you reproduce, create new stuff based on their copyrighted material, or distribute their prior work.

#200 2 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Thank you for making me spit coffee on my desk!
    Our FAST Retro Controllers (as well as any FAST product) will not be responsible for any chipping or pooling in anybody's pinball machine.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Lol exactly the reaction I was looking for, just trying to have a lil fun and keep it real.

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mircoplayfields-at-texas-pinball-festival-/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.